ebay pirate selling stolen cache loot

I spotted this at ebay. I think it deserves a responce from the geocaching community.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Geocaching-Travel-Bug-...%3A3%7C294%3A50

Geocaching Travel Bug - Pirate Loot 16 x Central FL

The Pirates have been busy in Central Florida. Here we have 16 Travel Bug halves. They have not been tracked since their last known location. Hold them for ransom if you want. I remind you that nothing illegal has been done here and I am merely selling them for someone. Things left in public places or while tresspassing is fair game. There are a couple of coins and things here. All the stupid Dollar Store junk has been removed.

What a funny listing.

I emailed the seller and said that what he was doing was rude and that the stolen property was of no value except to those that paid for the TBs and activated them.

I got this in responce:

These items were all found in one ammo box labeled Travel Bug Hotel. It was located on PRIVATE property that for months the cops were being sent out because people were snooping around in the middle of the night by Jerks like you. Scaring his Wife and Kids and causing him much distress in the middle of the night. Plants, fences, and sod were also being damaged by people who couldn't seem find it digging around. As well as alot of trash. The box was found by Metal Detector and replaced with a sign that said "Get off my f-in property... NOW". Who cares who paid for them. They were used in a very poor fashion. If they leave it it is no longer theirs. And the rules you seem to abide by break those of others. Who is rude and breaking the laws here? Stick to public parks and even then be respectful of the property. Just look up Bomb Scares and Geocache to see how some Geocahers are just plain disrespectful of the general public. Most of you walk around like your stoned in the woods and may be. And further disrepect is trying to keep the game inclusive calling us normal folk muggles. This listing was a 15 cent joke and already they are worth 1. I'm 14 cents out so far. And you... out of touch with the muggles.

I hope you play with more respect than 75% of these so called Earth loving people exploring and finding Dollar Store junk. Cache In Cache Out? More like Trash In Cache Out.

Happing Bidding.

- shuflar

I replied that if the cache was placed on private property without permission all it would have taken was ONE person to report it and it would have been taken down. Instead, they steal the contents and place it up for auction and insult us.

Two options.

1) Report to Ebay that they are selling stolen property. Then they will pull the listing and the travel bugs will be gone forever. The jerk who is trying to sell them will suffer no consequences.

2) Win the auction and leave feedback that he is selling stolen goods and that account with a 36 feedback it TOAST! Then put the trave bugs back into circulation for the owners...or contact the owners so they can reset them because the jerk has obviously stolen the bugs attachments.

I would go for the second option but I won't get into a bidding war with those who think they are getting travel bugs for a bargain.

You could also narrow down the story he is telling by investigating how many travel bug hotels are in or near Sorrento, Florida. If the owners all checked on their caches, they could find out if it was, indeed, on private property or if this guy is just blowing smoke.

I would bet that he is going to start looting caches soon if he doesn't get called on his illegal auction.

His argument of "its on public/private property" doesn't hold water because otherwise it would be legal to grab cars because they are on public property.

Edited by bittsen

Two options.

1) Report to Ebay that they are selling stolen property. Then they will pull the listing and the travel bugs will be gone forever. The jerk who is trying to sell them will suffer no consequences.

2) Win the auction and leave feedback that he is selling stolen goods and that account with a 36 feedback it TOAST! Then put the trave bugs back into circulation for the owners...or contact the owners so they can reset them because the jerk has obviously stolen the bugs attachments.

3) Win the auction with a bogus new account and leave him instant bad feedback - repeat when it is resisted.

I can't see eBay removing it for being stolen property since stealing rubbish left in public place is not considered steeling.

Sorry, but if the cache was placed on private property then I SUPPORT the seller!

Placing caches on private property without permission is a serious problem in our geocaching community. We really need to police ourselves better.

Contrary to what you say:

"I replied that if the cache was placed on private property without permission all it would have taken was ONE person to report it and it would have been taken down. Instead, they steal the contents and place it up for auction and insult us."

I have found that many cache owners do not always respond quickly when you question whether or not the cache is on private property. Some cache owners don't care and do nothing. Sometimes people lose interest in caching about 2 weeks after getting into caching and after they've placed a cache or two on private property.

I'm willing to bid on these and get them back into circulation, if no one else is? Let me know.

And leave a bad feedback later on.

Whoever wins this, if they will be rescuing them to put back in the game, I will donate $5 to the cost via paypal. This assumes the person will be leaving neg feedback.

I'm willing to bid on these and get them back into circulation, if no one else is? Let me know.

Whoever wins this, if they will be rescuing them to put back in the game, I will donate $5 to the cost via paypal. This assumes the person will be leaving neg feedback.

Current bid is $5.50. I'll check again in the morning, if no one has bid higher then, I will.

That's really sad, especially that the seller is being so cavalier about it. Just make sure no one here bids against each other if someone does want to recirculate them...

Yeah, it's just another garden variety jerk who thinks he's great. I hope Karma takes a bite out of his butt, proverbially speaking.

This guy apparently knows about the hobby. I bet he is a cacher. The name shuflar does come up on this site.

As a new account with no geocaches or other activity to his name.

I would bet they are one in the same.

So, the guy knows what geocaching is and what its about and he is obviously capable of looking for caches.

I'm sure his story is bogus now. He's likely a cache raider/thief.

This guy apparently knows about the hobby. I bet he is a cacher. The name shuflar does come up on this site.

As a new account with no geocaches or other activity to his name.

I would bet they are one in the same.

So, the guy knows what geocaching is and what its about and he is obviously capable of looking for caches.

I'm sure his story is bogus now. He's likely a cache raider/thief.

Which would mean that we're just encouraging him to raid more, if he can make money off it. :o

I have to say this:

Do not leave neg. feedback if you win the auction. Tempting as it may be, so long as he delivers the goods in proper fashion, as his auction depicts, then he is doing good by ebay standards, which that's all that ebay cares about. Leaving neg feedback because you don't like what he did, is bad form and make US look bad.

Like others, to an extent I support him removing, even destroying the cache if it was on his private property. It really sucks for the TB owners though, losing their bugs because of the cache owner placing the cache on private property.

I have to say this:

Do not leave neg. feedback if you win the auction. Tempting as it may be, so long as he delivers the goods in proper fashion, as his auction depicts, then he is doing good by ebay standards, which that's all that ebay cares about. Leaving neg feedback because you don't like what he did, is bad form and make US look bad.

Like others, to an extent I support him removing, even destroying the cache if it was on his private property. It really sucks for the TB owners though, losing their bugs because of the cache owner placing the cache on private property.

I disagree (naturally).

I say the winner of the Ebay auction should take the travel bugs and track them to the owners and then ask the owners if this jacko has permission to sell their travel bugs. If they say no then the negative feedback is earned.

I find it "interesting" that the guy used the excuse that they were found on private property but not HIS property nor did he say it was his friends property.

Furthermore, what was he doing on private property using a metal detector? That is what he claims he used to find the ammo can.

As I said (implied), I bet he is searching out free ammo cans.

Dispite being a jerk about it, I also (well kinda) support what he's are doing. If the cache is on private land then it should be removed. He could have just thrown it all in the garbage, so at least this stuff is staying in circulation. It's a shame he had to make it personal though. I would send him an email or something, but I feel this is a damage done situation and he would be just as happy to never hear from any of us ever again.

The one thing if find unforgivable about this is THAT PEOPLE ARE BIDDING AGAINST EACH OTHER FOR THESE. Someone could have grabbed these things for a few cents, paid the shipping, and everyone would be happy. Now there's a guy out there who's pissed off at us and now might think he can make money at our expense. Way to think it through. (Not that i think it's forum people bidding mind you).

Dispite being a jerk about it, I also (well kinda) support what he's are doing. If the cache is on private land then it should be removed.

If that's the case, then the police would have already been in touch with GC.com and the cache removed (or at least delisted). Unless Florida police are unaware of the several thousand geocaches within a few miles of their headquarters?

The whole story looks bogus to me, and I can't see how selling stolen goods is within Ebay's rules.

("Positive feedback : items delivered quickly, and even though it seemed at first that they are all stolen, it was a good price and the guy has a convincing story about how things left lying around are fair game. Seems a nice guy and will keep a lookout for more of his acquisitions.")

I won't bid on this since I have no desire to give a person like this money, but I like the idea of donating to Sioneva (or whoever takes on the task of winning the auction) to recoup the costs. I'd be down for that.

Bruce

If you buy this, not only should you report it as stolen property to ebay after you receive it and contact the owners, but you should also try to get your paypal transaction reversed by reporting that the items were stolen, and that you returned them to the owners.

There is realy 2 seperate issues here.

Issue one: placing caches on privat property without permission. Bad Cacher...Bad

Issue two: Stealing peoples personal property (ammo box, travil bugs, geocoins (not rubbish)), and selling on e-bay. Bad e-bayer...Bad

issue 1 in trespassing, not a crime, but a civil issue

Issue 2 is theft, and is a crime.

As for the garbage the ebayer talked of, there is a lot of garbage floating around. I am always finding some in my yard (no cacher there). The garbage is likely not related to the cache in question. If it is, shame on all the cachers that left it.

Edited by Andronicus

I am surprised this is not happening more often. I can't see eBay being able to do anything. He is simply selling rubbish that has been left in a public place.

eBay has, can and will do something about this if notified: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...hl=ebay++stolen

As for those that say this jerk individual is justified because he claims to have found the cache on private property... first, that is only his claim. Second, even if it is true, the owners of the TBs did not put their bugs in the cache and do not deserve to be penalized by said jerk individual.

We'd all been a lot better off if you'd stop giving the guy attention. He is right in that the attention is driving up the price.. so stop it.

BTW, I don't think what he's doing is right. But I do see a very small element of humor in it. He's trying to spite the geocaching community and you all are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

I have found that many cache owners do not always respond quickly when you question whether or not the cache is on private property. Some cache owners don't care and do nothing. Sometimes people lose interest in caching about 2 weeks after getting into caching and after they've placed a cache or two on private property.

I was at a cache recently and had a home owner come out and question me at the cache location. He told me the thing was on his property and his wife was scared of people sneaking around their home. I moved the cache off the property and notified the cache owner. What does the CO do? Moved it back!

I like what the Ebay seller said here: "And where are the Pigeons? Geocaching charges you $7 for some dog tags with random codes. If they were trying to do this for the fun of all they could offer the codes free and you could use your Sharpie... who is playing who here. Eye for Eye, threat for threat. Be careful. I will also remind you that the Geocaching service itself is very fragile. You do not want to awake the wrong Dragon here and ruin it for all. A decent website with a member every 100 square miles could mean a dead end for all cache hunts. Then what do you think would happen to the profit of the site? This is very possible. Who would play if 3 out of 4 caches were missing. "

He is so right in when he mentioned an organized pirate site that could wipe out the game. Perhaps that is why GS sells TB's at such a high price - get it while you can ???!??!?

I would not provoke this person. I almost think it would be fun to join the pirate side, so it really could happen. The whole model of GS making money off this game just cries for it to happen some day. This should have been left as a community game from day one - not a corporation. That just has a stink to it.

Edited by Frank Broughton

I was at a cache recently and had a home owner come out and question me at the cache location. He told me the thing was on his property and his wife was scared of people sneaking around there home. I moved the cache off the property and notified the cache owner. What does the CO do? Moved it back!

I like what the Ebay seller said here: "And where are the Pigeons? Geocaching charges you $7 for some dog tags with random codes. If they were trying to do this for the fun of all they could offer the codes free and you could use your Sharpie... who is playing who here. Eye for Eye, threat for threat. Be careful. I will also remind you that the Geocaching service itself is very fragile. You do not want to awake the wrong Dragon here and ruin it for all. A decent website with a member every 100 square miles could mean a dead end for all cache hunts. Then what do you think would happen to the profit of the site? This is very possible. Who would play if 3 out of 4 caches were missing. "

He is so right in when he mentioned an organized pirate site that could wipe out the game. Perhaps that is why GS sells TB's at such a high price - get it while you can ???!??!?

I would not provoke this person. I almost think it would be fun to join the pirate side, so it really could happen. The whole model of GS making money off this game just cries for it to happen some day. This should have been left as a community game from day one - not a corporation. That just has a stink to it.

I'm not sure that ground speak is rolling in the cash. The servers they run have to be rather high priced. The application development is rather extensive. ETC. Are they a publicly traided company that we can view the anual report? I would guess that they are making a profit, but don't think that they are ripping us all off.

This should have been left as a community game from day one - not a corporation.

It still can be that, Frank. Go hide a cache and post the coordinates in Google Groups or some Yahoo group or a Facebook page. You have every right to do that. Or you could use Terracaching or Navicaching (although you'll still be dealing with organizations)

I'm not sure that ground speak is rolling in the cash. The servers they run have to be rather high priced. The application development is rather extensive. ETC. Are they a publicly traided company that we can view the anual report? I would guess that they are making a profit, but don't think that they are ripping us all off.

I am not against them making money, it is the model I do not like - it never should have happened. It is here now, I support it and enjoy it. Wish the updates each month did not cause a week of disruption (beta test team?) but other than that I am happy. I have been told TBTP are great people and I do not doubt that. I was just repeating the fragility of the company model. I reread my post, I did take some uncalled for cheap shots. I apologize for that.

This should have been left as a community game from day one - not a corporation.

It still can be that, Frank. Go hide a cache and post the coordinates in Google Groups or some Yahoo group or a Facebook page. You have every right to do that. Or you could use Terracaching or Navicaching (although you'll still be dealing with organizations)

I agree, The issue is that without a corperation or at least some kind of organization you wouldnt have the services we have now. you wouldnt have the capibility to keep up with the current demand of the monitary or time needs for keeping up such a large site.

True, one could do that. I plan to on some of my future hides in a local NYS MUA. Here in the Buffalo area there is talk of the other sites being used as in Germany and Ohio.

Dan, I like geocaching.com, just reading the history of the beginning has tainted me.

I agree, The issue is that without a corperation or at least some kind of organization you wouldnt have the services we have now. you wouldnt have the capibility to keep up with the current demand of the monitary or time needs for keeping up such a large site.

That I do not agree with, there are big community projects that thrive as open source projects. The needs of keeping up can be debated. My daily PQ's did not come today.

I see many people here supporting the seller of these TB's.

But there is one big issue: Both the owners of the TB's and the people that placed them in the cache have done NOTHING wrong. It's only the cacher that hid the box on private property without permission who made a mistake.

And I believe he is the one to be blamed (and perhaps punished)

there are many problems with the sellers description, as he also states all the people looking for the cache are the problem. I repeat myself: it's only the hiders fault!

Sorry, but if the cache was placed on private property then I SUPPORT the seller!

Placing caches on private property without permission is a serious problem in our geocaching community. We really need to police ourselves better.

Contrary to what you say:

"I replied that if the cache was placed on private property without permission all it would have taken was ONE person to report it and it would have been taken down. Instead, they steal the contents and place it up for auction and insult us."

Two of my favorite TB Hotels in Oregon are on the grounds of private lodging places. The cache pages make it perfectly clear that they are placed with permission.

One of my TB's which was taken from the one near PDX was actually sold on Ebay by the state of Oregon as part of a lot of stuff taken from passengers at the airport.

Why hasn't the CO complained about his STOLEN cache? I also noticed that only the tags/coins are up for sale. What happened to whatever was attached to the TB tags?

I won't put TB's in any cache on private land unless I know the cache is placed with permission. I believe the reviewers do a good job questioning cache hiders about permission on private land caches.

I was at a cache recently and had a home owner come out and question me at the cache location. He told me the thing was on his property and his wife was scared of people sneaking around their home. I moved the cache off the property and notified the cache owner. What does the CO do? Moved it back!

Stealing caches to spite the company Groundspeak is like blowing up mail boxes because your mad at the governement. Mostly it just hurts the people who probably have the least amount of impact.

As for geocaching being fragile, I would disagree. There are many sites that list geocaches, and even more sites for local groups, personal pages and blogs, and so on. If Groundspeak went belly up tommorrow that would be a hard blow, but not the end of geocaching the sport.

2) Win the auction and leave feedback that he is selling stolen goods and that account with a 36 feedback it TOAST!

Unfortunately, his/her eBay account will likely feel no damage from this transaction. The negative feedback (if received) will "drop off" after 12 months, and the seller will be right back at 100% rating. This person has only sold 13 items since August 17, 2004 - with one negative feedback (as a seller) in September of that same year. With this low activity level, it looks like they will have no problem waiting the 12 months to reclaim "perfection". A detailed description with the negative feedback might deter the next "tether car" buyer, but it is very doubtful (especially in a ~100 character feedback posting). As a buyer, it will simply not matter at all.

This kind of thing really irks me, as the TB owners are the real losers here. The best thing that can happen now is for the winner to "catch and release", so that this mess can be forgotten. I do hope that the winner of the auction (if from the forums) will post the details of the bugs and where they are released - it would make for a nice ending...

For what its worth, a quick web search for "shuflar" will give you what is likely the real name and even a Twitter and a Facebook page.

I'd sure like to know more about the cache that he claims was on private property, and if it was, on who's private property. He doesn't say that it was on his, does he?

Just for the record - I haven't bid on this. I decided to wait until close to the last minute, to avoid getting caught in a bidding war and giving this guy even more money and stroking his ego. Now I see it is up to $10.50. I don't know who is bidding, but I'm still waiting. And now the bid's getting high enough to re-affirm to this guy that this is a good idea, and he might try this again.

...I believe the reviewers do a good job questioning cache hiders about permission on private land caches.

Actually unless they know differently or the cache's permission is brought to their attention they don't usually question it... by checking the little boxes at the bottom of the cache submission page cachers attest that their cache has adequate permission, and without any red flags being raised the Reviewers generally take the cacher's word for it. The whole permission issue is based on trust.

Exactly why the SBA log should be used; let the Reviewer and CO work it out.

I spotted this at ebay. I think it deserves a responce from the geocaching community.

Geocaching Travel Bug - Pirate Loot 16 x Central FL

The Pirates have been busy in Central Florida. Here we have 16 Travel Bug halves. They have not been tracked since their last known location. Hold them for ransom if you want. I remind you that nothing illegal has been done here and I am merely selling them for someone. Things left in public places or while tresspassing is fair game. There are a couple of coins and things here. All the stupid Dollar Store junk has been removed....

Theft of personal property is a crime. Simple as that. They are rationalizing to think otherwise. At best they get a free pass because of the low cost of the stolen property. However they also kick it up a notch by reselling known stolen goods.

I'd bid and turn them over to the police. Once it crosses state lines it's federal. Once it's sent in the mail, it's mail fraud.

I'd contribute to a fund to pay a lawywer to force the issue. Community service picking up the trash they are complaining about would be beautiful.

That I do not agree with, there are big community projects that thrive as open source projects. The needs of keeping up can be debated. My daily PQ's did not come today.

You need both. The site, and the organization. Without a site the organization gets nowhere. Without an organization the site is stale, lifeless and stagnant. Without both you won't be able to gain any ground with cachers.

Now if you want an opensource Geocaching API to plug itno the organizations site, great. That's perfect for open source.

Once someone has these travel bugs in their posession, it won't be very difficult to track them and see if they were all in the same travel bug hotel and to see exactly what "private property" the cache was on.

Adding...

THis guy, posting all of the Emails he receives into his posting, he obviously has a grudge and is trying to make an example.

His threat to have his pirate friends clear out 3 out of 4 caches is possibly criminal as well.

The guy is a jerk!

Adding...

It's also not hard to get this guys full name (and a picture) if you know how to do it. He's not anonymous at all. I hope that if anyone were to garner that information, they would use it only for legal reasons.

Edited by bittsen

Just for the record - I haven't bid on this. I decided to wait until close to the last minute, to avoid getting caught in a bidding war and giving this guy even more money and stroking his ego. Now I see it is up to $10.50. I don't know who is bidding, but I'm still waiting. And now the bid's getting high enough to re-affirm to this guy that this is a good idea, and he might try this again.

I don't know who's upping the bids either, but I bet his name rhymes with "muffler".

I see two things here....

(1) A really offensive person putting up a auction of TBs and GC coins in a way that a passionate and technologically savvy group will react to.

(2) A community of people who are very passionate about thier hobby, is reacting to the listing in a very predictable way.

Geocaching is like any other hobby. It will have people who are VERY passionate about it. They will go to great lengths to promote, protect, and participate in their chosen hobby. There will be others that will participate for a while, then move on when they no longer have interest in it. I have seen the passion that many people will exhibit in many hobbies. This groups reaction to the listing is of no surprise to me.

Can the TBs (or the cache) in the listing be classified as stolen property as defined by the courts? LEGALLY speaking, is there a precedent that will support this claim? Someone made the example of parking a car in a public place, this is a apples to oranges comparison. A motor vehicle is a TITLED and registered piece of private property. The title of the car is what enables you as the legal owner to retain possession even when it is properly, (and improperly) parked in a public place and you walk away from it. Geocaches and their contents, because there is no legally recognized owner, are the property of whoever is in physical possession at the time, be it the owner of the land that the cache sits on, or the times when a person comes along and picks it up. Because this hobby is so new, I doubt there is a legal precedence to support the ownership claim by the CO or the originators of the TBs in question. A very strong argument can be made that it is legally abandoned property, because it sits where the placer of the property does not legally own the land.

Bottom line:

Is it a 'bay listing made to anger the community it targeted? Yes

Is it succeeding in its goal? Yes

Should the 'bay pull the listing? Only because it is inflammatory and derogatory to the group of people that it is aimed at.

Does anyone know what cache it was or who the CO is? I think it might be GCxxxx.

By the way, 16 Travel bugs in one cache?!? I've never seen such a thing.

Edit: Removed GC# of a cache I THOUGHT, MIGHT be it. Cache owner thinks people check the forums for the status of a cache.

Edited by JohnE5

Does anyone know what cache it was or who the CO is? I think it might be GC1A7X4.

By the way, 16 Travel bugs in one cache?!? I've never seen such a thing.

No, we don't know that yet. What makes you suspect GC1A7X4?

16 TBs in a TB Hotel is not unusual, (although actually this is what is considered by some to be a TB Prison because of the swapping stipulation:)

P.S...If you take a Travel Bug or Geocoin, please also leave a Travel Bug or Geocoin in it's place. Hence the term "swapping!"