Lost ceocache

anthony626

I went on my first hunt yesterday, Looking for the tresure. My GPS pint pointed the location and did a complete search of the area. Found nothing? Am I doing somthing wrong? or could it be the cache was not still in the location? Please help.... Really looking forward to a find. Thank you, anthony626

My GPS pint pointed the location and did a complete search

Your gps really can't pin point things. Try pushing farther out with your search, as it's actually pretty rare to have a cache be right where your gps says it should be. I have over a hundred finds, but I can only think of maybe 4 or 5 that my gps walked me right to (to give you an idea of the odds).

That being said, it is possible it's been stolen. It does happen, but not very often.

What is the difficulty rating for this cache? The other thing to remember is that some people take a great deal of pride in camouflaging a cache so well as to make it virtually invisible.

Edited by aniyn

Your gps will normally get you within 20-30 ft of a cache, hopefully closer depending on how accurate the cacher who placed the cache was, satellite reception, gremlins, etc. Also, some hides are exceptionally clever and well done. You might also want to check the cache page online and note if any recent cachers have not found it...this may be a clue that it is indeed missing. If you're just starting out in caching, I suggest you look for caches that have a difficulty rating of 1 or 2 until you gain confidence in your skills. Good luck[:mad:]

Your gps really can't pin point things. Try pushing farther out with your search, as it's actually pretty rare to have a cache be right where your gps says it should be. I have over a hundred finds, but I can only think of maybe 4 or 5 that my gps walked me right to (to give you an idea of the odds).

That being said, it is possible it's been stolen. It does happen, but not very often.

What is the difficulty rating for this cache? The other thing to remember is that some people take a great deal of pride in camouflaging a cache so well as to make it virtually invisible.

Thank you for the information. I'm going out again today to try again. If not I will look for another.

anthony626

Thank you for the information. I'm going out again today to try again. If not I will look for another.

anthony626

You didn't say the size or the difficulty rating of the cache that you attempted, but some caches can be hidden very well, and some micros can be much smaller than you might imagine. I think all of us here would recommend that you begin with Regular size caches with a low difficulty rating.

anthony626

Go to YouTube and check out Headhardhats, GeoSnippets.

Good Finding!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!