Garmin plans no update for Colorado 400t backlight

I just received an email from Garmin tech stating that the dim backlight under battery power is as good as it will get.

The tech also stated that there is no plan to change the 400t so the backlight will be on when starting the unit. The tech maintained that this is to prevent users from running through their own batteries too quickly. He stated that there is no plan to have any memory of the backlight settings other than the timeout setting.

What a crock!

He also said he was originally unaware that users were complaining about backlight issues.

Can you believe it?!

Yeah, from todays Garmin, I can believe it!

They seem to have dozens of techs/engineers that all work in different corners of the world and NEVER talk to each other. I've complained about the backlight setting being remembered across power cycles ad nauseum. I since jumped off the Colorado train and never looked back. I'm about to jump off the Garmin train.

Incompetence.

A different point of view.

If you look at the evolution of Garmin product design, having the BL off is the natural order.

eTrex = BL normally OFF

60/76 = BL normally OFF

Colorado = BL normally OFF

Oregon = BL setting remembered

Nuvi = BL setting remembered

For me I never use the BL outdoors, always use the BL indoors. Since I rarely use the CO indoors, no big deal.

People on this forum who cross share ideas and comments think they're the center of Garmin's universe. I can assure you all the forum members combined represent less than 1% of Garmin's sales, albeit a vocal 1%.

Of all the things I'd like Garmin to "fix" on the CO, the BL is not even on my list.

I think the difference between the OR/CO and older units is that you need the backlight on to see the screen if you are outside. Having both I notice this on the CO all the time and it is a nuisance. I would be happy with a 60csx-like solution, default to off but two quick power key presses that restores the previously set value.

I agree completely with Gocashers and his suggestion or do the same thing after the boot is completed.

Everybody should flood the coloradobeta email with this request.

This way they wouldnt have the excuse that nobody complained. :D

Thats easier said than done. They don't make the beta email very user friendly.

Garmin finds it important enough to have BL memory on the Oregon but not on the Colorado? It defies logic. They are the same unit less interface. Hence the frustration.

It's like having waypoint averaging on the Oregon but not on the Colorado? And the Track Management features, and so on.

Natural order of Garmin product design MY A!! :D

Edited by yogazoo

Garmin finds it important enough to have BL memory on the Oregon but not on the Colorado? It defies logic. They are the same unit less interface. Hence the frustration.

It's like having waypoint averaging on the Oregon but not on the Colorado? And the Track Management features, and so on.

Natural order of Garmin product design MY A!! :D

Garmin Colorado 400T v. 2.92 BETA email address is ColoradoBeta@garmin.com

I suggest we all send them email on how disappointed we are with the backlight issue as well as all the other issues.

People on this forum who cross share ideas and comments think they're the center of Garmin's universe. I can assure you all the forum members combined represent less than 1% of Garmin's sales, albeit a vocal 1%.

Of all the things I'd like Garmin to "fix" on the CO, the BL is not even on my list.

I've found a lot of forum posters on many different forums tend to forget this.

I think the difference between the OR/CO and older units is that you need the backlight on to see the screen if you are outside.

I won't argue with the desire for the backlight memory - but I'm surprised to hear that others use BL all the time outside.

I'd say I almost never use backlight outside, unless it's getting dark, and I don't have problems viewing the screen. I do tend to use it inside the car, and inside the house, though.

I'm going to have to try the BL out when I'm outside next time, to see the difference!

Edited by Dosido

I've found a lot of forum posters on many different forums tend to forget this.

So what are you saying? Shut up and don't complain about issues you feel are important because, don't forget, your a part of the insignificant proletariate?

It's not like people are asking for the unit's to cook them breakfast, they're just asking for simple things that other, similar units have.

I say call Garmin about your problems once a week, write e-mails, be persistant. Squeeky wheels get grease and they know that if one person calls with a reasonable concern there must be 100's of folks just like them that didn't call but feel the same way. I don't buy for a second that Garmin doesn't listen to their customers concerns. Customers ARE the center of any businesses universe.

I've not noticed this on mine... I can adjust the brightness with the scroll wheel from off, to bright enough to read by....

Not sure what the issue is... I wonder if we have different gerneration units?

Is there a way to tell that???

The issue is that the unit doesnt remember your BL setting between boots and you need to do it manually everytime it is booted.

The Oregon keeps the setting and you dont have to change it unless you want to change the brightness.

Edited by ZeMartelo

.....The issue is that the unit doesnt remember your BL setting between boots and you need to do it manually everytime it is booted.

The Oregon keeps the setting and you dont have to change it unless you want to the setting.

Its just not an issue to me in the least. Actually seems somewhat logical - and it only takes a second to adjust. Whatever.

The only feature I wish for on the Colorado is a trackback feature.

My only conclusion about this issue is that the dimmest setting of the Colorado must be different among the units!

On mine when it boots, the screen is simply unreadable at dusk or if theres any light towards it (like sunlight) and I always have to crank up the brightness to an acceptable level (which is usually close to the max) while other people claim that its perfectly fine at its lowest setting...

So my only conclusion is that the brightness level is different between units.

Edited by ZeMartelo

Having the unit automatically and silently go into a power-wasting mode on start-up is obviously a bad idea. Garmin made exactly the right call on this one.

I am curious as to what perspective you base your opinion? Do you own one? Are you an environmentalist who thinks the battery usage would destroy earth?

There are pro's and con's to both views on the backlight issue. Sure it would be nice to have the unit remember a backlight setting,on the other hand saving power for when you really need it could be deemed more important. A compromise would be to have an override to the default power saving setting. In the end,I don't find it an issue personally.

There are pro's and con's to both views on the backlight issue. Sure it would be nice to have the unit remember a backlight setting,on the other hand saving power for when you really need it could be deemed more important. A compromise would be to have an override to the default power saving setting. In the end,I don't find it an issue personally.

My ONLY point is this.

Shouldn't it be up to the owner of the unit if they want to run their batteries or not?

Garmin can say it's a "battery saving feature" all they want but the reality is that the one who buys the product should be able to customize the features.

Anyone disagree?

I wouldn't even care if it was a simple matter of tapping the power button to restore the setting. They can keep it off during boot for all I care but to have to TURN it up each time is a stupid thing

If "power wasting" is a typo for "making the screen actually readable if you're outside", then I totally agree.

But there are so many UI step-wasting steps required on CO that it's just another thing I've conditioned myself to do...at least this one is required only once each power-on instead of once per cache like so many of their other unfortunate user interface decisions.

Edited by robertlipe

If "power wasting" is a typo for "making the screen actually readable if you're outside", then I totally agree.

But there are so many UI step-wasting steps required on CO that it's just another thing I've conditioned myself to do...at least this one is required only once each power-on instead of once per cache like so many of their other unfortunate user interface decisions.

I agree, thats why I prefer to use custom POI's instead of the geocaching mode. So much simpler and with access to the whole cache info instantly isntead of juggling with options.

I'm new to the colorado. So new in fact mine is still in the mail. so I can't comment on the light being ok or not bright enough. but from what I have read Garmin see's this as a marketing issue.

the lower priced CO doesn't have the light memory function, with no plans to add it.

the higher priced OR does have the light memory.

They can argue its a power consumption issue Etc.etc. Think about it, why should garmin care how many batteries you use. Its not like they provide a life time supply of free AA's for you. They are hoping that little issue along with the other "missing functions" will bug some people so much (and it will) they will purchase the high priced OR instead of the CO or even better replace the CO with a OR.

From what I have been reading, Keep in mind one thing, Garmin does attempt to fix real problems, listens to its customers as a whole and releases firmware updates.

Garmin users could have it worse, I am transitioning from megellan, Their firmware updates are few, fare between and lacking, Their customer service blows monkey nuts, they see the customer and Cachers in general as whiney never satisfied ingrates. Don't get me wrong I love my Meridian Gold Its worked great for many years and still going strong, Its the company I have issues with.

I'm new to the colorado. So new in fact mine is still in the mail. so I can't comment on the light being ok or not bright enough. but from what I have read Garmin see's this as a marketing issue.

the lower priced CO doesn't have the light memory function, with no plans to add it.

They can argue its a power consumption issue Etc.etc. Think about it, why should garmin care how many batteries you use. Its not like they provide a life time supply of free AA's for you. They are hoping that little issue along with the other "missing functions" will bug some people so much (and it will) they will purchase the high priced OR instead of the CO or even better replace the CO with a OR.

From what I have been reading, Keep in mind one thing, Garmin does attempt to fix real problems, listens to its customers as a whole and releases firmware updates.

Garmin users could have it worse, I am transitioning from megellan, Their firmware updates are few, fare between and lacking, Their customer service blows monkey nuts, they see the customer and Cachers in general as whiney never satisfied ingrates. Don't get me wrong I love my Meridian Gold Its worked great for many years and still going strong, Its the company I have issues with.

If I can help it, I won'g buy another Garmin product. If they want to play marketing games, let them. If they think that I'm going to buy an Oregon they are horribly mistaken.

$600 is the MSRP for a Colorado. For that kind of money, it should spit out toilet paper if you need it in the woods.

The backlight issue would be simple to fix. The mere fact that they don't "want" to is enough to make me dump them for my next purchase.

I stand corrected on the price.. But my point is still vaild.

I am not so sure thats the case. The colorado is priced higher on the garmin site as well as on online retail sites such as gpscity.ca

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=11019

http://www.gpscity.ca/compare/oreg300&col300

I am not so sure thats the case. The colorado is priced higher on the garmin site as well as on online retail sites such as gpscity.ca

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=11019

http://www.gpscity.ca/compare/oreg300&col300

I noticed that too. What would explain the pricing level of the Colorado,considering that it's nowhere as good as the Oregon?

I noticed that too. What would explain the pricing level of the Colorado,considering that it's nowhere as good as the Oregon?

Could you qualify that statement?

The Colorado has a quad helix antenna that kicks the crap out of that ceramic thingy on the Oregon.

"nowhere as good"??

Could you qualify that statement?

The Colorado has a quad helix antenna that kicks the crap out of that ceramic thingy on the Oregon.

"nowhere as good"??

I was being a bit sarcastic. It was a poor attempt at humour.