Is there a bad geocache container to use?

gunnarbiker

There are certainly a lot of opinions about this and I'm sure you'll hear them here but I think everyone agrees that Ammo Cans are a sure-fire safe bet for any environment. Additionally, Lock n' Locks seem to be consensus acceptable containers. Beyond that, you're going to get a variety of opinions but a lot of the suitability of the container will come down to the environment in which it will be hidden. For instance a container that would be fine in the high desert of New Mexico wouldn't last long in a different environment. As far as consensus favorites though, the two I mentioned are good ones. Ammo cans are especially indestructible :)

I'm new to all of this and am interested in hiding a cache of my own. Is there an "industry standard" to what kind of container to use? For instance, would a semi-clear small tupperware be appropriate?

Thanks! :)

Go to YouTube and check out Headhardhats Geosnippets. I believe there is one about Containers. Good Hiding!

I'm new to all of this and am interested in hiding a cache of my own. Is there an "industry standard" to what kind of container to use? For instance, would a semi-clear small tupperware be appropriate?

People use all sorts of containers, and some of the best I've seen for keeping dry and not cracking are peanut-butter jars (plastic, of course). They're free, water-tight, and come in various sizes. Easy to camo with paint or camo duct tape, too. I don't think old yogurt containers are much good..they leak and break; small ice-cream containers work for years though. Around here, (Vancouver Island) most people seem to use Lock and Lock boxes, but there is a cost for those, even if you don't get the official, camoed ones.

Welcome to the Sport.

Bad containers... well, "bad" is hard to quantify, so I'll list a few I've run across that havan't been in the best condition.

Altoids tin in a planter bed: Well, this one was getting watered on a regular basis and when the bag finally sprung a leak the log was... waterlogged. On the other hand, an Altoids tin protected from direct contact with water seems to keep fairly dry. For example, under a bench.

35mm film canisters: I've seen a number that have gotten soaked. Basically the same deal as the Altoids tin, but maybe not as bad.

MP3 Player Container - well, no waterproofing at all and the plastic is quite brittle. Other then the log being soaked the container was in good shape when I found it, but I suspect that it won't last too long.

Margarine Tub - as it gets old it gets brittle and the plastic will crack.

Throw-away "Tupperware" - as it gets old it can crack and it's quite easy to not put the lid on all the way. It's ok to use however if your prepared to replace it every year.

Peanut butter/Jam containers - well, sounds like a good idea, but I worry about the food aspect. Take special care to clean it extremely well. A soak in a borax/water solution might work. Protecting the plastic from direct exposure to the sun will help extend the lifespan as well. That goes for any plastic container.

but I think everyone agrees that Ammo Cans are a sure-fire safe bet for any environment.... Ammo cans are especially indestructible :)

Not if you hide one in a city park. I hear they don't stand up too well to the bomb squad :D

That is a point well taken. By environment, I meant climate :unsure: Thanks for pointing this out.

Of course the location you're going to be placing it should influence your choice of cache type. I noticed my error there in not pointing out that some might not be appropriate for some locations after I posted it, got a phone call and forgot it. Thanks :anibad:

some of the best I've seen for keeping dry and not cracking are peanut-butter jars

Peanut butter jar lids are not water-tight. We came across a PB jar that was quite damp inside, and this was in Raton. NM--not exactly a "wetlands" area. If you use a bead of sealant inside the lid, it would probably help a lot, but plan on checking on it frequently.

As cache crop said, most people around here use the "Lock and Locks." Keep an eye out at Walmart...when they have a deal on them, I am sure our entire caching community descends on their stores! I have to admit to grabbing a couple for my lunches, though. They can be sanded and spray painted if you wish to camo them.

Picked up a couple of pill containers on keyrings (with watertight seals) and we are planning................

Somewhere on these forums is a thread about cool cache containers - it is worth a look!

Re peanut butter jars..it's possible it depends on the brand!! I know for sure of one cacher (check out Squirrelydeath's caches) here (and it does get VERY wet here) who uses little else, and some of his caches have been active and dry for at least three years. I'd guess the better the peanut-butter, the better the seal.

Never put a geocache inside a dead cat. It REALLY doesn't work well.

... do not ask me how I know this....

On a somewhat related topic, when someone says "it's in a bison", they don't really mean large bovine... well, not usually.

So, not to be a moron...but what is a bison?

Not a moronic question at all. A bison tube is a little metal tube that holds just the log and is teeny and evil :)

180px-BisonTube.jpg

My experiences with real Tupperware have not been good. The lids seem to warp after a few months in the wild. Other brands and dime store knockoffs are even worse. Next to Lock n Locks, the best grocery store bought containers are Rubbermaid Flex n Seal containers. The ones with the blue rim on the lid.

Some more bad containers:

Gladware and other throwaway containers

Chinese/deli food containers

coffee cans (plastic and metal)

film canisters

Altoids tins

PVC pipe

tackle and tool boxes

Sterlite containers

cookie tins

prescription pill bottles

Tiny and evil...got it! :) Thanks!
If you think bison tubes are tiny and evil, then what are you going to think of blinkers? :-)

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Blinker

Yeah, those are a bear, definitely a metro type setting thing, can't imagine looking for one of those in the woods. It recently, took me 3 tries to find one downtown (MPLS) that was in plain site.

On the same note, I just picked up a couple on Ebay and I plan on sticking one across from where I work. figure we need more downtown, gives people something to do at lunch.

I am almost always impressed with the durability and contents of:

• Ammo Cans
  • Lock 'n' Locks
  • Decon Containers if the lids are not warped
  • Waterproof Match Tubes
  • Preform bottle slugs used in a water bottle blowing machine

I am almost always disappointed by the condition of the following containers that always seem to get wet:

• Any type of magnetic key holder
  • The black and grey film cans
  • Most bisons, even with O-rings

I bought several Sterilite versions of the lock 'n' locks and painted them up with fusion paint. I'll see how they hold up.

I am almost always disappointed by the condition of the following containers that always seem to get wet:

• Any type of magnetic key holder
  • Most bisons, even with O-rings

Seconded. I don't think I've ever done a key holder cache that had a dry log. Bisons seem to be around 50/50, but the dry half are the ones out of the rain.

Edited by aniyn

My personal favorite to find is an ammo can (any size makes me happy). I've been engineering a pressurizing device that will pressurize an ammo can when closed so each finder gets that *pppphhhhhT!* fresh cache sound but I've run into a problem sourcing some of the parts (OK, I'm joking - but wouldn't that be cool?).

I just finished painting a few 1.5 Quart Lock & Lock containers I picked up at a local "Only $1" store. They are round with 4 lock tabs. They aren't Rubbermaid brand (just some made in China stuff) but I'm hoping that a good coat of Fusion Camo paint will help them hold up. I'm worried about the lock tabs mostly.

So my vote (from a finders perspective) is: 1) Ammo Can (where appropriate) or 2) Lock & Lock. Either seems to provide a good dry container for cachers to find, provided they are properly maintained.

Something to consider. If you can't check on your cache regularly the ammo can will be your best bet for longevity. Less likely to have a seal failure, get crushed, won't crack (or get punctured easily) and if the finish starts to fade is easily painted and replaced making it good for years and years of service. I only chose Lock and Locks for my first few hides to make sure I'm really into maintaining caches before investing more $$ in some ammo boxes.

Next to Lock n Locks, the best grocery store bought containers are Rubbermaid Flex n Seal containers. The ones with the blue rim on the lid.

I'm beginning to think that this Rubbermaid container is actually better than Lock n Locks. Or certainly as good - I've got a couple out 6 years, doing fine. I've not had any Lock and Lock last that long. The tabs break, or dirt gets up into the seal and wicks moisture into the container.

I've given up on decon containers, pulling mine and replacing them with ammo cans where possible, or Lock n locks elsewhere. This mostly due to operator error; people simply will NOT close the back edge.

Next to Lock n Locks, the best grocery store bought containers are Rubbermaid Flex n Seal containers. The ones with the blue rim on the lid.

I'm beginning to think that this Rubbermaid container is actually better than Lock n Locks. Or certainly as good - I've got a couple out 6 years, doing fine. I've not had any Lock and Lock last that long. The tabs break, or dirt gets up into the seal and wicks moisture into the container.

I've given up on decon containers, pulling mine and replacing them with ammo cans where possible, or Lock n locks elsewhere. This mostly due to operator error; people simply will NOT close the back edge.

Ive used the Rubbermaid Flex and Seal and they seem to last about 3 years before requiring replacement. I guess it all depends on climate and exposure to the elements.

I too have gone away from decon boxes. Some of it is operator error and some of the lids just don't fit very snugly. Now I use them for the middle stages of multis where there aren't any logbooks or contents to get ruiined. A strip of laminated paper in a Ziploc stays pretty dry fir a long time.

Don't get stuck thinking only small ones can be placed in the city. And that large ones belong in the woods.

I have see (too) many micros deep in the woods! Such a waste of 0.1 miles times Pi.

On the other hand, I have seen an ammo can painted quite nicely too show that it was a bicycle repair kit locked to a bike rack in a very busy city.

No one gave it a second thought, just needed the combo to open it.

Make sure its water proof. And remember, it doesn't have to be hidden, just hidden from non-geocachers. Some of my favorite are plain sight.

I think part of it is that it's easy to think they're closed once you hear the first click. I make a point of making sure all 4 corners of the lid are secure, but not everyone is aware of that.

But some of the larger beach safes are almost as big as decon boxes, and are much easier for most people to get right. I've had one out for 2 years, and it's been fine.

180px-Witz_Keep-It_Safe.jpg

What about pill bottles? I got some nice-sized ones from my mom, dog medicine ones. One good just for log and pencil, but the other one could conceivably hold coins... I am relatively new to caching, and haven't placed any yet, but working on it!

Edited by orangecamper

Gladware seems to be bad no matter how you use it.

Film canisters are next on my list but sometimes they are ok and sometimes they are all you can find to do the job.

Bad containers: Altoids tins. AOL CD containers. Gladware. Chinese/Deli containers. (I mentioned that a Chinese soup container was not good, and the owner might want to think about buying buying a Lock and Lock. He said: But tupperware is listed as a good container. Tupperware is a brand name. This was a Chinese soup container!) Oh, well. Not to mention the one hidden under a twenty pound rock. I called that one the 'smashed cache'.

If you're serious about hiding a cache, buy a decent container. They are not that expensive. A 'free' is worth what you pay for it: nothing.

A related -newbie- question ....

In my area all caches seem to be protected (?) by a plastic bag, a regular black rubish plastic bag.

I read somewhere this is not good practice due to the plastic bag retaining humidity, so moisture, mosquitoes and so on.

And of course it doesn't seem very ecological ...

Is there any rule about that?

Thks

All I can tell you is. I live in Nevada. All of my caches are in extreme weather conditions. From flash floods, 110 deg heat and in the mountains it is cold, snow, and rain. The best container is Ammo cans. By far they are the best for my area. Happy Caching :)

A related -newbie- question ....

In my area all caches seem to be protected (?) by a plastic bag, a regular black rubish plastic bag.

I read somewhere this is not good practice due to the plastic bag retaining humidity, so moisture, mosquitoes and so on.

And of course it doesn't seem very ecological ...

Is there any rule about that?

Thks

No rule, but it is a bad practice. I have seen this and it seems to be common in certain areas. I guess its a monkey see monkey do thing.

If you have a quality container, you don't need a plastic bag. If you have a poor container the bag will not provide protection. After a few finds they are full of holes and actually retain water. It's kind of disgusting having to reach into a slimy, wet bag to retreive the cache. Yuk

What about pill bottles? I got some nice-sized ones from my mom, dog medicine ones. One good just for log and pencil, but the other one could conceivably hold coins... I am relatively new to caching, and haven't placed any yet, but working on it!

Lousy containers. They are not watertight and they are brittle in cold weather.