WTB - Garmin Venture HC

I'm new to geocaching but I was able to borrow a Venture HC and I did find the box I was looking for now I need to own my own unit.

I like the venture HC as it has reasonable to high review online and I have used it before. I have found it with out maps new online for $129.

My questions?

Is this unit something that would be good for a newbie?

Do any of you recommend something similar?

CAn you sell me one in like new condition under $129

Do I need the topo maps? (additional $70 ish)

Ultimately with a budget of $200 what would you recommend / what can you sell me.

I would like to have something ordered by the end of the week.

Thanks

I can't sell you one but can answer a few of your questions.

The Venture HC is what I started with. I upgraded to a 60CSx after about 4 months and mom took over using the Venture. 9 times out of 10 we still use the Venture for marking coords when we hide a cache, it seems to be more accurate than the 60CSx. It's easy to operate, accurate, and TOUGH! Mom has dropped hers into a puddle on pavement and she has fallen/slid down a 20' rock hill with the GPS clutched in her hand and pressed to the ground (screen down!) and it still works like a champ.

I personally use street maps on my CSx and haven't bothered with topo on either but we don't do much hiking. The only time I've regretted not having topo was when we did a 6 mile round trip up a mountain and back. The Venture is not expandable with a memory card so make sure you can even put the maps on.

The biggest drawback I have found with the Venture is that it doesn't hold as many waypoints as the CSx but that is something that didn't bother me until I got the CSx. I like to keep all of my hides plus all of the caches within a certain distance loaded in my GPS but with the Venture I have to filter out my hides and load different waypoints if we are going out of the immediate area. Not a huge deal but having the extra capacity on the CSx is nice.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Venture for a beginner. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade in the future but until you know for sure the Venture is a good solid unit.

Now if you can bump up your budget a little bit (to about $250), the DeLorme PN-40 has dropped considerably in price and I think it comes pre-loaded with all of the maps. I haven't personally used one but quite a few people swear by them, especially in heavily wooded areas.

We recently bought a Garmin HC as a birthday present for my son-in-law, he's new to geocaching but my daughter has been doing it for over 10 years now. Both love the HC, my daughter says it's the best GPS she has seen, it works awesome in wooded areas and near tall buildings, it's also user friendly. Geocaching.com has a feature that allows you to download cache locations directly to your GPS. The price you're looking at is a good deal. You really don't need the additional map software, the basemap is pretty detailed.

Thank you both. It was great to hear vegas's daughter holds this unit in such high regard. I did purchase a bundle from dick's sporting goods. $169 for the unit, case, strap and topo maps. I downloaded some caches from the site direct to the unit. I loaded the topo software and it is sharing cords back and forth but I have yet to figure out how to load the topo.

Thanks for your help

Shannon

:)

Loading topo maps should be pretty easy.

1: hook GPS to computer.

2: load MapSource.

3: open topo maps in MapSource.

4: select the regions you want to add to your GPS.

5: Send to GPS.

6: go in to your GPS's map settings. (hit the menu button 2X and select map, or maybe it's settings > map, been a little while)

7: confirm that the topo maps are selected to show. If they're not, set them as such.

Also, if you find that you want a topo map for an area that the bundle didn't include, don't feel that you have to buy them. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ < legal map downloads for your GPS. I have AZ topo maps on my GPS, without having to pay $100 for 'em.

You CAN also find pirated maps, but we cannot condone that, nor will I point you in the direction for them.

I was reading the post and was excited to tell you it was on sale at Dicks .... but you found it so that's great!

hope you like you're new GPSr! and it leads you to many finds!

how do you like it so far? does it find the satelites quickly?

sean

Used it last night for the first time. Worked great! outside it finds the satilites very fast. We were able 2 find 3 of the 4 pionts we were looking for. Made it to #4 but it was dark and we decided to go back in the day light.

Loading topo maps should be pretty easy.

1: hook GPS to computer.

2: load MapSource.

3: open topo maps in MapSource.

4: select the regions you want to add to your GPS.

5: Send to GPS.

6: go in to your GPS's map settings. (hit the menu button 2X and select map, or maybe it's settings > map, been a little while)

7: confirm that the topo maps are selected to show. If they're not, set them as such.

Also, if you find that you want a topo map for an area that the bundle didn't include, don't feel that you have to buy them. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ < legal map downloads for your GPS. I have AZ topo maps on my GPS, without having to pay $100 for 'em.

You CAN also find pirated maps, but we cannot condone that, nor will I point you in the direction for them.

Awsome... got them on there. Thank you.

Also thanks so much for the map link.