Feature Suggestion: No comment

ReadyOrNot

Suggestion: On found it logs, allow for "No comments". There could be a checkbox below the comments box, ie: [ ] No comment to leave - which would blank out and disable the comment textbox.

It shouldn't affect find counts, etc. But would not display the comment in the logs/recent logs. One concern I would have is that if someone didn't leave a comment and the log didn't show up, I could possibly miss when the cache was last found. To alleviate that, I have one other suggestion:

- In the section that shows the summary "Logged Visits (## total)", have a "Cache last found: mm/dd/yyyy" field.

I'd be interested to know your reasoning in asking for this. On the one hand, "TFTC" doesn't take a lot of time to type. On the other, I suppose that 5 "TFTC" logs might be preventing some recent pearl of wisdom from showing up in the default cache page format (5 logs) or the GPX file, but I don't think it happens very often.

I think it would also make one step easier to pad your numbers (about which, of course, "it's not" ;)) by logging non-existent finds on caches which are archived and have inactive owners who are not around to check the e-mail copy of the log. There is an element of "social control" in that if I log a cache and someone else is having trouble finding it, they might see my log and ask me for a hint. I suppose that there would still be a link back from the cheater's "Found" page, but that's a lot less obvious than having a completely bogus log visible right there on the cache page.

More generally but also more subjectively, I like the idea of having to write something. I would feel bad writing "TFTC" and I try to write a few non-pasted words on every cache, no matter how lame. Legitimising the "empty log" would take something away from the game for me.

Suggestion: On found it logs, allow for "No comments".

Not enough, that cacheowners be offended with (deleted by moderator) shortlogs like "TFTC!", even now empty logs?. Where we come out there? Quite clearly against it! Who is old enough to find the cache, can also write a few paragraphs about it.

Edited by mtn-man

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid suggestion.

Much of the fun of going out and finding a cache, is writing up a story about the hunt.

For me at least.

Copy and paste is bad enough, powercachers don't even remember all those caches, they've found that day.

I'd rather see a critical log than nothing at all. Those stupid four letters are a harsh criticism, but lot's of owners don't even get the message.

So write your opinion. Better saying something constructive for the owner to change this or at least the next ones, than lying a thanks. Or is it saying thanks for the statistics point?

Whatever it is, I'm all for critics if necessary and praise when earned.

And definetily not leaving a log at all.

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid suggestion.

There are no stupid suggestions, only stupid people...

Much of the fun of going out and finding a cache, is writing up a story about the hunt.

For me at least.

me too! And as a cache owner, reading about the hunt is one of the best parts of caching

Copy and paste is bad enough, powercachers don't even remember all those caches, they've found that day.

Ahh, the crux of the issue... What's worse, "TFTH" x 50 by a bunch of cachers on a cache machine OR [sweet silence]....

It's like putting out a guest book for people to sign at a wedding and having a bunch of wedding crashers come through and sign their names in the book... "THANKS FOR THE FOOD! Wedding #23 of #75"...

Honestly, I'd rather not see the mess...

I vote yes, While ther are not that many, there is the occasional cache that after you get there, it's just not worth the log. We also have a local cacher that is unusually picky about how the log is worded. A log like "found the cache, thanks" will get you deleted but "found the cache, thank you" will get the log through.

Remember, none of the guidelines/rules/etc talk about logging on-line as required. Many in our area don't even bother anymore.

A log like "found the cache, thanks" will get you deleted but "found the cache, thank you" will get the log through.

Just the kind of cache owner that makes me want an ignore all caches by user x option.

I understand the "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything" idea sometimes you really need to say something not so nice. A cache that receives log after log of TFTC has had something said about it. The very best of caches always get the very best logs. On either side you sometimes get logs that defy the norm but even then those stand out for the aberration they are.

Feedback and example are the only things we have to encourage an improvement in cache quality. Let's not take the edge off a tool.

I vote no. If you don't want to log online so be it. If you feel compelled to log online to keep your smiley count correct you should at least have the common courtesy to write something. And if you really didn't care for the cache you should at least have the intestinal fortitude to say so.

Suggestion: On found it logs, allow for "No comments". There could be a checkbox below the comments box, ie: [ ] No comment to leave - which would blank out and disable the comment textbox.

It shouldn't affect find counts, etc. But would not display the comment in the logs/recent logs. One concern I would have is that if someone didn't leave a comment and the log didn't show up, I could possibly miss when the cache was last found. To alleviate that, I have one other suggestion:

- In the section that shows the summary "Logged Visits (## total)", have a "Cache last found: mm/dd/yyyy" field.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Is the suggestion that when you go to log a find you click a box which would allow the log, with no text, but not show up on the page? Kind of like an ignore, but counts as a find?

I like it.

As for the last found date: I don't care about it. The important date is the last visit, but that's not tracked. I don't care that the cache was last "found" three years ago if it's been visited regularly every other month. That's the part that needs fixing, so I wouldn't care about that if your idea was implemented.

When you consider that most forum regulars admit to not reconciling logbooks and many logs are of no substance, why not?

Actually, on second thought, in order to get more bang for your buck, how about simply a check box that made the log private? It could be any log type that made sense. The check box would make a log permanently private. It wouldn't show up anywhere except for the appropriate pages viewed by the author while logged in.

One could write a private log to himself for taking notes on a puzzle or storing a spoiler. He could log a find even on retaliatory owner's caches.

Yeah. I know what you're gonna say. It's obvious that someone will abuse the feature and log finds on caches they didn't find. I say they have to step in on similar cases anyway, so let the admin handle that. I see the benefit far out weighing the possible negative.

I say a check box to make a log permanently private is a better way to go.

I wote for no. I haven't found alot of caches so I don't know what i'll write when i get to the bilionth number but I do know that I love to open my mail in the morning and check if any new cachers found my caches and what they think of them.

The log doesn't have to be long but it's nice if it's original not just "TFTC NT". And I use the same logic... every cache that I visit gets something personal even the bland and small caches that really aren't that special.

And that's why I'm really bugged (and i'm not the only one) with hungarian cachers who write OK in the log and that's it. They have a seperate page somwhere where they write all their experience and it wouldn't be too hard to paste it on logs here on geocaching.com.

Would you suggest the same thing for DNF logs? If not, why not?

I vote yes, While ther are not that many, there is the occasional cache that after you get there, it's just not worth the log. We also have a local cacher that is unusually picky about how the log is worded. A log like "found the cache, thanks" will get you deleted but "found the cache, thank you" will get the log through.

Remember, none of the guidelines/rules/etc talk about logging on-line as required. Many in our area don't even bother anymore.

Excuse me, but dancing bears don't get to have an opinion, much less a vote.

:P:D:)

Would you suggest the same thing for DNF logs? If not, why not?

The DNF log type relays information just by the fact that its a DNF log. I would say that the option should only be available for "Found It" logs, not the other log types. If someone is taking the time to log a "Needs Maintenance", they are going to take the time to explain why they are logging it. Same goes for the DNF log type.

I actually like the idea of an option to "Hide" the log, but I don't think that option alone would solve the "Found #5 of 25,000" problem. The cache machine loggers take the path of least resistance. If they are going to write "TFTH", why click the extra button to hide it?

I think a combination of "Hide" and "No comments" would make for a great solution.