Dealing with/finding child waypoints

mrbort

Hey all,

I don't know how to use the child waypoints that are returned from the pocket queries. For instance I attempted this cache yesterday and manually entered the various locations we needed to go into the nuvi. I have been using the nuvi macro to upload the results of PQs using the POI loader. I'm certain that they're in there already as part of the custom POIs but I don't know how to find them or access them? I am assuming that I have to know the code but I couldn't find it.

Further, I would like to know how to find the child waypoints on my oregon. For the oregon, I just copy the .gpx files directly into the GPX directory. Since I am actively copying the children file (the smaller of the two when you get your PQ, correct?), I know those data are going into the unit but just not how to get at them.

Ive looked at the standard Oregon wikispace, combed lightly through the giant nuvi macro thread and ran a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm thrilled that we have the same taste in gadgets. :o

In the Oregon, you move the child waypoints and the main gpx files to the same place: the gpx folder on the Oregon. Once you are using your Oregon, you'll find the main geocaches in the Geocaches section. To get to the child waypoints go to the "Where to?" button, then select "Waypoints". They will be in there.

In the Nuvi the waypoints and geocaches are both in the Extras area. Go to Where to? then select Extras. Go to Custom POIs. Then to whatever folder you put your files in before uploading to the Nuvi.

I hope that helps. If I misunderstood your question, please let me know.

Carolyn

Thank you very much Carolyn! Now that I know where they're stored, I can hopefully figure out how to search for them :)

Hi,

I'm thrilled that we have the same taste in gadgets. :P

In the Oregon, you move the child waypoints and the main gpx files to the same place: the gpx folder on the Oregon. Once you are using your Oregon, you'll find the main geocaches in the Geocaches section. To get to the child waypoints go to the "Where to?" button, then select "Waypoints". They will be in there.

In the Nuvi the waypoints and geocaches are both in the Extras area. Go to Where to? then select Extras. Go to Custom POIs. Then to whatever folder you put your files in before uploading to the Nuvi.

I hope that helps. If I misunderstood your question, please let me know.

Carolyn

Thank you very much Carolyn! Now that I know where they're stored, I can hopefully figure out how to search for them :P

That's not as easy. What we do is go to the geocache. It will list the names of any additional waypoints at the bottom of the description. Then we go to the Waypoints area and click the little ABC button to search for the waypoint. It means we have to remember the waypoint designation well enough to type the beginning into the Oregon.

Carolyn