Garmin Oregon 2.99 Beta Available

Used a little today. Routing seemed good...maybe a little quicker to realise it was off-route, but that could be wishful thinking.

Have you tried setting lock on road to "on"? This makes the recalcs faster from what I've seen.

The screen issue probably isn't too big a deal. I'd imagine there's a problem with the shutdown sequence and power is being cut from the display before the pixels are set to off causing a 'ghosting' while the pixels slowly lose their charge and fade to off. I've seen similar behavior when the batteries get really low and the unit has an 'improper' shutdown.

Any reports on GPS functionality, accuracy, etc. on this beta release?

I believe that the "screen issue" is a crash which occurs as the unit is saving configuration to the profiles so it can be a big deal if you lose config or it gets corrupted. Not change in GPS accuracy from what I've seen -- GPS firmware is the same.

Ok, the .img naming sillyness has been removed BUT is there still a limit on the total number of map segments?

Segment limits haven't changed, you can just spread them across more files.

I haver noticed reading all the post some people are having big issues with this updates and previous and yet other have none including myself, i own a Oregon 400t and have been installing all the beta's since i beleive 2.96 and have never had an issue, only improvements, the only thing i have noticed was the black and white screen on close down, but it is not a real issue with me, the unit still shuts off normally and has never had an issue loading maps, aquireing sats and the Accuracy has been fantastic.(so far). Its just surprizing to see others having big problems and has me wondering if they orginally purchased a faulty unit, having corrupted maps or even a bad manufactured cheap sd card and blaming it on the firmware. For me the Beta's have been a step forward, but will continue to monitor it. Or maybe im just lucky.

Upgraded and am now swearing... basemap still there but City Navigator completely gone. Same "not saving changes" that has been mentioned earlier.

Now I want to downgrade to 2.98 but the link I see everywhere ( http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions#toc3 ) doesn't tell me anything about downgrading.. am I just blind and stupid? Advice how to downgrade would be most welcome.

Each Software Version below is linked to that version's gcd file. Normally I would recommend upgrading through Webupdater but if for some reason you can't (e.g. you are trying to downgrade) then you can update using the following procedure:

* Use the links below under "Software Version" to download the gcd file for the version you want to use

* Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

* Attach the Oregon to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

* Copy gupdate.gcd to [OR drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

* Restart the Oregon

I haver noticed reading all the post some people are having big issues with this updates and previous and yet other have none including myself, i own a Oregon 400t and have been installing all the beta's since i beleive 2.96 and have never had an issue... ...Or maybe im just lucky.

Look, there are alot of settings and configurations that, depending on if and when they are enabled, could throw your unit into a fit if the software's code isn't right. Not to mention there are a ton of free maps and garmin maps or a combination of many that could also throw a unit into fits. We've got Wherigo cartridges, gpx files, all types of things going on as far as file creation and saving to your units internal memory.

No you're not lucky, and no the rest of us experiencing problems do not have faulty units. there's just a universe of difference from unit to unit over how it's being used/what is loaded on it.

It's no surprise to me to see some people having problems and others are not. I actually expect it. I would also expect those who push their units to the limit to experience more problems than those who don't. Essentially it comes down to how well the software is written and how well it interracts with various functions.

I'll suggest that v2.99 wasn't reviewed very well before release considering the multiple "Bricks", spanner glitches, and shutdown errors being reported.

Edited by yogazoo

After reading all these original responses to Ver 2.99b, I decided I'm not going to load it - Ver 2.98b has been working well for me. That said, my hat is off to all of you who've taken the plunge, and I thank you for the immediate feedback. I'm sure Garmin will sort through all of this - actually, it is you who are providing Garmin a great service.

Bill

went out today with 2.99 and when I select more info about a cache the info is gone and the unit locks up. I tried the description, hint, log and all the same. However, I found a cache and could log it in field notes. I forgot how much I like paperless caching.

Seems like 2.99 is the first beta that I won't put on my Oregon. From what you guys are writing one must get the impression that it has a lot more bugs than it actually gets rid of. In addition those bugs do sound really serious to me.

To those of you who "bricked" their Unit using Firmware 2.99 beta: Did you get your unit working again and if so how? If not, did you send it to Garmin and how did they respond?

I tried to downgrade to 2.98 by running the 2.98 exe. It copyied the update file to the unit but when I tried to re-boot it bricked! I tried several times and it would show the Garmin text, then my startup text and then shut down. I had to do the trick where you hold the power button after you plug the USB cable in. That got it connected so I could then erase the update file from the unit. Now it boots, but I'm "stuck" with 2.99.

JetSkier

Third post on the subject....Garmin developers obviously read this forum so they are aware of the issues with the Oregon as they come to light. I certainly would. The software is obviously being developed on an emulator probably in Taiwan under contract under strict version control which explains the shutdown issue. I can visualise the weekly meeting where priorities are set. #1 Vessel safety, #2 Garmin reputation issues, #3 New product release timelines, #4 beta development, #5 major software releases. Users who send off emails to Garmin are expending needless energy - it falls on deaf corporate ears. Garmin's main business is aircraft/ship/military navigation and I seriously think that Garmin believe that we recreational users are irrelevant as far as the big corporate picture is concerned. I think the only thing that will get their attention is a boycott of Garmin products until they demonstrate that they are committed to releasing stable consumer products without us having to go through this beta nausea. No other electronic product has 15 beta releases in a row...it is shoddy, unprofessional and might I say it typical Chinese arrogance. The Oregon and the Colorado and the Dakota (yes we will see the same beta junk for that too) have so much potential but the whole software programme is being badly mis-managed. Take note Garmin project leaders...you are on notice!!

Garmin's main business is aircraft/ship/military navigation and I seriously think that Garmin believe that we recreational users are irrelevant as far as the big corporate picture is concerned.

I really hate people that spout ridiculous statements with no data to back them up and try and project their ignorance on others. Garmin's main business is what, again? Perhaps if look at the 2008 annual report:

2008 revenue: 3.5 billion

Aviation: 323 million

Marine: 204 million

Automotive and mobile: 2.5 billion

So, aviation/marine combined is less than 15% of their market. That 71% that encompasses the Oregon isn't important. Why spend time and energy on the business that generates the most revenue?

Rant about the quality if you want - that's legit. But don't make ridiculous assertions about the company's lines of business or focus that are clearly inaccurate.

2008 revenue: 3.5 billion

Aviation: 323 million

Marine: 204 million

Automotive and mobile: 2.5 billion

So, aviation/marine combined is less than 15% of their market. That 71% that encompasses the Oregon isn't important. Why spend time and energy on the business that generates the most revenue?

Rant about the quality if you want - that's legit. But don't make ridiculous assertions about the company's lines of business or focus that are clearly inaccurate.

The Oregon falls under Outdoor/Fitness which you didn't include above.

Outdoor/Fitness was $428m last year which is about 17% of the total revenue, if you assume that Outdoor is about 2/3 of that number (just a swag) you are looking at about 10% of the total revenue which is a pretty small part of the company that is obviously driven by the automotive side.

That said Outdoor/Fitness has MUCH better margins than the more competative automotive market so I don't think we have been totally forgotten!

First, more beta releases is better, not worse. It means they are continually working on improving the product and the user experience. We want Garmin engineers trying to come up with the best unit software.

Second, beta is beta. That's why it's beta. If you don't want to risk buggy software, don't instal beta, obviously, or wait until early adopters have tried it and get their impressions.

Railing against a company because you don't like their beta software is an incredible waste of energy.

Well, the "Wherigo" function is just as crappy as before. No difference here. Tried it again today at a Wherigo I've done previously with my Colorado (which worked perfectly on it) and it locked up repeatedly! NO DIFFERENCE! Not sure what they "fixed" on it, maybe a mispelled word or something, but it still doesn't work AT ALL!

Second, beta is beta. That's why it's beta. If you don't want to risk buggy software, don't instal beta, obviously, or wait until early adopters have tried it and get their impressions.

IME, there is no difference in the amount of bugs in the Beta and non-Beta releases of Garmin firmware.

Let's get back on topic.

I've discovered two more issues (bugs) related to the improper shutdown (crash-off). This was my wifes unit since mine bricked on upgrade.

1) When you set the Alarm to ON it asks you if you want to shut the unit off. If you select YES the unit crashes-off and the alarm reverts to the off state. You can test this by turning the unit back on and going to the Alarm page and it will ask you if you want to turn the alarm ON (we just did). Now set the alarm to ON again and do not shut the unit off from the Alarm screen, try backing out to the main menu and then shut the unit down, when you restart it will ask you if you want to turn the unit OFF (letting you know it's on, unlike when you shutdown directly from the Alarm page.)

2) Dynamic pressure trending while unit is OFF no longer works. You'll see a straight line much like you did in the early days of the Colorado release. Yes, my trend data is set to "Save Always". Apparently the improper shutdown screws up all the OFF state functions.

Wow, one step forward, 18 steps back. I guess little "Bucky" in the code writing department needs to go back to programming school or needs to stop smoking crack before work.

Edited by yogazoo

OK, so I uploaded the 2.99 beta to my 300 and the unit worked with the two minor glitches that have been documented here (half gray on power down and dying upon connection to the computer unless unit is turned on when connecting). So I tried to downgrade to 2.98 and that's when my problems escalated. The unit then turned into a brick with a very, very slight pulse. I could coax it into Mass Storage mode by holding the power button down for 30-seconds while connected to the USB cable. I tried copying various gupdate.gcd files to the Garmin directory on the unit but none of this worked. Finally, I tried copying the 2.99 gupdate.gcd file back to the Unit and now it works again, with the two glitches mentioned before. So I guess I am stuck with 2.99 until they come up with a patch to fix the two glitches.

FlagMan, same thing happened to me (see my post above). When I "coaxed" it into Mass Storage mode, I just deleted the gupdate.gcd to "un-brick" it. I think anyone who has installed this beta is "stuck" with it until Garmin comes up with another release. Since this version doesn't like to read the gupdate.gcd file, I'm wondering if we'll all have to send our units back to get the next version installed.

On a positive note, the unit functioned perfectly and accurately yesterday when I went out and did 2 caches.

JetSkier

I was expecting a fix by the weekend. Looks like I'm going to be dissapointed. Usually when Garmin screws things up this badly they put out a fix rather quickly.

My unit Bricked, my wifes is now without Alarm function, Barometric pressure recording when power off, settings in profiles are screwey and saving at random over power cycles, computer connection is not working properly, and instead of powering down the unit crashes. Bravo Garmin! Does anyone in-house check this crap before it's released to the public?

Today, on my way to the Beaverhead National Forest to collect some data for work my Oregon became corrupt and would not read the maps.

I had a route set, car power cord connected, I turned off my car and hit the TURN OFF button when It prompted me (loss of power prompt). Got my coffee and turned the car back on and the green "loading maps" bar stopped about a millimeter away from finishing and froze. I removed the batteries and tried to turn on without the car cable attached and with it attached with no success. Finally I removed the SD card and restarted. It worked. Apparently my map files were corrupted by the Crash-off 2.99 introduced.

Needless to say I was without any maps to navigate the forest roads with. I was steaming since I was 2 hours from my house, in the forest, with an overpriced etrex summit to navigate with instead of my detailed custom road maps I created a year ago (and have worked flawlessly until now).

:D I was pi$$ed

Yup! Have been using non-Garmin maps for well over a year and a half now on my various GPS units and dozens of units from work with no problems. I figured my "Brick" was an isolated incident based on so few reports of "bricking". My wife's 300 took the software upgrade fine until yesterday.

If you're familiar with the map creation process at all, non-Garmin maps are not just some hacked-up, sketchy files people throw on their units. There are enough checks and standards in the creation process that loading maps which corrupt your unit is unlikely, however possible I suppose. My maps are also all over www.gpsfiledepot.com with hundreds of downloads and no problems have been reported. I did have Garmin Topo2008 on the SD card as well and that .img file also became corrupted.

My guess is the software is really buggy. I'm just trying to warn people not to count on their maps being there If their going out and relying on their unit's maps to get some work done or to rely soley on them for navigation in remote terrain. It really sucked having a white screen with a triangle in the middle while driving and walking in the mountians. The map files were not named after the conventional "gmapsupp.img" they were named for the mapset from which they came (i.e. Topo2008.img, MontanaLandowner.img, etc). The new firmware provides for this however. I'm wondering if they have wrinkles to iron out of this feature.

Edited by yogazoo

Just to be sure I understand you well.

Did a Oregon mess up the map on the SD and if so, where any other files on the SD corrupted?

An Oregon 300 with 2.99 corrupted the MicroSD card so bad I had to reformat in a digital camera because my computer couldn't read it. I had about 6 mapsets with different names since the new software removed the gmapsupp requirement. They worked fine for about two days and then suddenly when I shut the unit down while attached to my car adapter I lost the maps. I was also actively routing with CityNav 2010.

Last night I re-compiled a good old gmapsupp.img file and loaded it up for today. All day long it worked fine even when attempting to corrupt my SD card retracing yesterdays steps.

Just to be sure I understand you well.

Did a Oregon mess up the map on the SD and if so, where any other files on the SD corrupted?

An Oregon 300 with 2.99 corrupted the MicroSD card so bad I had to reformat in a digital camera because my computer couldn't read it. I had about 6 mapsets with different names since the new software removed the gmapsupp requirement. They worked fine for about two days and then suddenly when I shut the unit down while attached to my car adapter I lost the maps. I was also actively routing with CityNav 2010.

Last night I re-compiled a good old gmapsupp.img file and loaded it up for today. All day long it worked fine even when attempting to corrupt my SD card retracing yesterdays steps.

Garmin knows there is an issue if you turn your GPSr off while having an active route going. The Oregon and the Colorado both will lock up if you turn it off while displaying an active route.

Garmin knows there is an issue if you turn your GPSr off while having an active route going. The Oregon and the Colorado both will lock up if you turn it off while displaying an active route.

That's a different issue and it only affects the CO not the OR. The issue above having to do with map set corruption is new. I hope it has something to do with this power down crash not the new mulit .img file support.

I'd like to invite everyone to load several .img files each named something other than gmapsupp and load them up on your SD. I'm wondering how many people have done this since the restrictions have been removed. If everyone rushed to load several different mapsets with their own name and no one else has had problems that's one thing. I'm guessing however that not many people are pushing the envelope on this new feature.

Other than my card corruption episode the operation with multiple .img files seems different, slower. The maps seems to load just fine on the map screen but I'm talking more about the startup sequence and profile settings with maps. Just different, slower, but in some other way I just can't describe. Anyone else notice this?

My friend said "buy garmin, they're the best" so I did. Oregon 300. I just don't understand what is going on. I've had the unit for several months now and the updates are always BETA ??? So whats up with that ??? If their programmers aren't able to test these units before we do maybe they should sell these units a little cheaper !!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........this is starting to PIS@$#?(&)*)(_)(_& me off. I was expecting a unit bug free. It's a good thing I don't treat my custommers this way. :):D

Just had to let out a little steam ....

Thanks for letting me express myself !!

My friend said "buy garmin, they're the best" so I did. Oregon 300. I just don't understand what is going on. I've had the unit for several months now and the updates are always BETA ??? So whats up with that ??? If their programmers aren't able to test these units before we do maybe they should sell these units a little cheaper !!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........this is starting to PIS@$#?(&)*)(_)(_& me off. I was expecting a unit bug free. It's a good thing I don't treat my custommers this way. :):D

Just had to let out a little steam ....

Thanks for letting me express myself !!

So take it back or just install the non beta updates.

I've had no show stopping issues with the Betas on my 300. What's the problem with yours?

No updates, people whine. Updates to a unit which are clearly labeled as "beta- use at own risk" and people are willing to test for the company, people whine. Wow.

/steam

I agree with Maingray, some people take it a bit too far BUT the whole "BETA" designation is a bit hokey to me.

So what does "BETA" really mean? What, do they have junior come in and tinker around with the controls for a little bit while Dad's out fishing? I know, I know It clearly states "at your own risk". But I think the semantics of it all are a bit of a cop-out. I agree with patience and not getting overly worked up but at the same time the dischevelment of releasing a product not nearly ready and having people wait months (or years as with the Colorado) for standard features and bug fixes is asking alot of people who drop $600 on a GPS.

I can definately understand where ARGUS.360 is coming from and the frustrations of owning a Garmin Handheld (releasing a product before it's ready and having us "whiners" beta test seems to be the norm now. I wont be lining up for a Dakota). Garmin brings this upon themselves.

That's pretty much how Garmin works. Hopefully you knew about it coming in, but on the other hand, they are releasing these updates for free. Many devices don't receive updates and are instead succeeded by new generations (see: planned obsolescence).

Increasing the feature set for free? Sounds good to me, and I'm not going to be the first one installing the firmware updates, that's for sure.

That's pretty much how Garmin works. Hopefully you knew about it coming in, but on the other hand, they are releasing these updates for free. Many devices don't receive updates and are instead succeeded by new generations (see: planned obsolescence).

Increasing the feature set for free? Sounds good to me, and I'm not going to be the first one installing the firmware updates, that's for sure.

1) That's not how Garmin previously worked. Things have been different for the Colorado and Oregon releases. The Colorado was so defective when it first shipped 01/08 that it took about two minutes to start-up and the batteries lasted 3 hours max.

2) What your missing is that the product is released with major deficiencies in the first place (see above). Bugs, features that one expects in a handheld because the last 10 or so models had it, etc. I'd love to go up and give Garmin a big hug and tell them a big heart-felt thanks BUT it aint like that. I'm not going to thank them for gracioiusly giving me the ability to average my waypoints when, in todays market, that's a common feature. Not after what I paid. It's like selling me a car without a heater, or a computer without a hard drive,

3) I appreciate your positive attitude. I guess I should be a little more grateful. Glass half full, etc. :)

Don't get me wrong Maingray I realy like my Oregon but here is the point I'm trying to get across. It's as if I bought a cadillac with air conditionning but it only works on one fan speed instead of four. The manufacturer sais it will soon work on all four speeds so he tries stuff. the fan speeds work one day but not the next. So the manufacturer tries more stuff for months and months. Eventually you become a little tired of all this. Its only normal I beleive. There should be enough data now, with all these tests to make it work without any glitches !

I still love my Garmin