Which smartphones most usable GPS?

Which smartphones offer the most usable GPS for hiking / geocaching?

Do any of them load topo maps

Do any of them have GPS functionality without some ridiculous fee?

I am considering switching providers, so that is not an issue.

Edited by 2brnot2b

Im partial to the iphone, and just upgraded mine to the 3Gs, which has a real compass in it now, and a faster processor. I cant be happier with mine, especially with the Iphone Geocaching.com application on it.

I'm using an AT&T Blackberry Curve 8310 with BlackStar Navigation and Google Maps. I picked up the Blackberry at Walmart for around $30, instead of the AT&T store for $180 at the time.

Has worked well to this point, but I am buying a new GPSr next week because I am uncomfortable caching with my phone and my 8 year old as I usually let him have first run at finding caches when we go together. I worry about damaging the phone from a drop or rain, etc.

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

It has a large touch screen and works nice with Garmin Mobile XT

This GPS looks like the Nüvi series and supports Topo, Road and Sea charts. (nearly all Garmin maps do work)

You can then use the Nüvi macro here at the forum

Oh boy here we go again.

I use BlackBerry with CacheBerry. It's a bit cumbersome but here's the deal. If you cache in areas where you don't always have signal, you're better off avoiding the iPhone. It relies on having a signal. I have been vocal here about GS developing a BB app similar to the iPhone but that was met with much resistance.

If you rely solely on the iPhone and all you do is urban caching, you're fine. If you decide to venture to areas without signal, you're out of gas. For the hard-care, I think a combination of pocket queries loaded to your GPSr and some sort of online app would be perfect. Just depends on your needs.

I've used a samsung blackjack 2, unlocked so I don't have to pay a monthly fee for gps that is built into the the phone. Unfortunately the built in gps isn't very accurate but from what other people told me it's typical of gps phones. I know people who swear by the HTC Tilt but haven't used it myself. I've also used my blackjack with the garmin 10x which is very good but only works with garmin' software.