FTF?

J0hnzilla

Can you be FTF if you're not a premium member? The way it makes it sound is that premium members get the new updates and stuff, can a non-premium member be FTF?

Yes, but the likelihood of you getting to a FTF before a paying member is unlikely because the info can be automagically mailed to them. And there are people who live for FTF, will call in sick to work, etc.

There are even caches that are not published to non-premium, although they are not common and if you wandered across it you could sign the log FTF and then sign GC whenever the cache was opened to the public.

Or ofcourse you could have obtaind the co-ords from a premium member.

I am pretty sure that redistribution of PQs or other premium member data is disallowed.

But if you are with the premium member at the time.

What about familys that have seperate accounts for their kids and only use 1 premium account as they only need 1 set of PQ's?

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I am pretty sure that redistribution of PQs or other premium member data is disallowed.

So are saying that if I have a friend that isn't a Premium Member and we go caching together and I have a "Member Only" cache in my GPSr he/she has to set in the car and wait on me? Or I can't give them the coordinates so they can help such?

I've read that this has happened and the non-prem member has been able to log a Mem Only cache by copy/paste/send link to log page.

So are saying that if I have a friend that isn't a Premium Member and we go caching together and I have a "Member Only" cache in my GPSr he/she has to set in the car and wait on me? Or I can't give them the coordinates so they can help such?

I've read that this has happened and the non-prem member has been able to log a Mem Only cache by copy/paste/send link to log page.

there used to be a back door for this as I understand - not sure if there still is?

I suspect that most cache owners would open the listing up temporeroly so that a non premium member can log it.

I don't think that there is anything in the guidlines that say non premium members can't log those caches if they have signed the log book..

The PQ terms/conditions, for example, include:

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to any third party whatsoever.

Not my rules, and I'm not trying to make anybody do or not do anything.

Edited by fratermus

Can you be FTF if you're not a premium member? The way it makes it sound is that premium members get the new updates and stuff, can a non-premium member be FTF?

I got an ftf yesteday and I'm not a premium member. You just have to lucky and check for new caches on a regular basis. The weekly newsletter Groundspeak mails out can help, but if the cache goes live at the begining of the week there will usually be 2 or 3 logs in it by the weekend, and I live in an area with a very low cacher density.

Edited by aniyn

I got an ftf yesteday and I'm not a premium member. You just have to lucky and check for new caches on a regular basis. The weekly newsletter Groundspeak mails out can help, but if the cache goes live at the begining of the week there will usually be 2 or 3 logs in it by the weekend, and I live in an area with a very low cacher density.

I wouldn't say you have to be lucky. FTF is nothing more than circumstantial for the majority of "logging stations".

You can, but its a lot harder. It's kind of tough competing against someone who gets a notification on his cell phone the instant a cache is published.

Caches with high difficulty or terrain ratings often go unfound for days or weeks, so if you concentrate on those your chances of getting a FTF would increase dramatically.