marking as found when using POI Loader

I just had my first 'paperless' caching experience - 5 finds and 0 DNF and at least one was because I was able to consult the logs while out. But here's my issue. I use a Garmin Nuvi 360 for navigating on roads to the cache site and then an eTrek Summit for in close work. Previously when I just sent individual gpx for each cache to my eTrek they would end up in the geocache folder which allowed me to mark as found and so easly know when I got back which I'd found and which not but once the caches are in the POI folder instead I loose that functionality.

So how do paperless cachers keep track of what they found today and what not and other notes about the cache that might prove interesting in a log on GC later?

I just had my first 'paperless' caching experience - 5 finds and 0 DNF and at least one was because I was able to consult the logs while out. But here's my issue. I use a Garmin Nuvi 360 for navigating on roads to the cache site and then an eTrek Summit for in close work. Previously when I just sent individual gpx for each cache to my eTrek they would end up in the geocache folder which allowed me to mark as found and so easly know when I got back which I'd found and which not but once the caches are in the POI folder instead I loose that functionality.

So how do paperless cachers keep track of what they found today and what not and other notes about the cache that might prove interesting in a log on GC later?

The following is assuming you're using GSAK to load your caches into each GPSr:

Use the POI loader only for your Nuvi. Use Send to GPS for the Summit. Custom POI's are not treated by the GPS device in the same way as geocache waypoints.

Previously when I just sent individual gpx for each cache to my eTrek they would end up in the geocache folder which allowed me to mark as found and so easly know when I got back which I'd found and which not but once the caches are in the POI folder instead I lose that functionality.

From the PilotSnipes FAQ, he suggests adding the cache from Custom POI to "My Favorites" as a way of keeping track of what caches you've found. Not ideal, but it works. Another alternative is to use the "Recent Searches" list but you have no control over that one - everything you searched for gets listed there.

I use both the Nuvi and eTrex together for urban caches. Drive to parking, consult Nuvi, get out of car to search with eTrex. Mark as found on eTrex, then move on.

Answer to second part of your question (regarding taking notes) : if necessary, CacheMate on Palm PDA.

Edited by Chrysalides

I also use a nuvi to navigate to the parking lot and then grab my 76CSx to navigate to the cache. I have cachemate on a palm and use the log function to make my log. Once home I fire up GSAK and use the cachematelogging macro to log my finds. With the macro and logging with cachemate my logs are always in the correct chronological order.

Jim

From the PilotSnipes FAQ, he suggests adding the cache from Custom POI to "My Favorites" as a way of keeping track of what caches you've found. Not ideal, but it works.

This is the method I used - not ideal like you said but at least it works.

Caches live on my Venture Cx as POI because I am not able to load the entire file of caches as waypoints. A bonus is that it allows me to keep waypoints available for other stuff, such as marking where I left the car.

I keep track of my finds (and not finds) through a simple database that lives on my pda called Cache Log Book.