09-09-09 Event for Ontario

ELTADA

Hi everyone - over in the geocoin forums there is discussion about planning a multi-location event for the date of 09-09-09. There are about 25 different locations around the world participating in this endeavour and I volunteered to try and get one up and running in Ontario. I have not put together an event before and definitely not one this specific. From my understanding, it can be a regular geocaching event that meets the needs of local geocachers but to be held on this particular calendar day. There will also be an event coin available with each location getting their own unique colour scheme.

Is there anyone out there who might be interested in providing me some guidance/suggestions on what type of event might work well and some potential locations? I am open to any information or tips on how to put this together. Please feel free to PM me or send me an email through my profile.

Thanks!

ELTADA

Hi everyone - over in the geocoin forums there is discussion about planning a multi-location event for the date of 09-09-09. There are about 25 different locations around the world participating in this endeavour and I volunteered to try and get one up and running in Ontario. I have not put together an event before and definitely not one this specific. From my understanding, it can be a regular geocaching event that meets the needs of local geocachers but to be held on this particular calendar day. There will also be an event coin available with each location getting their own unique colour scheme.

Is there anyone out there who might be interested in providing me some guidance/suggestions on what type of event might work well and some potential locations? I am open to any information or tips on how to put this together. Please feel free to PM me or send me an email through my profile.

Thanks!

ELTADA

Since September 9 is a Wednesday, you're probably going to be holding a pub type event around dinner time. Find a pub you like, and ask them if they can accomodate a group of people. Typical turnouts on a weekday around the GTA have been about 40 people when I've hosted, but you can end up with more.

Once you have the pub 'booked' then go ahead and list the event on geocaching.com. Post co-ordinates for the pub in the cache listing.

Note there are no 'rules' for events. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that events are where cachers are supposed to mingle with each other in some way. Be creative and you'll be rewarded with happy cachers attending.

The 'pub' type event is a basic (not very creative) type that's easy to host if you don't have any other ideas - you may want to get an idea what the other 9-9-9 event caches are planning as well, to stay in the general 'theme' of things. Don't forget to bring a logbook for people to sign (or a log tshirt, or a log ammo can, etc etc etc)

Good luck with your event cache!

Thanks northernpenguin for your thorough reply. This will get me started and hopefully I can think of some different aspects to add to the event.

I have just picked the colours for the event coin...it's an amazing design and I am excited to see it in person. I will post any updated artwork or pictures in this thread if anyone is interested in seeing it.

If anyone else has some ideas for me or would like to help out, I welcome it!

Thanks again!