Stinging nettle's (new to the forum)

Hello there folks

Sorry if I;m not posting this in the right spot :)

New to this gps finding thing ..My little guy and me are always outdoors going on what he calls adventures..I ususally mark fishing spots ..deer spoting etc ...My question is has anyone found a patch of stinging nettles near Moncton? I know this is a weird question but I am looking to make some tea and had no luck finding any ..Thanks In advance !! :D

Nettle tea? OMG! :) I had never heard of that and had to look it up. As bad as they sting I would think they were poisonous to consume.

Note: If you get stung my them rub mud on the area. If no mud around make some by spitting in the dirt. Works great.

Jewelweed works great for stinging nettle, also a great cure for poison ivy.....just crush the leaves & rub the juice on the rash. It usually grows near the water, in marshy areas.

Nettle tea? OMG! :) I had never heard of that and had to look it up. As bad as they sting I would think they were poisonous to consume.

Note: If you get stung my them rub mud on the area. If no mud around make some by spitting in the dirt. Works great.

World Nettle Eating Championship

CRAZY!!!!!!!! :D

I do belive that there are other mad pepole in the EU and it's not just us Brits. :unsure:

The chemicals in stinging nettles (formic acid?) is neutralized by soaking or boiling. Young nettle leaves boiled and buttered make excellent greens and aren't as bitter as dandelions.

So if I boil my finger, it will stop stinging?

you can try.

The chemicals in stinging nettles (formic acid?) is neutralized by soaking or boiling. Young nettle leaves boiled and buttered make excellent greens and aren't as bitter as dandelions.

Right. And if you smash your foot with a hammer, the pain in your finger will go away.

you can try.

No more stinging. Now what do I do about the giant throbbing blister that used to be a finger?

nettles are very nutritious.

I'll take your word for it.

There's a little confusion about "nettles."

Delaware, Ohio has a cache called "nettles, nettles..." IT means briars.

Real stinging nettles won't draw blood.... unless your fingernails rip the flesh open. Yes, Jewelweed IS AN INSTANT CURE - cut open a stalk and rub the juice on. The two seem to grown in tandem, they need damper areas, and partial sun, though the nettles can take more sun and less water, I think.

Look along the edge of the woods. Patches are usually larger than 10 sq. feet. In my experience.

Hello there folks

Sorry if I;m not posting this in the right spot :)

New to this gps finding thing ..My little guy and me are always outdoors going on what he calls adventures..I ususally mark fishing spots ..deer spoting etc ...My question is has anyone found a patch of stinging nettles near Moncton? I know this is a weird question but I am looking to make some tea and had no luck finding any ..Thanks In advance !! :D

Not crazy in the least. I ate my first stinging nettles this spring, although I've known for years that they were edible. But this spring, everything came together... I was out caching in the woods when they were still young and tender, I had gloves, and I had a large ziplock baggie.

I put the gloves on, and went around pinching the tender tips and tossing them into the ziplock. For dinner that night, I sauteed them until tender in bacon drippings. They were just fine. Much like spinich or any other greens.

For tea, you can dry the leaves.

The stinging is caused by little needle-like crystals of oxalic formic acid and histamines. Both cooking and drying destroy those. But if you cook them, you do want to cook them well.

In days gone by, nettles were considered the perfect spring tonic to rejuvenate the body after a winter of eating potatoes. There is a wealth of information about them on the internet or in wild food/foraging books in your library.

Some say that jewelweed or mullein will help with the stinging/burning sensation.

I have tried jewelweed and found it to be cooling, but otherwise not much help. Some studies point out that there is no reason that it should help (it contains nothing that would neurtalize the histamines)

Mullein rarely grows in the same area as nettle, so I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Edited by knowschad

I will add that almost without exception, even among my closest friends, the reaction when I tell them that I have eaten nettles is just like the majority of the reactions here... "CRAZY!"

I fail to understand that reaction. I don't get that when I tell them that I picked wild mushrooms. I don't get that when I tell them that I ate wild berries.

Its very much like the reaction that people had hundreds of years ago to eating tomatoes or potatoes, back when they were considered to be poisonous, I suppose, except that people USED to eat nettles... its just that our modern civilization has forgotten it. Educate yourself like those first people that took a chance with tomatoes and you may just find that you have discovered a very nutricious and delicious addition to your diet.

I will add that almost without exception, even among my closest friends, the reaction when I tell them that I have eaten nettles is just like the majority of the reactions here... "CRAZY!"

I fail to understand that reaction. I don't get that when I tell them that I picked wild mushrooms. I don't get that when I tell them that I ate wild berries.

Its very much like the reaction that people had hundreds of years ago to eating tomatoes or potatoes, back when they were considered to be poisonous, I suppose, except that people USED to eat nettles... its just that our modern civilization has forgotten it. Educate yourself like those first people that took a chance with tomatoes and you may just find that you have discovered a very nutricious and delicious addition to your diet.

LOL Looks like I woke some people up on this topic ..I still on the big 0 on hoping someone had tracked some down ..but I am glad to have somewhat educated people on the subject .I urge anyone who finds this stuff to take some and give it a try like you said there's a plethora of how too sites on the subject this is an amazing plant it has allot of good properties that for some people with heart and blood pressure problems would probably help them a bunch instead of poppin pills . :D

LOL Looks like I woke some people up on this topic ..I still on the big 0 on hoping someone had tracked some down ..but I am glad to have somewhat educated people on the subject .I urge anyone who finds this stuff to take some and give it a try like you said there's a plethora of how too sites on the subject this is an amazing plant it has allot of good properties that for some people with heart and blood pressure problems would probably help them a bunch instead of poppin pills . :D

If you want to find them just walk around the woods wearing shorts. That's how I always find them at least.

I don't even now what continent Moncton is on. You'd be best asking in your regional forums for your specific question. But as a general answer, I've always wandered into nettles in low lands very close to rivers (not counting the one in my garden).

Edited by Dinoprophet

Visit the NW...I'll show you where you can have as many as you want to pick...

Or I can do it and send them to you...only a slight hazardous duty charge... :D

I think I found most of them today. Seven feet tall! My arms and legs are on fire. At least I found the cache, too.

Edited by hydnsek

Nettle tea? OMG! :D I had never heard of that and had to look it up. As bad as they sting I would think they were poisonous to consume.

Hey Papa Raven, lets go out caching at Perry Lake. When I find the nettles with my legs, which I will, you can spit in the mud for me!! Then we can get Hock and TKYoda and SBC over and we will sautee some up and make some tea and not tell them what they are!!!!!

This is what I do with nettles...

nettle beer

Great stuff. :)

Hahah! I've got some good friends that homebrew, and they have teased me unmercifully since I told them that I ate nettles. I will have to suggest that for their next brew!

So, how'd it taste? Seriously.

Tastes great, Light ginger taste, with a bitter after taste from the nettles and dandelion. Best drunk on hot days with loads of ice. (like today here.. slurp)

Works out about 3.5 alc and at around £0.12 a pint, well worth the effort.

Edited by OOK the Librarian

No more stinging. Now what do I do about the giant throbbing blister that used to be a finger?

Amputate - it's the only cure.

OK, no more finger throbing (cuz there's no finger) but what do I do about the excruciating pain and all the blood?

You can complete the pattern and have no worries when it's done.

Or you can just quit worrying about it now and call it a day.

...LOL Looks like I woke some people up on this topic ..I still on the big 0 on hoping someone had tracked some down ..but I am glad to have somewhat educated people on the subject .I urge anyone who finds this stuff to take some and give it a try like you said there's a plethora of how too sites on the subject this is an amazing plant it has allot of good properties that for some people with heart and blood pressure problems would probably help them a bunch instead of poppin pills . :)

There is a forest of the stuff about 2 miles from my house. It seems to grow best in damp ground. By that I mean locations that remain damp at all times. Check out those kinds of locations where you live.

Springs. Floodplains. Along creeks. Seeps etc.

I don't even now what continent Moncton is on. You'd be best asking in your regional forums for your specific question. But as a general answer, I've always wandered into nettles in low lands very close to rivers (not counting the one in my garden).

Just this weekend, I ran across some in the Pennsylvania mountains, with no obvious water in sight. I noticed that they weren't half as potent as the ones I've come across in Michigan, though.

This is what I do with nettles...

nettle beer

Great stuff. :drama:

Hahah! I've got some good friends that homebrew, and they have teased me unmercifully since I told them that I ate nettles. I will have to suggest that for their next brew!

So, how'd it taste? Seriously.

Tastes great, Light ginger taste, with a bitter after taste from the nettles and dandelion. Best drunk on hot days with loads of ice. (like today here.. slurp)

Works out about 3.5 alc and at around £0.12 a pint, well worth the effort.

I didn't know there was a good drunk! Sorry... I had to say it. ;)

Edit: typo

Edited by The Ravens