Signed different name on log

Sakmeht

Okay,

I'm new. We caught a couple of caches while out camping and signed the logs with our last name. Will our online log get deleted because my handle doesn't match? You can see my last name if you visit my profile, but will the cache hider do that to verify? Should I sign physical logs with my online handle? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question!

Sarita

Okay,

I'm new. We caught a couple of caches while out camping and signed the logs with our last name. Will our online log get deleted because my handle doesn't match? You can see my last name if you visit my profile, but will the cache hider do that to verify? Should I sign physical logs with my online handle? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question!

Sarita

First - Welcome to the fantastic world of Geocaching!

You should sign the physical log with your on-line handle. If you don't your on-line logs may be deleted because the CO (Cache Owner) will not see your on-line handle on the physical log, that is if the CO is actully checking the physical logs vs. the on-line logs. Most COs won't verify unless they are suspicious of people logging on-line without really visiting the cache. If you are concerned about caches you have already found you can email the CO to indicate you signed the physical log with a different name. Then it is up to the CO.

Happy Caching!

I just place my 100th this week and I have never gone to one and read the names on the log let alone compare them to the on line logs. But that's just me... Does anyone else read the cache's log sheet?

Interesting point, and something that has probably been discussed elsewhere. I suspect that something on the order of 90% of all caches never get their logs reconciled online. If there were cash prizes or free trips there'd be more scrutiny. I think that is why the original poster here really need not have any concern. The chances that even one of their "miss-signed" paper logs will ever be reconciled is very slim indeed.

This will get quickly off-topic if we get into a philosophical debate in this thread about whether the integrity of the logging process is essential to maintain the underlying spirit of the game. So best we not go down that road! I'll just say this... I signed up originally with a screen name that I later decided was too personally identifiable, so perhaps my first 20 or so caches have the wrong name on the paper log. Not one of those 20 have been deleted.

I agree that it's pretty rare. I did, however, reconcile one of my hide's log with the online log because I suspected there was some "dry caching" (logging online without having signed the physical log). That term comes from the frowned-upon practice of "dry labbing" in the science and engineering world, BTW.

I think you're safe, but just to be sure it won't hurt to e-mail the CO.

I just place my 100th this week and I have never gone to one and read the names on the log let alone compare them to the on line logs. But that's just me...

Does anyone else read the cache's log sheet?

I've done it but only in cases whre I received logs that didn't appear to be genuine. In every case I was correct, there was no corresponding log in the book and the log was deleted.

As long as the OP mentions that he signed under his real name it would be a rare cache owner who would delete his log. I won't say never becuase there are a small number of control freak cache owners out there, but the odds are very slim.

I just place my 100th this week and I have never gone to one and read the names on the log let alone compare them to the on line logs. But that's just me...

Does anyone else read the cache's log sheet?

As a finder, rarely. If it's a micro, there will normally be nothing but dates and names/initials. Not much of a story there. For a larger sized log book, I sometimes thumb back through and read a few of the entries, reflecting that a few years ago, someone else was sitting here, doing what I'm doing. I like that.

As an owner, rarely. I just update the swag/drop off a bug/do some CITO if needed and go.

Bruce

Also, no need to email the cache owners... If you're worried about it, just edit your log and C/P at the end something like "Edit: Noting that I signed the log as NAME. Thanks!"

That way it's in the online log and would be easy to compare for the owner rather than digging out an email :P