Changing a puzzle cache's puzzle.

Arrow42

I have a puzzle cache (GC1TN73)... my brother came up with the puzzle and at the time I thought it was a good idea. I've been having second thoughts - I'm just not very happy with it. Every person who's "solved" it got stuck and used geochecker to finish solving the puzzle.

I have anouther idea that I think is quite clever... if I don't say so my self :P. At this point I have three options as I see it... 1. archive the cache and re-list it, 2. Change the cache page directly 3. Leave the cache as-is.

I'm just not sure what to do and I would like your (general geocaching public's) opinion on the matter.

- Arrow

I have a puzzle cache (GC1TN73)... my brother came up with the puzzle and at the time I thought it was a good idea. I've been having second thoughts - I'm just not very happy with it. Every person who's "solved" it got stuck and used geochecker to finish solving the puzzle.

I have anouther idea that I think is quite clever... if I don't say so my self :P. At this point I have three options as I see it... 1. archive the cache and re-list it, 2. Change the cache page directly 3. Leave the cache as-is.

I'm just not sure what to do and I would like your (general geocaching public's) opinion on the matter.

- Arrow

How long has the first one been out? Regarding Option #1, you may want to review the Cache Permanence section of the guidelines and decide if that applies here or not. Otherwise, that option sounds best to me. It will attract attention to your new puzzle, where simply changing the puzzle in the old one won't be seen by anyone that has already tried it and doesn't have a watch on it.

On second thought... I just took a look at your cache, and while I'm not a puzzle person, that is a very cool looking puzzle! Maybe move the coord adjustments out of the hint (good idea anyway... shouldn't really encrypt something like that) and provide a hint toward solving the puzzle instead.

Then put out your new puzzle as a new cache somewhere else.

I solved it rather quickly, only took a couple minutes to figure out 3 of the numbers. But it is all right there if you look at it closely.

If you are worried about the coords being slightly off, just adjust the puzzle for that. Like the dog with the glasses said, use the new idea for a different cache.

On second thought... I just took a look at your cache, and while I'm not a puzzle person, that is a very cool looking puzzle!

Thank you.

Maybe move the coord adjustments out of the hint (good idea anyway... shouldn't really encrypt something like that) and provide a hint toward solving the puzzle instead.

Good point. I've changed that.

Then put out your new puzzle as a new cache somewhere else.

Yeah... I'm starting to think that's the best option. Give this one a few months and decide then. I have a container that's nearly ready to be put into the wild - I could just use that I guess.

I solved it rather quickly, only took a couple minutes to figure out 3 of the numbers. But it is all right there if you look at it closely.

If you are worried about the coords being slightly off, just adjust the puzzle for that. Like the dog with the glasses said, use the new idea for a different cache.

I appreciate your assessment. I have included an adjustment that seems to line up a little better with where the cache was... I did get some people who said it was 30 feet off, but seriously it was more like 15. :P

I appreciate your assessment. I have included an adjustment that seems to line up a little better with where the cache was... I did get some people who said it was 30 feet off, but seriously it was more like 15. :P

I can see some people getting 15 feet and others getting 30 feet. It all depends on how accurate their GPSr is at the time. There are times where I'm out in the open and for some reason, mine will give me 20 feet accuracy instead of 10 feet. Other times, I'll pull 10 feet accuracy under light tree cover.

I saw another suggestion in here that might be something to consider. You have an interesting looking puzzle. I agree with Jackie and Bob that you should consider redrawing the puzzle for the correct coordinates. Make sure you then update geochecker for the new coords as well. Experience tells me that even with people solving it, some may not notice the note about correcting the final coordinates. By redrawing the puzzle to be correct, you eliminate that possibility. And, some will be grateful that they then don't have to do some additional math on top of the puzzle (yeah, I know...it's simple math but some don't like the extra step).

Good luck on your next puzzle. I like the challenge of coming up with good puzzles.

I can see some people getting 15 feet and others getting 30 feet. It all depends on how accurate their GPSr is at the time. There are times where I'm out in the open and for some reason, mine will give me 20 feet accuracy instead of 10 feet. Other times, I'll pull 10 feet accuracy under light tree cover.

I saw another suggestion in here that might be something to consider. You have an interesting looking puzzle. I agree with Jackie and Bob that you should consider redrawing the puzzle for the correct coordinates. Make sure you then update geochecker for the new coords as well. Experience tells me that even with people solving it, some may not notice the note about correcting the final coordinates. By redrawing the puzzle to be correct, you eliminate that possibility. And, some will be grateful that they then don't have to do some additional math on top of the puzzle (yeah, I know...it's simple math but some don't like the extra step).

Good luck on your next puzzle. I like the challenge of coming up with good puzzles.

As for the accuracy - who knows, right? :P

As for re-doing the puzzle... well.. I'm just not sure at this point if I want to do that. I took 4 reading last time I was out there and half of them agreed with the previous coords and the other two showed something different, but were very close to each other. I'm still not even sure what coords are right. I think I'll leave it all the same way (with the "you might want to adjust" comment) for now, until I get some more feedback from people in the field.

As for my next puzzle...

Anyone out there wanna beta test it? :) It's not ready yet, but it will be soon.

As for the accuracy - who knows, right? :)

As for re-doing the puzzle... well.. I'm just not sure at this point if I want to do that. I took 4 reading last time I was out there and half of them agreed with the previous coords and the other two showed something different, but were very close to each other. I'm still not even sure what coords are right. I think I'll leave it all the same way (with the "you might want to adjust" comment) for now, until I get some more feedback from people in the field.

As for my next puzzle...

Anyone out there wanna beta test it? :D It's not ready yet, but it will be soon.

I just sent you a private message about this. While I attempted to solve it, I had some thoughts as to what was leading to people using geochecker. I was able to solve your puzzle (and only used geochecker to confirm my answer). It's a lengthy e-mail, but hopefully it helps explain my thoughts, and advice, a bit better. And more secretly so as not to give anything away on here. :P

I'd be happy to take a look at your next puzzle. My e-mail address is in the e-mail I sent you. Just send a reply when you are ready and I'll take a look at it for you.

I just had a thought. When you got your initial coordinates, did you take an average of multiple measurements or did you just walk up and take one measurement? If you only took one, I'd suggest going back and getting some more. Walk up, wait 10 seconds, take a measurement. Walk back out about 30-50 feet, wait 10 seconds, then repeat. I often do this in a circle around the location I've hid the site if possible or at least do this from several different directions. Then I load everything into GSAK and begin punching numbers to average it all.

If my accuracy isn't great when I do this (for instance, being in the woods), I might come back several hours later or the next day and repeat it a second time for even more coords. I think I took almost 50 on one occasion because the location couldn't do better than about 25 feet accuracy. But, it worked out in the end with all those numbers to average.

Just a thought.

I just had a thought. When you got your initial coordinates, did you take an average of multiple measurements or did you just walk up and take one measurement?

Just one, and I realize now that was a big mistake. I'll defiantly be more careful in the future. :) maybe I should have stuck with a traditional as my first cache. :P

I just had a thought. When you got your initial coordinates, did you take an average of multiple measurements or did you just walk up and take one measurement?

Just one, and I realize now that was a big mistake. I'll defiantly be more careful in the future. :) maybe I should have stuck with a traditional as my first cache. :P

I'd say go out and grab another set. Couldn't hurt and if you decide to update the puzzle, best to start with more accurate coords.

Don't worry, I made the same mistake on an early cache of mine and when I went back out to set everything up, I realized I had one of the coords about 20 feet off. It's part of the learning process.

- Arrow

I really liked the puzzle, and did not use geo checker to solve it (those little lines actually have a specific meaning and pattern - just not obvious). I think it is a good puzzle. I have not been up there yet to get it (my actual caching has slowed a LOT in the last couple of months - school is taking over).

I would like to see the next one - let us know when it is ready to be tamed!

I really liked the puzzle, and did not use geo checker to solve it (those little lines actually have a specific meaning and pattern - just not obvious). I think it is a good puzzle. I have not been up there yet to get it (my actual caching has slowed a LOT in the last couple of months - school is taking over).

I would like to see the next one - let us know when it is ready to be tamed!

Well, the puzzle for my next one is nearly ready. I finished the prototype and the cache page has been started. I just need to get some feed back from my beta testers. :D

Anyone else not in the CA-area want to help beta test?