Event Activities Ideas

I hope I am posting in the correct place,

A few geo buddies in our area would like to host an event this summer, but we need some ideas on Event activities.. of course there will be eating and new caches to be found, but any good fresh ideas on games or other activities that will be family friendly??

I appreciate any help!!

I hope I am posting in the correct place,

A few geo buddies in our area would like to host an event this summer, but we need some ideas on Event activities.. of course there will be eating and new caches to be found, but any good fresh ideas on games or other activities that will be family friendly??

I appreciate any help!!

If you're outdoors in warm weather, a water fight for the kiddies would probably go over well. BBQs are always popular, too. I've seen an ammo can toss, geocoin trading/discovery, working on puzzle caches and even a pinata. A little while ago we did a trivia event.

Sky's the limit.

I've been to events (and unevents) that have featured:

• socializing
  • free ice cream (provided by the event organizer)
  • potluck
  • ordering from the restaurant where the event was held
  • socializing
  • raffles
  • a final "in person" puzzle to culminate a series of puzzles solved collaboratively online
  • signing the log book and leaving (a flash mob event)
  • trading TBs and geocoins
  • socializing
  • a polymer clay class
  • a puzzle class
  • a cache camouflage workshop
  • a Groundspeak demo of Wherigo™
  • and of course, socializing

You can do whatever you want. The more enjoyable it sounds, the more people will show up.

I go to events to meet people so I really dislike events that have a lot of caches, or other activities that send everybody on their own way. I've been to events where when the logs started rolling in, I'd see one person after another log in who I would have loved to meet, but never saw.

So I prefer activities that encourage mingling. Geo-bingo is a good one.

The way I see it is that we can find caches any time. Events are supposedly organized for the purpose of meeting other geocachers and anything that takes away from that is a negative. Of course there are others who feel differently and there are some people who won't even attend an event if there isn't the opportunity to

bag a dozen smileys.

Edited by briansnat

The only event I was able to attend was a geo bingo thing that really was wonderfully put on. We couldn't stay for long due to a death in the family but the initial meet and greet was great and the system was neat. It was interesting, the local reviewer was on vacaction (or at the event, who knows!) and his/her replacement published the caches sometime into the meet and greet. Other than at Search and Rescue events, i've never heard so many cell phones go off at the same time :mad: Everyone was really respectful though and used the printouts (the bingo was based on GC#) rather than trying to zip through a line :) It was really great! Bingo ftw! If you want to avoid anything like that, you could leave the bingo numbers in the cache (though this would require a bit more coordination).

Up here we have folks come to the events from miles away. Events are a good way for them/us to go cache in new area. That's something that's needed here as an active cacher can clear out there area quickly. We also want plenty of time to socialize.

Typically we meet at park or so on have some meet and greet time. Then free time for the group or groups to go cache for a bit, maybe make a poker run as part of it. Then we meet back together for a meal and more meet and greet stuff.

Some of the activities we've done....

Cacher bingo.

Poker runs.

Door prizes.

cache camo contests

Team cache hunt. (The group was split into random teams and sent out to find a group caches hidden in the large park where we met. The first team to find all of them and get back to the shelter won.)

Horseshoes and lots of other lawn/campsite games.

A marshmallow roast.

and so on.....

Basically just plan things that people like to do and would do at any get-to-gether. Just don't over-plan. Leave plenty of flex time. Also give folks lots of time to just talk.

We host a geocaching class for the state park every year. One of the things all the cachers that come to help seem to enjoy the most is just setting around and talking after all the park guests have gone on to other activities.

Bottom line just have fun.

We had our first event last weekend. We had a glowstick poker run. You followed the glow sticks (at night) to the cache locations. 5 caches, 5 envelopes, 1 poker hand.

I want to devise a pirate type cache (event) challenge. I'm just not sure how to do it... Thinking though.