Garmin County Caching comp

Any idea as to what should be done if the caches in your area have already been done :)

Do you just go and take a picy and submit it anyway :D

I could see nothing of this mentioned in the terms and conditions B)

What does everyone think :P

Doesn't say in the rules that you actually have to log the cache on GC site......so just go and grab your photo I suppose

Edited by SkiBums (UK)

Likewise we have a cache 46 miles from us in Aberdeenshire.

We have greater concern about our cache selected as we DO NOT want cachers posting pictures to the web page which could help with cachers finding the location of the cache from pictures.

The cache was done by this means once and the offending pictures and the LOG were immediately removed, the cacher had to log the find again.

Edited by Write and Mane

Any idea as to what should be done if the caches in your area have already been done :)

Do you just go and take a picy and submit it anyway :D

I could see nothing of this mentioned in the terms and conditions B)

What does everyone think :P

You could always log another find, and if you/the cache owner want's to keep the find counts correct delete the original find log.

Edited by MartyBartfast
Isn't this using geocaches for commercial purposes?

When you upload a cache listing, you authorise Groundspeak to use it for exactly this kind of thing. It's in the Terms of Use behind the second of the checkboxes which you tick at the bottom of the cache listing submission form, in section 6. You own the copyright of the material but you grant Groundspeak the right to re-use it. It's much like the relationship between the author of a book and its publisher.

There is a misconception that "Geocaching.com hates anything commercial". Groundspeak is a private company and as such they have no problem with advertising. What they aren't very keen on, is people using their site to do it without paying. :P

We have greater concern about our cache selected as we DO NOT want cachers posting pictures to the web page which could help with cachers finding the location of the cache from pictures.

The competition requirement is to upload a photo to a specific URL, not the cache page (I don't suppose anyone at Garmin wants to trawl through the galleries of 300+ caches). That in itself could reduce the chances of someone stumbling on a spoiler. In any case, my guess is that the photos which people hope will win them an Oregon will tend to include panoramic views, or extreme close-ups of cows or flowers, rather than cache hiding places.

That said, you might consider adding a note to your cache page to say "We are pleased that the location of our cache was considered by Garmin UK to be so nice that they made it part of our photo competition; however, if you take part in that, please try to avoid giving away any spoiler information in your photo, and remember that the photos for the competition are not meant to be uploaded here."

You could always log another find, and if you/the cache owner want's to keep the find counts correct delete the original find log.

I don't think the competition requires you to log your visit to the cache on Geocaching.com at all. But if you want to, then for a second visit, normally "Write Note" would be more appropriate.

The competition requirement is to upload a photo to a specific URL, not the cache page (I don't suppose anyone at Garmin wants to trawl through the galleries of 300+ caches). That in itself could reduce the chances of someone stumbling on a spoiler. In any case, my guess is that the photos which people hope will win them an Oregon will tend to include panoramic views, or extreme close-ups of cows or flowers, rather than cache hiding places.

That said, you might consider adding a note to your cache page to say "We are pleased that the location of our cache was considered by Garmin UK to be so nice that they made it part of our photo competition; however, if you take part in that, please try to avoid giving away any spoiler information in your photo, and remember that the photos for the competition are not meant to be uploaded here."

Thanks for that we were just considering adding a note to the cache page mentioning the Garmin Competition :P

Hmmmm Merseyside doesn't exist in the listings....

For England, at least, it looks like Garmin have chosen to use the "Historic Counties" (see Wikipedia). If you cast your mind back to February 2008, there was a long discussion in here about the merits of various county naming schemes.

Yep - our local caches are under the old county of Westmorland

Well they are not old counties they still exist... the new ones are for admin only... or so they said when they came in... Ours is in Westmoreland where it belongs... We did get an email as it is a puzzle cache due to it's hide. Quick email to show it won't embarrass GC in that it's legit. We just hope that any photos won't spoilt the cache for future finders by giving the game away. Cheers MaxKim.

I signed up this morning after reading it on the weekly email notification. After signing up it said I had to wait until tomorrow. I was at one of the local (Worcestershire) designated caches yesterday and after 3 DNFs and my 30min search I think it's been muggled.

Linky

Edited by Tavisman

Where did they get the information from?

They list 3 caches for Co. Tyrone. Two are in Co. Galway and one is in Co. Clare, all miles away from Tyrone. All three are clearly listed by Groundspeak in their correct counties. Has anyone found any other anomalies?

I'm chuffed that 2 of my caches have been chosen of the 3 that represent Carmarthenshire.

One (a secluded little stone bridge) in the middle of nowhere has marvellous potential and local artists can regularly be seen painting the gem that virtually no one, even local knows exists.

The other, a local reservoir needs a lot more artistic interpretation I suspect...

The third for Carms will beat my two into pulp though as it's got SO much more potential for "picturesque" as it's a ruined castle with spectacular views :D

I can think of other more worthy caches for photography in Carms too - but maybe part of the thing about this is that it's a *challenge* :D

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Well it is almost the end of the first week, and there are still no pictures in the gallery section. The rules say that voting takes place between Saturday and Wednesday, following the posting period. So perhaps we can not view them until then, or there are no submissions yet !!

I have viewed a lot of the selected caches throughout the country, and not many have been visited since the competition started. And as for "inspirational" pictures that will be quite a challenge, after looking at the selection made by Garmin.

So who has already submitted a photo? , I think I shall give it a go.

Regards Tarot

Well it is almost the end of the first week, and there are still no pictures in the gallery section. The rules say that voting takes place between Saturday and Wednesday, following the posting period. So perhaps we can not view them until then, or there are no submissions yet !!

I imagine it's the former. I presume that Garmin will want to pre-screen the photos to make sure that they are all family-friendly.

There are 42 from the first week, some of them pretty good.

Edited by sTeamTraen

Anybody got any idea why there are 4 in Kent, 3 in Buckinghamshire and 1 in Buckinhamshire - but none in Avon or South Glos. ???

Don't remember Buckinhamshire being an old county - lol

There are probably 4 in Kent (as opposed to the usual 3) because they chose a disabled cache of mine, which I couldn't fix as I was on holiday. I told GC.com about this and it looks like they added a new one without taking mine off the list (which is now active again).

Lisa

How do you upload a caching photo if you havn't found any caches

As has become apparent from recent posts...

"Everyone plays the game their own way. Don't have to log on line..."

This cacher could have thousands of finds... Everyone rush out and check your log books to see. :P

J

Edited by Dakar4x4

So - does anybody know broadriding???

No finds, no hides, no pics, no profile....... "caching" for 2 weeks???

NOT implying that it happened in this case (or for earlier winners) but this 'competition' seems to be degenerating into who can drum up the most friends to vote for them via forums, Facebook, email ...

Edited by MBFace

So - does anybody know broadriding???

No finds, no hides, no pics, no profile....... "caching" for 2 weeks???

NOT implying that it happened in this case (or for earlier winners) but this 'competition' seems to be degenerating into who can drum up the most friends to vote for them via forums, Facebook, email ...

The thought had crossed my mind..... (without the least trace of hypocrisy)

There are at least 3 people mailbombing my facebook inbox every week after votes :P

I'm not 100% sure every photo uploaded relates to the cache it's been linked to either... Humm...

I noticed that with regards to the photos. I had placed a picture, "View from the cache site", surly thats what the photo should be, and not oh "whilst driving back doing the cache took a photo of this"

I'm sure it is down to the conscience of the individual cacher, but I have tried to play the competition fairly. Some of the weekly entries seem to be a little suspect, but it is down to the individual.

I have travelled to selected caches in -

Bradford

Manchester

Skelmersdale

Gloucester (En-Route to Bristol)

I was lucky enough to be one of the weekly winners, with my picture of a Bear. I had to -

Borrow the outfit from work (Lots of questions !!)

Travel to Skelmersdale

Find the cache (Fortunately an easy find)

Convince a friend to dress up

And then take the photos (10 feet from the cache).

So to me it has been worth my efforts, an Oregon 550 and I am still in with a chance of the holiday. Congratulations to the previous weekly winners, and good luck to the future entrants.

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

I'm not 100% sure every photo uploaded relates to the cache it's been linked to either... Humm...

I noticed that with regards to the photos. I had placed a picture, "View from the cache site", surly thats what the photo should be, and not oh "whilst driving back doing the cache took a photo of this"

If you're lucky enough to live near a photogenic cache that's fine.

My closest Garmin cache was 40 miles away(and the pic didn't win).

The second closest was nearer 50 miles - in the middle of a wood - no view, no redeeming sights at all (unless you want to see a piccy of a tree) - and Tarot had already done the teddy bear thing.

Another was passed on the way back from an event - close to 60 miles away - in the middle of a rhododendron bush.

I've been asked to vote for a shot I know full well wasn't taken anywhere near any of the caches in the general area. I can't, in good conscience, vote for it. And because the site says I should see radio buttons when I'm logged in -and I am logged in and I can't see the buttons- I guess I'm voting for no one. I see a past winner has resubmitted the same shot again (nowhere near one of the caches, I happen to know, as I visited the location myself) so who knows if they can win again. This is looking pretty flawed, I must say.