Magellan Triton 400

Anyone know anything about the connectivity issues with Magellan Triton 400 I have read a review or two on the problems experienced with them but no firm answer. I am in need of a GPS in order to get back into caching after a few years off.

I would like to get a nice machine to work with but am afraid to blow alot of money, I went through a pair of etrex legends with many issues.

If you have a suggestion let me know, thanks again for the input.

respectfully,

- gracii ;)

I have a Triton 400, I like mine. It's paperless. It's easy to use. It's campatable with Nat Geo TOPO maps.

The cons...you have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software, so you can donwnload gpx files directly from the website, but I use Pocket Queries anyway, so that's not an issue.

Hello,

Sorry you had trouble with the Garmin Legend. Other than the slow serial port and "patch" antenna, it was pretty straight forward and intuitive to use. The road ahead does not get any smoother regardless which of the current GPSR's you buy. The 400 Triton uses Vantage Point Software to load maps and waypoints. I have had to make some crib notes to remember how to do the various functions if you don't do them often. On the positive side I like the ability to switch between various maps and sets of waypoints all stored on the SD card. Overall a fair GPS with a bit of a learning curve.

Other similar GPS units are the Magellan 500LE and the PN-40. These are modest priced units with some really nice features. The Magellan does a real nice job with routes, loads waypoints from GSAK directly and be purchased reasonably. Note: If your 500LE breaks, Magellan will offer you the 400 Triton as an equivalent. I am new to the PN40 but like the fact that they packed a lot of goodies in a small package. The various map types, and somewhat intuitive interface are nice features. It does not load from GSAK and you will have to use their mapping program e.g. TOPO ver 8.0 to load waypoints and maps. Price is around $240 bucks at Wal-Mart online.

I've just touched on a couple of GPS units about in the same category as the Triton 400. You can spend a lot more money for the latest technology. They won't find caches any better, but offer great maps, touchscreens, rotoary dials, etc. All the current units have pros and cons. There are volumns written in posts on this forum discussing the various units. Good luck in whatever GPS you choose.

I have a Triton 400 and really enjoy it. However, I have had some issue recently with it. About 3 weeks ago the unit froze up with a 'fatal error' screen. It was under warrenty and sent it back. They sent me another unit (refub) and that powered up okay. But when I went to upgrade the firmware, the Vantage software did not see the GPS. Vantage worked okay if I was downloading routes, caches, etc to it, but if I was trying to do a firmware upgrade the computer did not see it. Called support again. Sent it back. Waiting for the next unit to arrive...

Unless you can get a Triton VERY cheap, don't bother. They just updated the software on the unit and it's still missing several features. New updates are coming and maybe they will make the unit worth buying. But right now you would be better off going with another unit. It's not that the units not usable, It's just not an easy unit to use. I currently have a Triton 2000 and as soon as I can get a good price on the Oregon 550 I'll be putting the Triton on Ebay.

I have the Triton 400 and I will say it is very accurate, but thats the only good think I'll say about it. Being a long time Magellan owner for around 7 years I was really disapointed in the unit even with all the upgrades.

I'm now using a Oregon 300 and I am very happy with it :D

Unless you can get a Triton VERY cheap, don't bother. They just updated the software on the unit and it's still missing several features. New updates are coming and maybe they will make the unit worth buying. But right now you would be better off going with another unit. It's not that the units not usable, It's just not an easy unit to use. I currently have a Triton 2000 and as soon as I can get a good price on the Oregon 550 I'll be putting the Triton on Ebay.

At REI I saw they were putting this unit on Clearance. Think it was $229?

I have a Triton 400. The latest update cannot be done through VantagePoint. You have to download the update from the website.

Yes, they just did a software update. This update was a general update. It's my understanding that there will be another update which will add some geocaching features.