Fingers

power69

Are these considered "Pointy Objects"?

Don't get hung up on the technicallity of the law, but rather the spirit of the guideline.

The rule is in place so that Cache hiders aren't going around, tearing up the landscape, especially on public lands (or private without permission) to hide a cache. Even more so, the rule is designed to prevent finders from feeling like they need to dig in the ground to find a cache, and start making holes all over the place, only to realize later that the GPS was off by a bit and really it's just 15 feet over there in the hollow of a tree and now there are 17 three foot holes in the ground.

If you're reshaping the landscape, it's a no-no.

Having said that, I know of three caches that are all technically "below grade" and, in my opinion, perfectly legal. The first is the most obviously legal. Belong to a cousin of my wife. There was a small depression in the ground, looked like a tree was uprooted at some point in the past. His cache was in the depression and covered with sticks and leaves. Below grade, but he didn't dig the whole, and it's pretty obvious where it was.

Second is a cache of mine that I hid in the hole that rabbits kept digging out to get from the park next to my house into my backyard. I didn't want them in my back yard and I worried that they may eventually make the hole big enough for my small dog to get out, so I killed two birds with one stone. I put a cache in the hole. Let's see the rabbits dig through metal! ;)

Third cache is one I visited on a trip. A guy setup a Travel Bug Hotel in the parking lot of a hotel near an airport. He dug out an area, lined it with paving stones, then created a nice landscape of stones around it so that the ammo box could be slid in and out fairly easily. This is the most blatant disregard of the guideline in my opinion, BUT: First, he obtained permission from the hotel manager, not only to place the cache, but to do the landscaping. Second, no digging is required to get the cache out. So even though it violates the letter of the guideline, it fits the spirit of the rule.

On the reverse end, using your hands to dig a hole may not violate the letter of the guideline (ie, hands/fingers aren't really that pointy), it certainly violates the spirit of the rule (ie, no reshaping of the landscape).

Edited by Team CDCB

If fingers were pointy objects then you couldn't move rocks, leaves, or sticks to cover your cache.

The rationale for the no "bury" rule is because some park managers have the mistaken impression that a bunch of geocachers are going to descend on their park with picks and shovels and start digging holes in the ground to look for buried caches. The simplest way to dissuade park managers of this misconception was to add a guideline that says if a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. There should be no fear on the part of a park manager or other property owner than anyone, whether hiding or searching for a cache, is going to start excavating in their park. You can certainly move loose soil (along with rocks, sticks, and leaves) to cover up your cache. Consider however what a finder might do if the hiding place is not obvious. Altering of natural or man-made objects in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method, in a way that would take more than a trivial effort to repair is not permitted. The exception perhaps is CITO. You could certainly move enough soil, rocks, sticks, or leaves with your hands to alter the environment in a way that would require non-trivial effort to undo. Most of the time, however, what you moved with your hands can be moved back with little effort

Don't dig holes, period. The guidelines don't address using a stream of water from a power washer to dig a hole, but you are still digging a hole.

So, are you telling me that all the hours that I spent training my badger to dig on command has been spent in vain? Dang!!!

(yeah, I know, I know... "we don' need no steekin' badgers" ;) )

Edited by knowschad

Don't dig holes, period. The guidelines don't address using a stream of water from a power washer to dig a hole, but you are still digging a hole.

So, are you telling me that all the hours that I spent training my badger to dig on command has been in spent in vain? Dang!!!

It is your own fault for training the little bugger. Had you just turned him loose and waited for nature to take its course you could have used the "naturally occurring" hole that resulted. Now, he's just another geotool.

Two words. Shaped charges.

(if anyone doesn't realize I'm just kidding, and have access to explosives, please let me know so that I can stay far away from you.)

So, are you telling me that all the hours that I spent training my badger to dig on command has been spent in vain? Dang!!!

To: Associate of Chad

Re: Proper role of "Straight Man"

Date: 23 June, 2009

CC: Forum Moderators

Dear Chad, Acquaintance of -

When setting up a joke in the forums ("playing the Straight Man") it is considered proper etiquette to defer to the forum "jokesters" to follow up with the completion of the joke. It has come to our attention that in your post of 23 June, 2009, you did in fact play a dual role in your joke referring to badgers (said pun being a play on words between a Badger [animal] and Badges [shiny emblem]).

In the future, it would be appreciated by all "jokesters" on these forums if you would allow a suitable time frame to allow those "jokesters" to reply to your "set up". Further disregard for this common courtesy will force us to report you to the forum moderators, who may be forced to block any humor posts from your account.

Thank you!

:D