Feature Request: Filter out HTML in a PQ

Arrow42

Just that... My GPSr doesn't render the HTML and it makes the description really difficult to read on that little screen. Do some GPSrs render that html?

Edit: I do suspect that there might be a tool to do that, and I would like to know about that, but it would also be nice to be able to just be able to check a checkbox in my preferences. :)

Edited by Arrow42

Without knowing what GPS you have or what software is involved, it's hard to suggest improvements for your workflow. Server-side changes are probably the wrong solution.

Magellan Triton 400.

I currently only use the VantagePoint software.

That makes it easy. Since you're using only the maker's own software, placing blame is simple. :-) As Magellan doesn't support third party software talking to their units, the ball is squarely in their court for not sending "gibberish" to their own receivers.

You should file a bug report with Magellan against VantagPoint.

That makes it easy. Since you're using only the maker's own software, placing blame is simple. :-) As Magellan doesn't support third party software talking to their units, the ball is squarely in their court for not sending "gibberish" to their own receivers.

You should file a bug report with Magellan against VantagPoint.

I could just as easily ask them to render the HTML. That would ultimatly be a better solution.

From what people have said Magellan is famous for terrible customer support so I suspect that talking at them would be like talking at a brick wall. <_<

While it may be true, asking one company to compensate for the inadequacies of another is hardly a slam dunk.

That's not to say it doesn't happen - I do it in GPSBablel a lot, in fact - but it's unlikely to get you far with Groundspeak given Triton's dismal market share.

Rendering arbitrary HTML in an embedded system like a GPS is hard. Only in about the last two years have cell phones been able to do it with any reasonable degree of fidelity. Doing it well would require prefetching images and such and "blobbing" them onto the device. Some limited subset of HTML (approximately bbcode) with some cooperation from host software would probably not be terribly hard if the device had some kind of reasonable support for things like fonts and markup.

Certainly there are caches where stripping the HTML (and how much do you strip? Maybe Triton understands more or less HTML than some other device) would "break" the cache page beyond what's useful anyway.

In short, I don't expect this request to get off the ground at Groundspeak. If it doesn't at least get heard by Magellan, well, that could confirm your suspicion.

Does any GPSr strip out the HTML or actually render it properly? I kind of made this sugestion based on the assumption that this would be rare... if it's just the Triton who does it badly, then never mind then.

Yes, the Garmin Colorado and Oregon do a decent job rendering basic HTML (i.e. that you find on most cache pages).

As far as stripping out the HTML before sending it to your Triton, that could be done with GSAK (click here) and a simple macro. In fact, this thread prompted a GSAK macro that strips the HTML out of a GPX file (click here). You could use GSAK to strip HTML from your GPX files before loading them to the Triton using VantagePoint.

Edited by Kai Team

Does any GPSr strip out the HTML or actually render it properly? I kind of made this sugestion based on the assumption that this would be rare... if it's just the Triton who does it badly, then never mind then.

DeLorme strips out the HTML entirely AFAIK.