Unexpected find while hiding

Redema

I had earmarked a hiding place last week for a new cache, so off we went last night to hide it. We found a great spot and started to remove the dead leaves only to find a rolled up red rucsack.

I was given the job of looking inside - so I undid the zip carefully expecting to find a drug stash or something illegal. Inside were 2 pairs of knickers, a bra, 2 headscarves and 2 empty bread bags, very strange!

Needless to say I chose a different hiding place for my cache.

Has anyone else found something hidden while hiding a new cache?

I had earmarked a hiding place last week for a new cache, so off we went last night to hide it. We found a great spot and started to remove the dead leaves only to find a rolled up red rucsack.

I was given the job of looking inside - so I undid the zip carefully expecting to find a drug stash or something illegal. Inside were 2 pairs of knickers, a bra, 2 headscarves and 2 empty bread bags, very strange!

Not to be an alarmist, but I would definitely report this to the local police. This kind of discovery often helps missing-persons cases.

Has anyone else found something hidden while hiding a new cache?

Found a homeless guy, and I totally wasn't expecting it. Practically jumped out of my skin. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...03-148d61c08d93

At one point, I was scouting a place to hide a cache in one of my favorite, little known, local forest preserves. Found a decent spot, in a hollow tree - not too bushwacky. Went to put the cache in, and found another cache! Pulled it out, pristine log. Hmm - I had checked before I left, I knew there were no published caches nearby. I signed the log, put it back and hiked away the requisite distance to hide my own. I figured it was bad timing - and they would both show up on GC. Never hear from the other one again. Checked on it some months later when checking on my own, - and it was gone.

Still wondering...

Not too long ago I found a stash which I thought was a cache I was looking for. It was a baggy in a good spot. As I was pulling it out I noticed there were 2 syringes in it. I quickly dropped it and got out of there, kinda freaked me out. Emailed the owner of the nearby cache and hadn't heard back.

One from the U.K. (Sept 06) on the cache "Men of the Sea", near Bristol.

A stash found near a cache.

MrsB

Great tale... loved it. I've had one recently investigated by the sheriff's bomb squad and I'm still waiting for that knock on the door from the FBI or Homeland Security... but who the heck would want to blow up a lousy sign? Hopefully they have caches near GITMO that I can look for.

MrsB

Great tale... loved it. I've had one recently investigated by the sheriff's bomb squad and I'm still waiting for that knock on the door from the FBI or Homeland Security... but who the heck would want to blow up a lousy sign? Hopefully they have caches near GITMO that I can look for.

Wow that is an incredible story....I seen a post recently to watch for meth labs in the woods.

Not to be an alarmist, but I would definitely report this to the local police. This kind of discovery often helps missing-persons cases.

+1

+1

What does that mean? I've been seeing it with increasing regularity recently. I assume that it's a texting version of "I agree" or "OK"?

In craigslist you can award rating points. The scale goes as follows

+5 Love

+4 Sublime

+3 Terrific

+2 Good

+1 Nice

+0 ummmm

-1 Dumb

-2 Tiresome

-3 Lousy

-4 Rotten

-5 Vile

+1

What does that mean? I've been seeing it with increasing regularity recently. I assume that it's a texting version of "I agree" or "OK"?

+5 Love

+4 Sublime

+3 Terrific

+2 Good

+1 Nice

+0 ummmm

-1 Dumb

-2 Tiresome

-3 Lousy

-4 Rotten

-5 Vile

Don't know about Craigs List. I've always seen it as KnowsChad suggests, "I agree or OK".

+1

+5 Love

+4 Sublime

+3 Terrific

+2 Good

+1 Nice

+0 ummmm

-1 Dumb

-2 Tiresome

-3 Lousy

-4 Rotten

-5 Vile

Don't know about Craigs List. I've always seen it as KnowsChad suggests, "I agree or OK".

You can see it however you want. I just know CL has a ratings system and it seems to have overflowed to many other forums.

It would take the same number of keystrokes to type OK as it would to type +1 so its certainly not a time saver. Perhaps it means the same as a thumbs up or the ever pathetic ^5 (high five).

+1

So, Bigshot's reply to "but I would definitely report this to the local police" was, "Nice!"??? :P

MrsB

Wow that is an incredible story....I seen a post recently to watch for meth labs in the woods.

We get more concerned about the pot growers, but any of them can be a bad mistake to walk upon.

Several of us out this way noticed a pile of fertilizer bags stashed nice and neat under cover off an old logging road, looked like a recent hide...

I found bones wrapped in clothing, about 4 sets near a cache, contacted county and state police, took a month to hear from the county who said nothing was odd, only animal bones, the state never responded. I drove past the area later and there was police crime scene tape up (I was told for a week) and still haven't heard anything. That one freaked me out (and by my name, this stuff usually doesn't phase me).

(Edit spelling

Edited by Unkle Fester

MrsB

And some people on another thread don't see why "packing heat" might not be such a bad idea while caching.

:P

Here in UK that would usually mean taking your gloves, scarf and a Thermos of hot drink :P

and I wondered about the +1 thing too...

I assumed it meant "I agree" or "me too".

MrsB

In Central Park in New York, we came across a hobo's stash. We had to crawl through a large bush to get to the cache and within 5 feet were someone's belongings. In the library I work at, I deal with the homeless quite a bit and can empathize with them, so I didn't touch their stuff or call the police. In Minneapolis, we've stumbled across several hobo camps caching along the river. My blood always gets pumping, wondering if anyone's home!

Many forums software programs have something they call 'karma/smites' where you can give someone karma (a +1) usually you post you are giving them a karma hit, and then you click on the karma link. a smite (-1) is for posts that you hated, don't agree with or whatever. So your good posters have good karma to smite ratio, while the trolls are exactly the opposite.

Probably should have called it in but it seemed silly at the time (still seems a bit silly really). While doing a cache in a greenway park near my home I found a pair of gardening shears (clippers) and wood saw placed in a hollow tree (about 50 feet from the cache). The interesting thing was the tools were still in this tree as if they had been placed there very recently but the area had been under water just 24-48 hours before due to heavy rains and flooding of the creek just 10 feet from this downed tree.

7b2c90bb-8d89-4ede-9d26-a9e7fd514028.jpg

This spot was adjacent to some private property and not too far (across the creek) from a residential development so while it was odd it was also creepy.

Good news: The cache was secured to a tree right where it was supposed to be. Dry as a bone inside - gotta love ammo cans.

I was placing a cache in Las vegas GC1KG8T. As I was lifting up the lampskirt (hint to anyone living or going to Vegas to vacation if they want a easy P&G) a tightly wraped bandana fell out. I knew something was in it so I untied it and a 1/2 to a full pound of weed fell out. I found it by the Clark county court house. When the drugy goes back to retrieve it, he is going to find a geocache. How funny is that?!!!! I just kicked the weed to the wind and it completly scattered.

I was placing a cache in Las vegas GC1KG8T. As I was lifting up the lampskirt (hint to anyone living or going to Vegas to vacation if they want a easy P&G) a tightly wraped bandana fell out. I knew something was in it so I untied it and a 1/2 to a full pound of weed fell out. I found it by the Clark county court house. When the drugy goes back to retrieve it, he is going to find a geocache. How funny is that?!!!! I just kicked the weed to the wind and it completly scattered.

I'm sure he/she'll thank you for introducing them to a healthier hobby. :)

MrsB

I'm sure he/she'll thank you for introducing them to a healthier hobby. :)

MrsB

Lets hope he doesn't meet the cache owner at an upcoming geocaching event!

Not while hiding, but on two caches I was looking for I found a dead dog at each. One was an Irish Setter, the other a German Shepard. Very sad, and both were well into decomposition. One was at a freeway rest stop, but the other was quite a ways out into the high desert. No collars on either.

I'm sure he/she'll thank you for introducing them to a healthier hobby. :anitongue:

MrsB

Just as long as kingocal wasn't the last person to sign the log book :laughing:

Edited by FoxMulders

I'm sure he/she'll thank you for introducing them to a healthier hobby. :anitongue:

MrsB

Just as long as kingocal wasn't the last person to sign the log book :laughing:

Yes we have found homeless camps also. One of them was complete with 2 huge hunting knives in scabbards or what ever you call them, a propane bottle heater and a bed roll.

Yes we have found homeless camps also. One of them was complete with 2 huge hunting knives in scabbards or what ever you call them, a propane bottle heater and a bed roll.

I suspect that there is a difference between the homeless and hobos, but just check out the gallery for this cache! Eau Claire Hobo Camps GC1H7AZ There are at least two very elaborate seasonal camps down by the river. It was an awesome cache!

At one point, I was scouting a place to hide a cache in one of my favorite, little known, local forest preserves. Found a decent spot, in a hollow tree - not too bushwacky. Went to put the cache in, and found another cache! Pulled it out, pristine log. Hmm - I had checked before I left, I knew there were no published caches nearby. I signed the log, put it back and hiked away the requisite distance to hide my own. I figured it was bad timing - and they would both show up on GC. Never hear from the other one again. Checked on it some months later when checking on my own, - and it was gone.

Still wondering...

All the more reason why I beleive one should always put their GC1 cache code somewhere IN and ON their cache! That way it can be traced back to the owner.

The city that I live in, is considering making it a city ordinance that requires such information be on it so that the police can track it back to the owner. At least for geocaches placed on PUBLIC land.

TGC

MrsB

And some people on another thread don't see why "packing heat" might not be such a bad idea while caching.

Easy to do in Texas as a good percentage of Texans have a "Concealed weapons" permit. However, This cacher that found that stash was in the "British Isles" and if memory serves me correctly. They aren't allowed to carry concealed weapons, or even own certain weapons as well. Not like in the USA :anitongue:

TGC

+1

I also frequent Reef central com. When people ask for advice about keeping saltwater reef systems they can get a wide range of answers. And the +1 is used to mean you agree with the advice given by another poster. some answer can be very long so it's a lot easier to use the +1. So if you get three different recommendations but one of them gets 6 +1 that's probably the way to go. sometimes You'll also see them increment so that the first agreement is +1 the 2nd agreement is +2 etc.

MrsB

........ However, This cacher that found that stash was in the "British Isles" and if memory serves me correctly. They aren't allowed to carry concealed weapons, or even own certain weapons as well. Not like in the USA :anitongue:

TGC

Along with Australia and many many other countries.

I just had to disable, and will probably archive, a cache of mine. But how can you tell in the wintertime that you've just placed a cache in a field of marijuana plants?

Ironically, this was discovered by cacher GeoJunkie. While he reported it to the authorities, I scurried out to retrieve the cache - it was a unique cache container, I didn't want to lose it. :anitongue: And I do mean scurried!

I just had to disable, and will probably archive, a cache of mine. But how can you tell in the wintertime that you've just placed a cache in a field of marijuana plants?

Ironically, this was discovered by cacher GeoJunkie. While he reported it to the authorities, I scurried out to retrieve the cache - it was a unique cache container, I didn't want to lose it. :) And I do mean scurried!

Not really anyway to tell in a Nebraska winter. I have been to Nebraska a few times. Found the plants growing WILD on the side of the road & at rest stops as well.

A "Pot Plantation" is fairly easy to know if you see one. Even without the "Weed". The field will almost always be in a very remote location. Which will require hiking of some sort. Will not be visable from any nearby road. The ground area will look as though it has been cultivated at some point in recent history. That is if it is a field that had been recently used. (last growing season). There won't be alot of other vegitation in this field that will appear to be very old. First year grasses, weeds, etc...

My rule of thumb. If it looks like a peice of land that has been cultivated and is NOT easily accessable by NORMAL farm equipment. Then I would would say it just might be a "Pot Plantation".

TGC