Maybe I stink at this?

simpler1773

So yesterday was our first time out. We were looking for two and we found both.

Today I set out with more and failed to find all 4! They were all 2 or less in difficulty and none of the logs showed others having trouble... how can I not find four in a row?

Two of them that we were looking for were micros and I really don't know what I am looking for, I assume a small container like a film canister, right? Even with clues we could not find these (and just in our defense, we really aren't morons :) ).

I may head back out this afternoon and look for a couple more, but feeling discouraged like I'm doing something wrong right now. Any ideas?

that is exactly how i feel too. i feel like this should be easier or maybe i'm missing something.

on one hunt i found a survey marker but no container so i'm not sure if there was supposed to be a container in addition to the marker. i thought it was neat finding the marker though. i have driven by there my whole life and never knew it was there.

Today I set out with more and failed to find all 4! They were all 2 or less in difficulty and none of the logs showed others having trouble... how can I not find four in a row?

There are experienced cachers that can easily log more than 4 Did Not Finds in a row. Don't ask me how I know this...

:-)

I would say that brand new cachers might want to collect a few 1s before getting discouraged with 2s. There are 2s that give me fits... remember it's the cache hider that rates the difficulty, not the other finders. And the hider knows where s/he put it!

Two of them that we were looking for were micros and I really don't know what I am looking for, I assume a small container like a film canister, right? Even with clues we could not find these (and just in our defense, we really aren't morons :) ).

I may head back out this afternoon and look for a couple more, but feeling discouraged like I'm doing something wrong right now. Any ideas?

It might be a good idea to meet up with an experienced cacher in your area and do a few caches together. When I fist started caching I tried to use Google maps and ended up not finding the first two I looked for because I was looking about 100 feet from where I should have been.

Starting out here in the middle of Australia, a lot of finds are easy, small plastic containers under a pile of rocks. I had a hard time as well on micro's. I would go to the shop website and have a look at some of the containers so at least you know what you might be looking for. I've seen some pretty devious looking containers that would either blend right into the surroundings, or that are so small and magnetic that could

be hidden up undersomething. I just picked up a micro cache from a local shop that looks exactly like a nut and bolt. It would seem to me that could be hid in plain sight and if you didn't know what to look for it could be over looked.

Also, there is a thread on here about cache containers, some I think would never be found except by experienced cacher's,

good luck.

We have the same problem! We found one so far, but the other two were a bust (but, today the weather wasn't playing nice with us, so that might be it, too :-)

I like the idea about going out with other experienced cachers...are there any mentor groups or a place where mentors and mentees can sign up? (It totally need a mentor...so add me right on there).

I had a DNF on a 1.5 star difficulty cache a few months ago. 100+ finds on the cache and mine was the first DNF logged. I was certain it was missing, until someone found it the next day and remarked that it was an easy find.

I also recall when a geocacher who now has close to 30,000 finds DNFed a cache that I, and nearly every other finder found easily.

It happens. Sometimes you just miss something that is obvious to everyone else. Nothing to be ashamed of.

We have the same problem! We found one so far, but the other two were a bust (but, today the weather wasn't playing nice with us, so that might be it, too :-)

I like the idea about going out with other experienced cachers...are there any mentor groups or a place where mentors and mentees can sign up? (It totally need a mentor...so add me right on there).

Try http://forums.ctcachers.com/ - it's a website for Connecticut cachers. Might be a good place to start.

Its also amazing that you can look for an hour one day....& give up, then go back a few days later & walk right up to the cache.

Oh, how well I know! And they're difficulty 1 caches too. It seems I'll have a streak of DNF's some days before I go on a run of finds. Coming back to those DNF's usually results in a "Duh!" moment. So don't get frustrated...it happens to everybody. But when you get that find after so many previous cachers had DNF's, it feels so go-o-o-od[:)] Have fun and welcome to the adventure[:D][:unsure:]

Thanks again for the encouragement!

We went out again and found 3 in a row of # 1's. That helped boost the confidence.

We back to one that was a DNF earlier in the day...looked and looked and looked. HUbby finaly got down on his knees to look up and under something and there it was. He almost glanced over it though because it was rusty and looked like a piece of the structure.

THank you again everyone!

Well, you've probably figured this out by now... whether you stink or not, you are hopelessly hooked so you might as well get better! :D The first cache I ever looked for was a DNF and it took me several months and about 4 tries before I found it. It was a guardrail micro! :unsure:

I was kidding about the "stink" part. You've already proved you have the qualities of natural cachers: curiosity, stubborness, willingness to ask and learn from the forums, and no fear of looking like a 6 year old to random onlookers! :anibad: Welcome to the insanity! :)

Well, you've probably figured this out by now... whether you stink or not, you are hopelessly hooked so you might as well get better! :D The first cache I ever looked for was a DNF and it took me several months and about 4 tries before I found it. It was a guardrail micro! :anibad:

I was kidding about the "stink" part. You've already proved you have the qualities of natural cachers: curiosity, stubborness, willingness to ask and learn from the forums, and no fear of looking like a 6 year old to random onlookers! :ph34r: Welcome to the insanity! :)

Excellent points! Thanks for making me laugh :unsure:

Its also amazing that you can look for an hour one day....& give up, then go back a few days later & walk right up to the cache.

In the same vein, I was amazed by how easy it was to find most of my early DNFs after I had a few dozen finds. A "geosense" is an acquired ability that comes from experience in the field and the more experience you have, the better your geosense will get.

I suppose I should add that I'm no seasoned pro at this. I've only been at it for around 6 weeks and have only found 212 caches as I type this, but I don't get stumped by nearly as many hides as I did when I was just starting. It's definitely a work in progress, though.

Give it some time, simpler1773, and try to remember that it's not a test. It's a recreational activity so quit dwelling on your DNFs and enjoy the hunt.

Pete

Bases loaded, your survey marker didn't look like this, did it?

Don't sweat those DNFs! Well, I'm still a total noob, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but we've run into some too. And some that would have been DNFs if my husband weren't even more stubborn than I am. :)

Or look for an hour then drive home only to be lying in bed and suddenly realize where it is and then have trouble sleeping because you want to go back and get it, only to finally drift asleep while counting ammo cans. . .

:D

Nah...

I say some days your on, some your really on and some you might as well stay home...

I have this one cache GCRCJB that a friend and I have been too three times and failed each...

One more and I'm marking it as a DNF... I've been meaning to get back to it, but I just haven't had the time..

I want to go soon, as its really driving me up the wall... If it is thill there we had to be right on top of it...

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

If I have an initial DNF, I'll sometimes go back over the logs of previous finders. In their effort to be clever, finders may inadvertently (or not) suggest a different way of looking at the find. It's kind of like "i've got a secret" for some people. the log won't make a lot of sense until you've been to ground zero for yourself. Finally, look at the name of the cache. Often that's a clue as to the location.

Joining in on the newbie lament.

I was feeling all cocky after finding some fairly challenging micros then headed out to a trail yesterday with 8 caches on it. We only hit four and struck out on all of them. Spent an hour on a difficulty 1 cache and still dnf. I just don't seem to have the eye for the off-trail caches.

I just don't seem to have the eye for the off-trail caches.

Not yet, but you will. :-)

The way people hide in natural settings can have a different feel than how people hide caches in man-made settings. Containers are more often disguised/camoflaged.

There was one that taunted me many, many times. The most frustrating thing was that it was pretty far into a nature park. I think it was 1.5 miles from the parking area to get to ground zero. So once I got there I would wander and wander and beat myself up about it. How could I walk that far in then give up DNF? Longest search time was about 3 hrs.

So on the (4th? 5th?) trip out the wife and I had been out there for about 45mins. Some cubscouts came over and asked what we were doing. One walked over, picked it up and said "Is this what you're looking for?" I had it in my hand and still wasn't sure until I opened it up. The cub scout apologized for finding it so fast (ha ha) and we told him it was a giant relief.

So don't feel bad.

I am totally in sympathy with the newbie's plight. I am merely an "advanced newbie" at this, having found only 117 caches in about 11 weeks. But I have searched for all types, and especially like ones with logs saying "Wow, Awesome hiding place!!" When you do find a "challenge" cache or solve a decent puzzle, it's even more fun than usual.

I've now got an OK geo-sense (intuition) that I apply depending on the expected cache size. Flat tupperware? Look under that log or behind that bark. Ammo can? Look for a pile of sticks behind a tree or log. Magnetic? Reach under and inside rails, benches and such. Other micro? For heavens sake, read the clue (or spend hours looking into every nook and cranny).

However...I have lots of DNF's on hides by a local cacher who likes "natural" looking containers. I just don't see them. Even when I pick them up. That very geo-sense that I've developed for standard containers totally betrays me when the container is unusual. :)

If you want a real ego boost, nothing beats a 6 year-old. I was right on top of one earlier today, medium sized container, searched for half an hour! Still nothing. I just knew it was gone or my GPS was confused. Then my six year old daughter walks up to me and points at the ground not five feet from me.

There it is....

*smacks forehead*

Well, you've probably figured this out by now... whether you stink or not, you are hopelessly hooked so you might as well get better! :laughing: The first cache I ever looked for was a DNF and it took me several months and about 4 tries before I found it. It was a guardrail micro! :laughing:

I was kidding about the "stink" part. You've already proved you have the qualities of natural cachers: curiosity, stubborness, willingness to ask and learn from the forums, and no fear of looking like a 6 year old to random onlookers! B) Welcome to the insanity! :anitongue:

Or look for an hour then drive home only to be lying in bed and suddenly realize where it is and then have trouble sleeping because you want to go back and get it, only to finally drift asleep while counting ammo cans. . .

:D

I hope this thread stays alive. It's a good one to read when feeling discouraged. Let's you know that "I'm not the only one............"

Some of these are the best responses to DNF's I've ever read. Fun and informative and encouraging stuff.

I've found over 1,100 caches and some of those were the toughest in the area but have flopped on my face many times hunting 2's or less. About a week ago I spent a whole day just to end up with 1 find and 2 DNF's. Plus no matter how many times I've searched..(a bunch)...I still don't know where "Skinny Mini" is. B)

Yep... you're gonna DNF some. Get over it! :D

Last Saturday we DNF'd 11 caches. We also found 96 of them. We also went to an event and visited with a bunch of our friends.

DNF's are just that...... part of the game.

I love to read the logs right after my dnf log. Sometimes a cacher with 6 finds will log a find right after mine.

They usually say something like "made a quick find", or "easy one". :anitongue:

It happens.

Yep... you're gonna DNF some. Get over it! :D

Last Saturday we DNF'd 11 caches. We also found 96 of them. We also went to an event and visited with a bunch of our friends.

DNF's are just that...... part of the game.

I love to read the logs right after my dnf log. Sometimes a cacher with 6 finds will log a find right after mine.

They usually say something like "made a quick find", or "easy one". :laughing:

It happens.

Yep, that is why I've never used "Phone-a-friend" or asked for extra hints or tips from the owners or other players. DNF's are a big part of the fun. If the owner wanted it to be easy they would have used blaze orange paint and a flashing arrow and if they knew you were going to just use "Phone-a-friend" and not actually try to enjoy the search they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to make a fake rock or fake acorn or fake mushroom, or fake grass, or fake tree bark, etc. What would be the point? I enjoy the search and I enjoy the find but like most fishermen I never forget the ones that got away.

Happy caching! :anitongue:

Hey I totally understand. I started in April and have had days that I felt like a total idiot. Sometimes it felt like I would be unable to find an elephant 20 ft away in a freshly mown hay field. Eventually it came down to persistance and trial and error. Still there are some that I can't find that other people seem to find every other day. (one near my house frustrates me beyond all control). At this point i have learned some of the hide tricks and it has become easier but I still have to say "you know what this one just isn't going to get found today."

During the school year I started taking a team of kids from my school and one of the lessons we had to learn really fast was that sometimes we would fail but we could always try again next time. One week we failed to find anything and the next they got 6 in a row.

You found 96 caches in ONE DAY? :unsure:

Srsly! I was just wondering about this sort of thing this morning. I've seen references to people finding 100+ caches in one day. How is that humanly possible? Let's say you were caching for 12 solid hours. That's one cache every 7 minutes!?

I've seen references to people finding 100+ caches in one day. How is that humanly possible? Let's say you were caching for 12 solid hours. That's one cache every 7 minutes!?
I've never been on a numbers run like that, but I know people who have done it. It requires some advance planning. They chose a cache-dense location that was near enough that they wouldn't spend much time driving there, and yet was far enough that none of them had found any/many caches there. They used a pocket query to find the caches they would look for, focusing on clusters of easier caches. Then they planned a route that minimized driving time (e.g., avoiding left turns). The day of the numbers run, they started early and just kept going: find the cache, sign the log (possibly with a team name, rather than with individual names), drive to the next cache, repeat.

I've been told that it's a lot of fun, but not something you want to do every day, and obviously a very different kind of fun from long hikes to find a few ammo cans in the woods.