Hike to the Oldest Cache in WA this Saturday 6/27

GrnXnham

We've decided to hike up to GCD, the oldest active cache in WA called "Geocache" this Saturday. We've been wanting to do this one for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it until now.

We are planning to take the longer but much easier route and follow the Mt. Margaret Trail to the cache. The trail comes to within two or three hundred feet of GCD.

I know a lot of people take a shorter but more difficult route by bushwhacking straight up the mountain through the scratchy bushes and, in the process, tear half the meat off your legs if you are wearing shorts! We've decided to take the more leisurely stroll and stick to the trails.

We will meet at GC1GMZN "Mt. Margaret Trail Head" cache at 10AM. Looks like about a 2.5 mile hike one way with 1600 feet of elevation gain. Depending on weather/time/snow we might continue on another mile to the "Mount Margaret" cache GC1GF1N.

If anyone else wants to hike to this "ancient" cache let us know and we'll see you at the trail head.

Looks like about a dozen people and at least three dogs will be on this hike.

Logan_six just asked about a NW Forest Pass. It appears that the NW Forest Pass IS required for this trail head.

Looks like bug spray is also a requirement.

See everyone tomorrow at 10AM.

Edited by GrnXnham

Hello All,

I see from the logs and photos that you made it, congrats!

Until yesterday evening, I didn't know about GCD. What I've learned in that short time has me so intrigued that I'm gearing up for an attempt on it. I'm thinking Thursday, July 2, 10AM, starting from View Cache

From what I can gather, this is the "other" way to get to GCD, by way of Wonktania.

I'm not certain, but it appears that this route is less of a climb than the Mt. Margaret trail route.

Anyone who didn't make the June 27 climb, please post here if you're interested. BTW, anyone know if a NW Forest Pass would be required for anyone parking in the area (including near View Cache)?

EDIT: Changed date to July 2. (Thursday is July 2 not 1)

Cheers-

TFC

Edited by tfc0869

Hello All,

I see from the logs and photos that you made it, congrats!

Until yesterday evening, I didn't know about GCD. What I've learned in that short time has me so intrigued that I'm gearing up for an attempt on it. I'm thinking Thursday, July 2, 10AM, starting from View Cache

From what I can gather, this is the "other" way to get to GCD, by way of Wonktania.

I'm not certain, but it appears that this route is less of a climb than the Mt. Margaret trail route.

Anyone who didn't make the June 27 climb, please post here if you're interested. BTW, anyone know if a NW Forest Pass would be required for anyone parking in the area (including near View Cache)?

EDIT: Changed date to July 2. (Thursday is July 2 not 1)

Cheers-

TFC

Study your TOPO maps; if you have a decent 4WD you can park less than 300' from Wonktania.

3 years ago when I did it the road was no problem but last fall it was a bit sketchy but it had just snowed and the road was a muddy, should be a bit easier w/o the mud.

Thanks, hydnsek & LandRover.

Hoppingcrow graciously shared with me some more detail of her "View Cache" climb, and although there are roads, the spaces between them are full of thick brush and uneven ground. So that route seems best classified as an "extended cross-country bushwhack."

A 4WD will take you to within 300' of Wonktania? That never would have occurred to me. Aren't there barriers and such to block such attempts?

(I've got a bad cold so my GCD trek is on hold for a while.)

Cheers-

TFC

Hoppingcrow graciously shared with me some more detail of her "View Cache" climb, and although there are roads, the spaces between them are full of thick brush and uneven ground. So that route seems best classified as an "extended cross-country bushwhack."

Yes, it's a bushwhack most of the way from View Cache to both Wonkatonia and Geocache. Scrub is about thigh high, if I recall, and yes, there is some uphill involved. Not all caches are on flat ground next to trails, and your description is probably accurate. :) The only thing I found onerous taking that route to GCD was that we were wearing shorts. Scratchy! When I returned later for Wonkatonia, I wore long pants along the same hillside, and didn't find it a problem to hike through the scrub. YMMV.

The longer trail route that the recent group took doesn't require much bushwhacking, although you still have to hike uphill, and if LandRover is right about the 4WD route to Wonkatonia (which I've not seen), that would be cool, too.

A 4WD will take you to within 300' of Wonktania? That never would have occurred to me. Aren't there barriers and such to block such attempts?

Although the Green Trails map shows a gate there is not gate on the road to which I refer. The approx coordinates for the road head is N47 21.402 W121 19.346. There are ruts and a few water bars but I've made it up in both my DiscoveryII and my LR3.

The first time was the dead of summer, no mud on the road at all, the second time was last fall after a mild snow fall and melt and there was mud in places but still didn't have any real problem navigating the road.

if LandRover is right

Whadayamean "IF" :)