iPhone & Garmin 60CSX Geocaching Combination?

My kids and I have just started geocaching, and have been using the iPhone with the Geocaching app. We love the Geocaching app for all its many functions. However, today was the first day we went out for an extended geocaching hike. We started with a fully charged iPhone battery. After two hours, the iPhone battery was dead. The Geocaching app drains the battery something fierce.

So I'm looking for a Garmin unit now but am confused as to whether to get an Oregon 300 or the 60CSX. I'm wondering, is anyone out there using an iPhone/60CSX combination for geocaching? In other words, using the iPhone Geocaching app in short bursts for the paperless/informational aspects on caches, and the 60CSX for the GPS accuracy/long battery life/better maps/more extensive satellite coverage?

I was initially leaning towards getting the Oregon 300 for an all-in-one solution but I've been reading that the screen is both tough to see in bright light and doesn't work well in very cold temps (which would be a factor here in Minnesota).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Sharknose Bunnies

I am not using the 60csx + iPhone combination you describe, but will offer some suggestions anyhow.

1) Make sure you've returned to the desktop screen before you put the iPhone back in your pocket. Even when the screen goes to sleep, whatever app you have open is still running and using the battery. Maps, Motion-X GPS, Geocaching App -- all are power hogs.

2) No matter what device you're carrying, you should carry spare batteries. For the iPhone, I carry this:

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-45407...ry+Booster.html

3) My backup GPS is usually a DeLorme PN-40, and sometimes a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices, and both are quite a bit less expensive than the other options you're considering.

For mapping, information storage/retrieval, and ease of use, I don't think you can beat the iPhone. So even if need a "real" GPS for some uses, I'd be inclined to NOT spend big $$$ for lots of bells and whistles. Just get one that's accurate (PN-40, any Garmin H series) to help you zero in.

Hi - I use the iPod Touch and the GPSMAP 60Cx - a very similar configuration to what you've mentioned. If budget is no issue, I'd get the Oregon for true paperless caching. Then you don't even need the iPhone at all. What I do is use igeocacher which is a portable database program. You take all your cache information with you, not using the cell phone internet option. The battery lasts way longer because you aren't actively downloading data wirelessly all the time. This combination works great for me. I would have bought the oregon if I didn't already have the iPod Touch.

I use an iPhone and a 76CSx. works well and gives me all the information I need. I don't use GSAK anymore to try and squeeze as much info into the 76CSX as possible as it's all on the iphone.

my wife uses an iPhone and an Oregon 400t.

it'll come down to price and features. the touch screen on the oregon makes entering data more pleasent. the oregon is also smaller unit so it's easier with smaller hands or for tossing into a purse.

the 60CSx has a slightly better antenna, but it works best in a verticle orientation.

the 76CSx and oregon both have the same antenna which works best in a horizontal orientation.

otherwise all three units have the same gps chip set.

I tend to use my unit horizontally, so I went with the 76CSx over the 60CSx.

once they come out with a 3 axis compass, then this will not longer me a concern of mine.

I've found the software on the oregon tends to average more, so it can take pausing a bit when you start to get close to GZ for the coords to catch up. this is actually useful for driving, but can get annoying (at least to me) when geocaching.

if you use the gps to route you to the cache while driving, the oregon has another nice feature where you can simply change the mode to turn off routing, while with the 60 or 76 you have to click through a few more options to get it out of routing and into bearing.

the 60, 76, and iphone cannot do Wherigo, so if that's something you want, then the oregon is the way to go.

if you have any questions, give me a hollar.

Dan Tedrick

lee - Thanks. I thought for sure that the iPhone would last more than two or three hours on a full charge, so I didn't bother to turn off the Geocaching app when I stuck the phone in my pocket. You make a great point, and I'll be sure to turn off the app before tucking it away from now on.

You know, I hadn't even considered a backup battery charger for the iPhone. D'oh! That's a fantastic idea, and very cheap as well. Thanks! I'm going to pick one of those things up.

geojibby - Thanks. I'll check out that igeocacher app. It looks fairly handy, but I generally get frustrated with the speed of web-based apps.

grimlaf - Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the differences in the accuracy of the 60CSX and the Oregon. That is helpful. I won't be using the GPS for driving. I bought a Nuvi a few months ago and have been reasonably happy with that.

I have to confess that shortly after I posted this I stumbled onto a post here that mentioned that Dell has the Oregon 300 on sale for $250. It's currently backordered and should arrive in a week or so. It might be a bit of overkill, but I figure at that price I can probably try the unit for a month or so to see how I like it, then sell it for little loss if I'm not happy with how things are working.

We're really enjoying the hobby though, so I can justify the price. I think we'll get out money's worth. I take my two kids out with me when we geocache, so if I've got two units they can each hold one.

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone. I'll update this once the Oregon arrives and we give the iPhone/Oregon combination a test.

Edited by Sharknose Bunnies