Garmin 400t - which maps are included

ZLA

What topographic maps are included with the 400t?

Is a basemap included; if so, what does it cover?

Are any driving maps (roads / cities) included with the 400t or would I need to purchase something additional? If so, which driving maps are appropriate for the US?

Thanks.

Are any driving maps (roads / cities) included with the 400t or would I need to purchase something additional? If so, which driving maps are appropriate for the US?

Thanks.

There is no 'basemap' as such. Topo 2008 for the full United States is included. No basemap really needed unless you are looking for POI's for Interstates etc.. I use my old Metroguide v6.0 north america for street level mapping and it serves me well. For recently updated areas I'll use the OSM routable maps in a pinch.

The Topo maps have street detail for most areas (all that I have found so far) but lack the ability to do routing, so you'll need something else for routable maps. I think most that are buying maps get the CityNavigator product for quality routable maps. Most choose the DVD version as well so they can have the maps on the computer as well as their GPS.

I'll add that if you don't need the 'latest and greatest' maps (i.e. not updated in the past few years) the Metroguide North America v 6.0 works fine if you convert the maps using Metrowizzz to make them routable.

That's what I've done on my unit for the time being. I couldn't justify new maps just yet since most of my travels have me in areas that just haven't had that many updates to the roads with the excpetion of the ever increasing population of potholes and poor resurfacing prjoects.

Thanks.

A map is included but no "turn by turn" without buying an additional product. The map that is included has a lower resolution than the new product has. Also there are no POI included in the base product. It does list schools but thats about it.

Unless something has changed recently the OR 400t doesn't support autorouting out of the box, the basemap doesn't support it. Even if it did you would only get autorouting on interstates and (very) major highways.

Chris & Renee, if you go to Setup>Map>Map Information what do you see?

My unit right out of the box Oregon 400t has street by street routing, only map installed was the standard Topo, and it re routes, im not sure why u would say it doesnt, The street mapping may not be as detailed as CN but it does the job perfectly.

If that is true, I'd like to know how.

I went from Magellan topo maps to the 400t. I preferred the Magellan as it told me the names of all the roads. The 400t maps do not. I'd like to tell my wife when navigating, turn left on Johnson in about .3 mile. Instead I have to say turn left in .3 of a mile, the third road. I miss my XL...

Unless something has changed recently the OR 400t doesn't support autorouting out of the box, the basemap doesn't support it. Even if it did you would only get autorouting on interstates and (very) major highways.

Chris & Renee, if you go to Setup>Map>Map Information what do you see?

Just got my oregon 400t today :) and it has autorouting :P , but it is the Canadian version. It has TOPO Canada V2 and WW Autoroute DEM Basemap NR.

Haven't used it much yet but I live in a rural area and all the roads are shown.

The European 400T only has a basic map of Norway :P

What's missing in the 400T of other regions?

On Garmin's www I couldn't find details of what country coverage is in the 400T topo maps. I thought I saw it there a few months ago.

Does someone have a link?

I think since the OP asked about US maps we need to qualify that the Topo USA 2008 maps that come (out of the box) with the USA version Colorado 400t and Oregon 400t will not autoroute (turn by turn directions).

Correct. It was a huge disappointment but the City Navigator 2010 took care of that.