Delorme PN-30 or PN-40?

I had been all set to order a Delorme PN-40 as our family's first foree into geocaching when I came upon an announcement for the PN-30. From what I can see, you can actually buy a PN-40 on sale cheaper than a PN-30 because of its newness. For a $40 difference, I'm willing to spend the money on a PN-30 if it is a better tool for the job. Also because of its newness, I haven't been able to locate a side by side comparison of the two units. Which one is the better unit and will the PN-40 be put out to pasture in favor of the new PN-30? Thanks for any input! :mad:

I had been all set to order a Delorme PN-40 as our family's first foree into geocaching when I came upon an announcement for the PN-30. From what I can see, you can actually buy a PN-40 on sale cheaper than a PN-30 because of its newness. For a $40 difference, I'm willing to spend the money on a PN-30 if it is a better tool for the job. Also because of its newness, I haven't been able to locate a side by side comparison of the two units. Which one is the better unit and will the PN-40 be put out to pasture in favor of the new PN-30? Thanks for any input! :mad:

Considering the PN-20 is still on the market, I seriously doubt the 40 will be put to pasture less than a year on market.

The 30 is the sensorless version of the 40. That is, it lacks the electronic tri-axial compass and barometric sensor.

Well why buy a PN-30 if it is more expensive than a PN-40?? Do you have to REALLY HATE the PN-40's compass that much, to pay more so you don't have it? :mad:

Just a thought, but maybe the battery life would be a bit better??

You can turn off the altimeter and compass to save battery power, pretty much making it a PN-30, but cheaper, I guess.

Well why buy a PN-30 if it is more expensive than a PN-40?? Do you have to REALLY HATE the PN-40's compass that much, to pay more so you don't have it? :mad:

Just a thought, but maybe the battery life would be a bit better??

You can turn off the altimeter and compass to save battery power, pretty much making it a PN-30, but cheaper, I guess.

I'm assuming the price of the 30 will be lower than the 40 soon, but could be wrong. This would be an advantage for those who won't be using the Altimeter or compass...and battery life will be better for the unit as well (unless of course you do turn off the two features and that this does indeed reduce the draw on the battery).

http://www.delorme.com//about/pressrelease...andheld_GPS.pdf

I wouldn't sweat the prices, much. "Suggested retail" doesn't have much bearing on street prices. Other than the folks who have to have it first, expect the delivered price of the -30 to eventually fall between that of the -40 and the -20.

Don't be surprised though if there's a bit of a premium on the RealTree camo version - there are license fees associated with that.

Edited by lee_rimar

I had been all set to order a Delorme PN-40 as our family's first foree into geocaching when I came upon an announcement for the PN-30. From what I can see, you can actually buy a PN-40 on sale cheaper than a PN-30 because of its newness. For a $40 difference, I'm willing to spend the money on a PN-30 if it is a better tool for the job. Also because of its newness, I haven't been able to locate a side by side comparison of the two units. Which one is the better unit and will the PN-40 be put out to pasture in favor of the new PN-30? Thanks for any input! :P

Thanks, everyone! I went for the PN-40 ($249) that came with the 8.0 maps and an SD card. Arrived last night and I'm busy trying it out. In the end, there didn't seem to be any significant improvements of the PN=30 over the PN-40 and figured I got more bang for the buck, taking advantage of the sale price. Bottom line - we hope to have a lot of fun! Thanks, again!