Garmin Oregon 2.99 Beta Available

I tried to downgrade to 2.98 by running the 2.98 exe. It copyied the update file to the unit but when I tried to re-boot it bricked! I tried several times and it would show the Garmin text, then my startup text and then shut down. I had to do the trick where you hold the power button after you plug the USB cable in. That got it connected so I could then erase the update file from the unit. Now it boots, but I'm "stuck" with 2.99.

JetSkier

I tried to update my Oregon 300 to 2.99 and everything worked fine untill I'm turning of my device. Have the same issue when screen turns half black and half white. I contacted to Garmin support and they confirmed that this is bug. Then I decided to downgrade to 2.98 that previously worked fine. Everything was OK untill I deisconnected device from laptop un turned it ON. During software validation process the device turned off. Then I was unable to start it again and also it doesn't connect to computer anymore - device turn on and after several seconds just turs off. The result is that I brought my device to local Garmin dealer and after couple of days they exchenge my device to brand new. They confirmed that somehow the main system is toatlly broked down. If anyone hasn't tried new 2.99 version yet, then don't even try.

Fourth post on the subject...The latest beta really takes the cake. What a crock of Mr Hanky. It is most irresponsible of Garmin to release not only buggy betas - most of us can live with that, but betas that brick something this expensive is just NOT acceptable. As a previous post said - Don't expect me to buy a Dakota....I really can't work out what they are up to...unless they are contracting software development out to the lowest tenderer!!

I'm beginning to wonder if once you have updated to 2.99 whether it is worth the risk to downgrade back to 2.98? That seems to be where the majority of the issues are happening.

My problems with missing CN map, shutdown issues etc started WITH the upgrade to 2.99. After downgrading to 2.98 everything worked just fine apart from that I had to reinstall the maps.

My problems with missing CN map, shutdown issues etc started WITH the upgrade to 2.99. After downgrading to 2.98 everything worked just fine apart from that I had to reinstall the maps.

Ahh, so I'm not the only one with "Missing Map Syndrome". I had maps dissapear on me and the unit wouldn't boot. Had to remove the SD card to get the unit to boot.

I also now have a brick :) It was also having issues connecting thru the usb to the pc - tried 3 pcs - finally had a stable connection, so "went for it" as some of the upgrades may have helped... wrong thing to do. Tried the web updater, and it got stuck on "Validating: 0% complete"... now it won't even turn on! Tried the last ditch attempt as mentioned in previous logs without any luck.

Will be phoning Canada Garmin warranty service tomorrow. Hope they are quick with the repair / replacing!

More reports of a "bricked" unit, more lost maps, seems like the dirt on 2.99 is coming to the surface. I hope Garmin issues a fix before the long weekend. Come on 3.00!!

Looks like 3.01 is out and they addressed the shutdown, alarm, and settings saving issues. I think I'll hold at 2.98 until a few more folks have tested it.

More reports of a "bricked" unit, more lost maps, seems like the dirt on 2.99 is coming to the surface. I hope Garmin issues a fix before the long weekend. Come on 3.00!!

Looks like 3.01 is out and they addressed the shutdown, alarm, and settings saving issues. I think I'll hold at 2.98 until a few more folks have tested it.

So far, so good on 3.01 The unit starts up and shuts down correctly every time and so far I haven't had any problems loading GPX files from GSAK.