Mapsource missing feature

Hi,

I'm not sure to post in the correct forum, sorry if it is the case and please show me the good way :)

It seems that it is not possible, using Mapsource, to change in a track road, a via point into a waypoint or reversal. It is also not possible in a track road, to modify a via point. (it is the same in Basecamp)

To do so, I need to use external converter softwares and it is very heavy and long.

I would like to know where I can post my questions to Garmin to ask them to add this feature in the Mapsource software.

In advance thank you for your help :D

Edited by Dorémifa

I think something is getting messed up in the translation. I believe you mean "Route".

You can do all of those in MapSource if you follow the correct workflow:

1. Use the waypoint tool to make your viapoints for a route.

2. Select the waypoints for the route, right click and select "Create Route using selected Waypoints".

3. Select the route and edit it to reflect the correct order.

4. Click on any of the Via Points in the route and they can now be edited, this will also edit the original waypoint.

5. To make waypoints from route viapoints, you use the waypoint tool and click on the map eveywhere there is a route viapoint.

May not be the best way to do it, but it can all be done within MapSource.

A viapoint redirects a route, otherwise it has no use, hence it is usually/always at an road/trail intersection. Go from point A to B via point C.

Whereas a Waypoint is a descriptor of a place, it need not be on a route. It is conceivable that a Waypoint "could" also be a viapoint.

I think something is getting messed up in the translation. I believe you mean "Route".

You are right. I mean "Route".

2. Select the waypoints for the route, right click and select "Create Route using selected Waypoints".

4. Click on any of the Via Points in the route and they can now be edited, this will also edit the original waypoint.

5. To make waypoints from route viapoints, you use the waypoint tool and click on the map eveywhere there is a route viapoint.

I agree for steps 1 to 4 it can be done in Mapsource.

For step 5, if I make a waypoint by clicking on a route viapoint, it creates a waypoint that is not a part of the route. Thus, when you want to edit the corresponding point in the route, it is still a simple via point without edit possibility.

You are right. I mean "Route".

I agree for steps 1 to 4 it can be done in Mapsource.

For step 5, if I make a waypoint by clicking on a route viapoint, it creates a waypoint that is not a part of the route. Thus, when you want to edit the corresponding point in the route, it is still a simple via point without edit possibility.

I think you misunderstand what needs to be done for step 5. If you have only a route made of viapoints, you then take the waypoint tool and click on each viapoint to make waypoints. Then delete the route and go back to step 2 and recreate the route with the waypoints, edit the order if needed. Now the viapoints are editable. This give go the item "making waypoints from viapoints" as you stated and also makes those viapoints editable. This is how the software works, I didn't write it I only use it. Edited by coggins
I think you misunderstand what needs to be done for step 5. If you have only a route made of viapoints, you then take the waypoint tool and click on each viapoint to make waypoints. Then delete the route and go back to step 2 and recreate the route with the waypoints, edit the order if needed. Now the viapoints are editable. This give go the item "making waypoints from viapoints" as you stated and also makes those viapoints editable. This is how the software works, I didn't write it I only use it.

It's clear now, thank you for the method. :D

Even if it is possible within Mapsource, it is something heavy to do. :D

It is the reason why I would like to know, where I can report to Garmin this need and suggest them to open the possibility to edit directly the via points of a route.

Regards