Premium Membership

I remember there used to be premium members only caches a while ago. When I looked at the list of Premium membership features, this was not listed. Are there premium members-only caches any more or are all caches now listed under the basic free membership?

Premium members still have the ability to create cache pages that will only be viewed by other premium members.

Edited by sbell111

He's right... https://www.geocaching.com/Membership/default.aspx does not mention Members Only caches as a benefit.

I assume that is an oversight and not a harbinger of changes to come.

Still, the ability to create such a cache exists. The check box is still on the 'Report a new cache' form. I checked prior to answering his question.

Oh, I totally agree, I wasn't saying that MO caches aren't available as a Premium benefit, just commenting that the Membership page (to my surprise) does not mention them.

Here is a question:

Does anyone use the Member only cache option at all?

Yes.

All of our caches (except events) now start out as Premium Member only caches. I used to change them after a month to be open to all members.

When the new Geomate Jr GPSr came out I decided to make our caches Premium ones to keep them from being put on the Geomate automatically. I could probably move the multi and mystery caches back from Premium except someone was stealing caches in our area earlier this year and I want to make it harder for them to see our cache pages. Just in case they are still playing their game.

J

Here is a question:

All of mine are.

My question is why?

Another local cacher did the same thing. I asked them and they thought that they were less likely to get muggled. I mentioned how cachers that find them without PM accounts have a much harder time logging them (if they even log them at all). They thought about it and changed them all. Then they sent me an email telling them about the emails of thanks they got.

I have one PMO cache. It is a dangerous area where if you slipped climbing up or down you could die. I will gladly send the PDF and logging link to any seasoned cachers. There is another good reason though.

Here is a question:

All of mine are.

GCX0G2 is not. :D

Correct you are!

When I adopted it, it wasn't a PMO so I left it that way.

If a member finds my cache with a group, I will gladly enable it. Or if a established member wants to look for my cache, again I will gladly enable it.

I changed some of mine a while ago to try to build traffic, left them that way for a month with no result. There were 2 finds during that time, both by PM's. I guess I just make them too hard. :D

So, as to why, I feel it is a measure of protection from some kid (?) with mischeif on his mind messing with them.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my hides. Now, C'mon down and find them, along with some other great cache's!

See Ya on the trail!