Stampeding cows....

PSHAX

Couple of points she had was in a narrow lane with 2 dogs and there where calves in the herd :)

Cows in an open field have more space to run away.

edited because one report I read said a narrow lane but that one says the penine way :)

Edited by Matrix

Couple of points she had was in a narrow lane with 2 dogs and there where calves in the herd :)

Cows in an open field have more space to run away.

edited because one report I read said a narrow lane but that one says the penine way :)

Calves or not, and open field or not, the fact is that there have been several incidents in the past year where usually benign cows have injured or killed people.

For me, the best place for a cow to be is either behind a fence, or on my plate cooked medium rare!

Every time you hear of this there are always dogs involved and they are always on the lead. She went one step further and walked through the herd with her dogs. Her stupidity or ignorance has sadly cost her, her life. :)

With that said I think farmers have to take more responsibility and post signs stating the dangers of walking through fields with cows whilst walking dogs. Sheep farmers post signs about dogs, but then it's their animals in this case that are at threat. :)

With that said I think farmers have to take more responsibility and post signs stating the dangers of walking through fields with cows whilst walking dogs.

Thin end of the wedge - then its sign saying 'Trip Hazard' on daisies or 'Beware - Mud may be slippery' SURELY some judgement has to be employed. Though temporary signs when cows are with calves would probably be appropriate. But it doesn't negate the farmer's responsibility to tyr & put the animals in a field without a public right of way. But then again, a lot of farmers resent having public rights of way through their fields, so probably deliberately do it to discourage use.

Very sad incident. The thing is dog walkers need to keep their dogs on a lead whilst around most livestock, but let them go if its cattle. Some clearly (quite reasonably) assume livestock=keep on lead.

However, letting them off the lead has its downsides. We were walking through a field with some rather lively cows - We're always a bit wary and try to go round the edge as far away from the cattle as possible. A dog walker came into the field at the other side, saw the cows and let the dog off the lead. The dog then ran over and started barking & jumping up at us & our little girl. It wasn't in a friendly way either - bared teeth & growling.

Guess where the cows decided to run...

In all this, the owner never ONCE called her dog. I hate to say, but I started throwing sticks at the dog to get it to back off. I was close to kicking the stupid mutt (and not much further from kicking the owner too). No response from the owner, because she was safe - sod the other people being attacked by her dog & surrounded by agitated cows. Thankfully we lived to tell the tale, but it was scary.

Dog owners, please think about others.

At the risk of saying what's often been said before, if you have a dog or dogs with you and you come across a field where there are cows with calves, don't go in.

If you have a dog or dogs with you and you accidentally find yourself in a field with cows and calves, let the dog(s) off the lead. The cows see the dogs as a threat, not you. The dogs will look after themselves, and you'll live to tell the tale.

I speak as a one-time dog owner who was once sitting in the middle of a field with my dog eating a sandwich when we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by cows with calves. My dog was off the lead - she ran, they chased her, and she outran them easily. I didn't even need to get up - I just finished my sandwich, strolled off to the next gate and called my dog, who came running to me with the herd in hot but far too slow pursuit...

However, letting them off the lead has its downsides. We were walking through a field with some rather lively cows - We're always a bit wary and try to go round the edge as far away from the cattle as possible. A dog walker came into the field at the other side, saw the cows and let the dog off the lead. The dog then ran over and started barking & jumping up at us & our little girl. It wasn't in a friendly way either - bared teeth & growling.

Guess where the cows decided to run...

In all this, the owner never ONCE called her dog. I hate to say, but I started throwing sticks at the dog to get it to back off. I was close to kicking the stupid mutt (and not much further from kicking the owner too). No response from the owner, because she was safe - sod the other people being attacked by her dog & surrounded by agitated cows. Thankfully we lived to tell the tale, but it was scary.

Dog owners, please think about others.

i'd like to think i'm a responsible dog owner and if rufus was behaving in the manner described above i don't think i'd have any quarrel with you if you did give him a good kicking. afterall, it'd be saving me the job of doing it later on ;)

as regarding cattle, i really really hate having any contact with them at all and yesterday while doing the simply ampshire series my second cache required us to go into a field full of my worst nightmare - friesans :o

and to make matters even worse the cache was being guarded by these black and white monstrosities ;)

i've got to admit i did toy with the idea of going home but in end we hugged the side of the field until we got near GZ and then i got a bit chicken and ducked under the barb wire fence with rufus <_<

i know that must count as trespassing but i'm sure they could sense our fear and these creatures are HUGE! we wouldn't stand a chance!

in the fields near our home i know i can safely let rufus loose and he will just run to the other side of the field and wait for me. unfortunately, in unknown territory i've got a horrible feeling he's just going to come running back to me for protection :o

it's very sad to think this poor dog walker lost her life while probably thinking she was doing the right thing by keeping the dogs on the lead. while signs may not be the ideal route to go down it's certainly true that people need to be better educated about the dangers of cattle and dogs. while it may be obvious to some of us what to do, others will have no idea.

and i've tried shouting McDonalds at them but it just doesn't work :)

The stampeding story reminds me of my near death experience only a couple of weeks ago while attempting Dr Solly's Chiltern Hundred.

We entered a field where the path crossed through the middle of it. In front od us were 10 cows including a couple of calves. ;)

We slowly made our way across the field and the cows started to move away but then the calves started to move to the other side of the path where (we assumed) the mothers were. The cows then started to move parallel to us and then one cow made a run for it away from us which caused the others to follow.

Not too bad we thought as our interest returned to the GPS and noted a clump of bushes in the centre of the field. As we approached a possible opening - I looked back and saw a herd of 30 or so cows coming up behind us at speed, including a BULL !!. ;)

We 'dived' into the bushed and watched the herd pass us like something out of a Western movie. Needless to say it took us a few minutes to catch our breath and calm down.

Phew !! <_<

At the risk of saying what's often been said before, if you have a dog or dogs with you and you come across a field where there are cows with calves, don't go in.

Got to agree with you there, Bill. We were going for a cache fairly close by, with a decent walk, on a nice evening, so we took the dog (a cairn cross). After the 1st field we had about half a mile to go......through another field......which has a right of way, in fact it is on the Hadrians Wall Path, and there was a herd of cows...and their calves...and they resented the fact we were there.......needless to say, the cache will wait a bit longer for me to find <_<

Gaz

I speak as a one-time dog owner who was once sitting in the middle of a field with my dog eating a sandwich when we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by cows with calves. My dog was off the lead - she ran, they chased her, and she outran them easily. I didn't even need to get up - I just finished my sandwich, strolled off to the next gate and called my dog, who came running to me with the herd in hot but far too slow pursuit...

...did you have clover in your sandwiches? <_<

It's interesting that these very sad cases almost invariably involve somebody walking their legally owned pet in a recommended fasion (i.e. under close control) while undertaking a perfectly legal activity in a legally accessible location.

While there is, quite rightly, plenty of legal restraint around owning potentially dangerous dogs, and for that matter dangerous machinery i.e. cars, maybe there is a case for re-examining the law pertaining to where and how farmers manage their stock on their land but where the public have a right of access. As a householder I'm pretty sure I could get into trouble if I deliberately allowed a known hazard to cause harm to a visitor.

It's interesting that these very sad cases almost invariably involve somebody walking their legally owned pet in a recommended fasion (i.e. under close control) while undertaking a perfectly legal activity in a legally accessible location.

While there is, quite rightly, plenty of legal restraint around owning potentially dangerous dogs, and for that matter dangerous machinery i.e. cars, maybe there is a case for re-examining the law pertaining to where and how farmers manage their stock on their land but where the public have a right of access. As a householder I'm pretty sure I could get into trouble if I deliberately allowed a known hazard to cause harm to a visitor.

There's a very simple answer to this. Us simple farmers have to learn how to cross the road and other basic survival tactics before we visit big scary towns. Maybe walkers should learn the corresponding skills before they venture into the countryside?

When I was learning to fly my instructor reminded me about 'landing out'. Sheep scatter - cows dont. Cows are curious - sheep aren't. Don't assume sheep will scatter in a 'predictable' way - they really are not very bright. If you land in an empty part of the field the cows will come over and trash the craft. So when I did have to landout - I made d*mn sure there was neither a sheep nor a cow about!!

Don't cross the field unless you can do it under 20 seconds, our bull can do it in 21 seconds.

I believe that the old myth that red annoys bulls is just that - a myth. Cows and Bulls are colour blind. - Now to find some idiot to test that theory.

Mythbusters did this a few weeks back... Anything that moves gets bulls charging, regardless of colour..

Oh, there was another article in todays SUN about a farmer that got trampled for the second time, and is now in hospital.

...did you have clover in your sandwiches? ;)

Nah, I wasn't that lucky... :D

Are you sure that's the recommended fashion whilst crossing a field of cows?

You are joking, right?

When did the farmer deliberately allow the cows to harm the poor woman?

Volenti non fit injuria.

A right of access does not - and never has - guaranteed safety.

What? Keeping a dog under close control? Well, yes I would have thought you should do that whenever there is stock about.

You are joking, right?

No I'm not joking, what I was trying to say is that as a householder I have a duty of care to any visitors (and that included non-invited ones such as burglars ;) ). The farmer allowed his cattle onto the public right of way crossing his land and therefore had a duty of care to members of the public legally using that right of way. Quite obviously he didn't encourage the cattle to attack the poor woman be he surely must have known they had a propensity to do so.

Volenti non fit injuria.

Dunno what that means, I'm just an ignorant Joe. :D

But the farmer did not deliberately expose the woman to risk.

I'm assuming that nobody forced her to walk her dog in that spot.

As far as I know the cattle didn't attack the woman - she was caught in a stampede and crushed.

As sad as it is, accidents happen. In fields. On suburban pavements. And in homes.

Perhaps the only safe course of action is to close any rights of way that cross a farm's property when there are livestock on them...?

Volenti non fit injuria (Latin: "to a willing person, no injury is done" or "no injury is done to a person who consents") is a common law doctrine which means that if someone willingly places themselves in a position where harm might result, they cannot then sue if harm does in fact happen.

What? Keeping a dog under close control? Well, yes I would have thought you should do that whenever there is stock about.

You are joking, right?

No I'm not joking, what I was trying to say is that as a householder I have a duty of care to any visitors (and that included non-invited ones such as burglars ;) ). The farmer allowed his cattle onto the public right of way crossing his land and therefore had a duty of care to members of the public legally using that right of way. Quite obviously he didn't encourage the cattle to attack the poor woman be he surely must have known they had a propensity to do so.

Maybe he made the daft assumption that anyone using the path would possess a bit of common sense. You have to learn to cross the road safely if you visit busy towns and if you take dogs out in livestock country you should make the effort to learn how to keep yourself safe. The countryside isn't some idyllic safe haven for numpties it's a working environment!

There's a very simple answer to this. Us simple farmers have to learn how to cross the road and other basic survival tactics before we visit big scary towns. Maybe walkers should learn the corresponding skills before they venture into the countryside?

;):D:D

Vet -Small animal practice -cuddley kittens, fluffy bunnies, playful puppies, etc.

Vet -Large animal practice -Horses, cows, sheep, etc.

Which practice did she work in?

OK, some vets do cover both types of practice.

Liz Crowsley worked in the Willows practice in Northwich where we take our cats. In fact my wife saw her just a couple of weeks ago. The practice deals with small animals. She came across as a very nice lady who always dealt with our animals in a gentle manner.

Vet -Small animal practice -cuddley kittens, fluffy bunnies, playful puppies, etc.

Liz Crowsley worked in the Willows practice in Northwich where we take our cats. In fact my wife saw her just a couple of weeks ago. The practice deals with small animals. She came across as a very nice lady who always dealt with our animals in a gentle manner.

Regardless of who the woman was - you treat large animals with caution and respect . They don't know about rights of way or the Countryside right to roam . As far as they (the cows) are concerned you are a threat to their calves and will defend them .

If you take the risk you live with the outcome if that risk is unaceptable to you stay out of the field . Simple.

Just to clarify - I am a farmers son and we have a herd of milking cows at home . I take a moment before I jump a hedge or a gate to look and see whats in the field before I go into it. Cows with young calves or bulls mean I go jump another gate - its only a tupperware box it will still be there tomorrow.

Maybe he made the daft assumption that anyone using the path would possess a bit of common sense. You have to learn to cross the road safely if you visit busy towns and if you take dogs out in livestock country you should make the effort to learn how to keep yourself safe. The countryside isn't some idyllic safe haven for numpties it's a working environment!

Well put.

Accidents happen. This is sad, but it was an accident. Not the farmer's fault, just one of those things.

Learn how to be safe in the countryside and you minimise your chance of risk. Townies often seem to be under the impression that the coutryside is some haven from danger, it's not!!! Dangers are still there, but they are different that's all.

Shouldn't matter, you're trained to deal with both at uni.

Now there's a point I missed - she was a vet. Vets no matter what size animals they treat are aware of the unpredictability of behaviour.

When I'm out caching and I have to cross a field with animals (sheep, cows,pigs and even ostrich here in my home counties) I always try to walk quietly around the edge away from them.

What bothers me are time when you get the farmer standing at the edge of the feild with a half-cocked shotgun under his arm, watching me, not that I've had the pleasure of getting my backside peppered yet.

Just because I'm not a farmer please do not get condescending with me and make facile comments about my urban status (you don't know what type of environment I live in so please don't make assumptions).

The point I was trying to make, and which has been glossed over by our colleagues with farming connections, is that a landowner has a duty of care to people who have legal access to his/her land in exactly the same way that any other business does to people who enter their business premises. It may be inconvenient but it exists.

Yes, the countryside has its hazards as do towns and cities, but that is no excuse to ignore potentially dangerous situations.

I will stress again that this poor woman was doing nothing wrong. If the landowner was aware that his herd of cattle was likely to be spooked under such circumstances,and our "experts" in this thread seem to be saying as much, then surely it is not beyond the bounds of reasonableness to take steps to minimise that risk. Knowing that this tract of land is legally,and presumably regularly, used by dog walkers then perhaps the cows and their calves should be moved to somewhere to which the general public do not have access. I concede this could be inconvenient but many things in other businesses are expensive and inconvenient.

The alternative of course is to ban the public from having access to farm land as the landowner sees fit. Would we want this?

Just because I'm not a farmer please do not get condescending with me and make facile comments about my urban status (you don't know what type of environment I live in so please don't make assumptions).

The point I was trying to make, and which has been glossed over by our colleagues with farming connections, is that a landowner has a duty of care to people who have legal access to his/her land in exactly the same way that any other business does to people who enter their business premises. It may be inconvenient but it exists.

Yes, the countryside has its hazards as do towns and cities, but that is no excuse to ignore potentially dangerous situations.

I will stress again that this poor woman was doing nothing wrong. If the landowner was aware that his herd of cattle was likely to be spooked under such circumstances,and our "experts" in this thread seem to be saying as much, then surely it is not beyond the bounds of reasonableness to take steps to minimise that risk. Knowing that this tract of land is legally,and presumably regularly, used by dog walkers then perhaps the cows and their calves should be moved to somewhere to which the general public do not have access. I concede this could be inconvenient but many things in other businesses are expensive and inconvenient.

The alternative of course is to ban the public from having access to farm land as the landowner sees fit. Would we want this?

The comments are not facile they are intended to illustrate the need to learn about the environments that we choose to enter and equip ourselves to deal with the risks. Anyone who chooses to take a dog into the countryside ought to be able to control their dog both on and off the lead, including being able to send it away from them if the need arises. Why expect a farmer to have to alter their grazing patterns because dog walkers can't be bothered to train themslves and their dogs? If you buy a car you need learn how to drive, if you buy a dog you need to learn how to control it!

if you buy a dog you need to learn how to control it!

The issue here is not an uncontrolled dog though is it? As I understand it, the problem occurred because the dogs were under control.

I can see both sides of this - it's the farmer's land and he can use it as he sees fit but is it OK to effectively block legal public access with dangerous animals (in this case cows with calves)?

if you buy a dog you need to learn how to control it!

The issue here is not an uncontrolled dog though is it? As I understand it, the problem occurred because the dogs were under control.

I can see both sides of this - it's the farmer's land and he can use it as he sees fit but is it OK to effectively block legal public access with dangerous animals (in this case cows with calves)?

Maybe having a dog is like having a child there are some things that you have to give up? The path exists and can be walked, the restriction is caused by the individuals choice to take a dog on their walk as much as it is caused by the farmer.

As for keeping dogs under control it doesn't have to mean that they are on a lead or under your feet, a good owner with a well trained dog should be able to maintain control of their dog from a safe distance as they cross a field of cows. It's not hard to train a dog to walk along 50 to 100 metres behind you or to range in front of you as you walk. If they can't maintain this control then surely the restriction is of their own making and maybe they aren't fit to take a dog into the countryside. The old saying that rights carry responsibilities seems very apt.

As for keeping dogs under control it doesn't have to mean that they are on a lead or under your feet, a good owner with a well trained dog should be able to maintain control of their dog from a safe distance as they cross a field of cows. It's not hard to train a dog to walk along 50 to 100 metres behind you or to range in front of you as you walk. If they can't maintain this control then surely the restriction is of their own making and maybe they aren't fit to take a dog into the countryside. The old saying that rights carry responsibilities seems very apt.

But the dogs were under control. Bizarrely, it would seem that this accident would have been avoided had the dogs not been under control but allowed to run free through the field and out the other side. I have to say that the only reason I was aware that cows with calves were dangerous is because of another "cow" thread on this forum that popped up recently. I don't have a dog but I would assume that they should be kept on a lead where livestock is concerned - in fact, I'm sure I've seen signs by fields that state this when out recently. Also, I think I've seen cache descriptions which state the same, apparently wrongly.

It's not the case that if people don't know how to take a dog into the countryside they shouldn't go, they need to know what to do and the correct information needs to be available. I would imagine that in many cases, people think they are doing the right thing and are being responsible and are unaware that they should be doing something different.

I think the generally accepted rule is that dogs should be kept on a lead where livestock is present and this misinformation is what needs to be changed, not mooving animals to different fields or restricting access.

Dog.

On a lead.

Under control.

Two different things.

A dog can be under control, without being on a lead.

I think it has to be accepted that it is OK to let the dog off the lead if the cows start to get curious.

The dog owner needs to watch the cows, and be aware of how how they react, in order to take their own action.

Yes it is perfectly legal. The only legal stipulation on farmers is not to put specific types of dairy bulls (such as friesian) in areas with public access and all other bulls breeds must be accompanied by cows. So cows and calves on a public right of way are not in anyway illegal. The walker has to make the decision themselves whether or not they feel safe in that environment.

I think the generally accepted rule is that dogs should be kept on a lead where livestock is present and this misinformation is what needs to be changed, not mooving animals to different fields or restricting access.

I totally agree. Dogs need to be kept 'under control' not neccessarily on a lead. Many people fail to recognise the difference.

Edited by *mouse*

Ok then answer me this then - Do you have a duty of care to yourself ?

Do you accept the consequences of your actions or is someone else always to blame ?

You recognise that the countryside can be a dangerous place so what if anything do you do to learn about these hazards before you go to the countryside?

Why is it that you think that when you go to the countryside that it should bend over backwards to suit you?

Would you like a Health and Saftey person at each entrance to every field /lane /track with a list of hazards that lie ahead of you with a list of alternative routes / advice and a disclaimer for you to sign that you have read ,understood the above before you go any further and a list of lawyers to help you claim compensation if something goes wrong.

If thats what you want then the countryside is starting to sound like the city.

OK, I have a question. I don't have a dog, but sometimes I have found myself in a field with some cows that have decided to walk over and take an interest in me.

Which is the best course of action:

1. Walk calmly away from them and exit the field ASAP

2. Run away from them as quickly as possible

3. Try to shoo them away by shouting loudly and waving your arms

4. Something else

OK, I have a question. I don't have a dog, but sometimes I have found myself in a field with some cows that have decided to walk over and take an interest in me.

4. Something else

I'd always go for 4 - Something else.

I grew up working on a friends Dads dairy farm, and have always avoided them whenever I can.

Was out caching a couple of weeks ago and the path ended up passing through a field full of cows - and, as they parted, a bull.

I did a detour of a mile or so, and snuck into the field at the opposite side to get the cache (which, fortunately, was that side of the field)

4. Something else

1- Its a possibility but I would not turn my back on the herd . Always watch them so you know if they start to get restless . If your sure there is no bull present then sometimes but not always walking on calmly and confidently the herd will part and let you through.

2- DON'T Run .A herd of cattle most of the time is just curious after a quick sniff and a look at you they will move on.

3- Calm and confident .Shouting loudly and waving arms will scare cattle which will produce an uncontrolled reaction .Not what you want.

4- As I said further up the thread I was reared on a cattle farm so I'll tell you what I would do .

THIS IS WHAT I DO AND IS NOT RECOMENDED TO ANYONE

After looking at the herd and identifing the breed and wether or not there are calves and/or bulls present (no bulls or calves ) I will continue into the field and start to walk towards my exit point . As the cows swarm round I start to "Talk" to them .If they pick up that you are calm and relaxed with what you are doing then you should not have a problem.

Like I said this is not recomended and I bear no responsibility if you decide to try it out.

I have heard diffrent opinions on what you should do when arriving in a field with cattle, some of these opinions do come from seemingly semi "official" sources.

Anyway I thought this link to the Ramblers Association that deals with the issue, what you should do and the legalitys of animals in fields along RoW might be of intrest.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

4. Something else

By now my own thoughts are well known, if less than popular. :o My take would be that if you have a legal right to be on a footpath then it is unreasonable to expect you to forego that right.

However, the advice from the farning community seems to be that you should avoid fields with "iffy" looking inhabitants and find another route. Fair enough, but what are the farmers' thoughts if I was discovered walking across land which didn't have a public right of way. Would it be reasonable for me to use the argument that the footpath was unpassable so I was finding an alternative?

You will notice that there are no smileys in this question, it is a genuinely serious attempt to find out.

By now my own thoughts are well known, if less than popular. :o My take would be that if you have a legal right to be on a footpath then it is unreasonable to expect you to forego that right.

You have a legal right to:-

Walk across a field full of cows

Climb Ben Nevis

Walk into the sea up to your neck - and beyond

Cross the road

Stroll onto the middle of Dartmoor in a thunderstorm

Lie in the middle of Clapham Common at midnight

Whether/when/how you do any of these things is up to you - nobody's going to take the right - OR THE RISKS INVOLVED - away from you!

The main point is that we are using the farmers land. Livestock is a main part of the farmers business and he uses 'his' land for this purpose. Footpaths across his land are to be used responcibly and consideration should be made for his livestock. The landholder reserves the right to withold access if he sees fit, but in doing so he must notify the authorities. Most farmers encourage public to use the rights of way, so long as we stick to 'The Country Code'. At the time of birthing, livestock are liable to be more protective of thier young, but if you don't bother them they are unlikely to become concerned about you. Cows are curious about people and will approach if encouraged. Sheep are the opposite and tend to scatter, unless you are known to them.

If there was no public footpath/bridleway then you are trespassing. If the road was blocked would it be acceptable for the public to traipse thro you living room as alternative access?

If there was no public footpath/bridleway then you are trespassing. If the road was blocked would it be acceptable for the public to traipse thro you living room as alternative access?

Maybe not if the road was blocked and you used somebody's living room - as that would imply forced entry... but trespass isn't a criminal offence - it's a civil tort - and the claimant would have to prove that you had caused damage in order to make any claim against you.....

4. Something else

By now my own thoughts are well known, if less than popular. :P My take would be that if you have a legal right to be on a footpath then it is unreasonable to expect you to forego that right.

However, the advice from the farning community seems to be that you should avoid fields with "iffy" looking inhabitants and find another route. Fair enough, but what are the farmers' thoughts if I was discovered walking across land which didn't have a public right of way. Would it be reasonable for me to use the argument that the footpath was unpassable so I was finding an alternative?

You will notice that there are no smileys in this question, it is a genuinely serious attempt to find out.

A quick read through the link posted by Hampshire Hog makes it pretty clear-

The Ramblers’ Association offers the following suggestions for walkers concerned about their safety when encountering cattle in the countryside. It is worth emphasising that the majority of attacks occur when dogs are present or cows are acting in defence of their calves:

Be prepared for cattle to react, and, where possible, walk carefully and quietly around them - do not split up a clustered group.

If you have a dog with you, keep it under close control, but do not hang on to it should a bull or cow start acting aggressively.

Cattle will usually stop before reaching you. If they do not, just carry on quietly, and do not run.

Should a bull or cow come up very closely, turn round to face it. If necessary take a couple of steps towards it, waving your arms and shouting firmly.

Above all, do not put yourself at risk. If you feel threatened, find another way round, returning to the original path as soon as is possible.

Remember to close gates behind you when walking through fields containing livestock.

If you are attacked or suffer a frightening incident, report this to the landowner and the highway authority, and also the HSE and police if it is of a serious nature.

I can't find anything in that that uktim or myself haven't already said or tried to tell you so maybe an "official " source should put it to bed .

Main points -

1-Be prepared

2-Don't hang on to your dog

3-Face the animals - dont turn your back on them

4- Don't run and keep calm

5- If you feel threatened find another way round

Even the RA don't say you have an absolute right to walk the path come hell or high water .

4. Something else

By now my own thoughts are well known, if less than popular. :P My take would be that if you have a legal right to be on a footpath then it is unreasonable to expect you to forego that right.

A quick read through the link posted by Hampshire Hog makes it pretty clear-

The Ramblers’ Association offers the following suggestions for walkers concerned about their safety when encountering cattle in the countryside. It is worth emphasising that the majority of attacks occur when dogs are present or cows are acting in defence of their calves:

Be prepared for cattle to react, and, where possible, walk carefully and quietly around them - do not split up a clustered group.

If you have a dog with you, keep it under close control, but do not hang on to it should a bull or cow start acting aggressively.

Cattle will usually stop before reaching you. If they do not, just carry on quietly, and do not run.

Should a bull or cow come up very closely, turn round to face it. If necessary take a couple of steps towards it, waving your arms and shouting firmly.

Above all, do not put yourself at risk. If you feel threatened, find another way round, returning to the original path as soon as is possible.

Remember to close gates behind you when walking through fields containing livestock.

If you are attacked or suffer a frightening incident, report this to the landowner and the highway authority, and also the HSE and police if it is of a serious nature.

I can't find anything in that that uktim or myself haven't already said or tried to tell you so maybe an "official " source should put it to bed .

Main points -

1-Be prepared

2-Don't hang on to your dog

3-Face the animals - dont turn your back on them

4- Don't run and keep calm

5- If you feel threatened find another way round

Even the RA don't say you have an absolute right to walk the path come hell or high water .

Also according to DEFRA:

The Wildlife and Countryside Act, enforced by the highway authority, makes it an offence, subject to important exceptions, for the occupier of a field crossed by a right of way to cause or allow a bull to be at large in it. The exceptions are:

bulls not more than ten months old; and

bulls which are not of a recognised dairy breed and which are at large with cows or heifers

Any bull over ten months old is prohibited on its own, and any such bull which is of a recognised dairy breed is prohibited even if accompanied by cows and heifers.

[Dairy breeds are Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey, and Kerry.]

In general anyone taking a dog on a right of way is responsible for keeping it under proper control. If a dog is allowed to run around off the path, trespass is committed against the holder of the land.

There is no rule requiring a dog to be kept on a lead on a right of way but it is an offence to allow a dog to be at large in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep (Dogs (Protection of Livestock ) Act 1953). It is also an offence to allow a dog to attack or chase livestock.