best geocaching around Seattle with kids?

annamc

OK. School is over. Summer looms ahead of me. What the heck am I going to do with two kids for the summer? Heh. I need suggestions of your favorite places in or around Seattle WITH KIDS. The kids are 5 and 8, so no major hikes, no serious bushwhacking, etc. We live in SE Seattle, but are relatively portable, so I am hoping for suggestions for fun ones in the city and also day trips to take - within a couple hours of the city.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks so much!!!

Anna

OK. School is over. Summer looms ahead of me. What the heck am I going to do with two kids for the summer? Heh. I need suggestions of your favorite places in or around Seattle WITH KIDS. The kids are 5 and 8, so no major hikes, no serious bushwhacking, etc. We live in SE Seattle, but are relatively portable, so I am hoping for suggestions for fun ones in the city and also day trips to take - within a couple hours of the city.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks so much!!!

Anna

Hi Anna . . I'm not much of a poster so I hope this appears in the correct format. I made mention of this outstanding multi-cache a while back and it's definitely worth repeating:

The multi-cache I find myself visiting . . over and over again . . is Kubota Garden. Kubota is a tucked-away gem in Seattle's Rainier Beach neighborhood that offers those lucky enough to visit the opportunity to immerse themselves in a spectacular blend of native Northwest plants and Japanese garden design. Regardless of season, Kubota offers a restful and relaxing refuge set amongst streams, waterfalls, bridges, hills and valleys.

WeightMan gave careful consideration to his placement of the six waypoints; the result is a spectacular tour of the Garden that leaves visitors looking forward to experiencing the changes that winter, spring, summer and fall bring to this meticulously maintained Historic Landmark. I've been to Kubota three four times in the past few years; I've joined fellow cachers on their visits and will be returning shortly with my sister in tow! When you visit, perhaps we'll meet on the Red Bridge!

p.s. If I could imagine the *best* cache ever it would be very much like this one - a blend of beauty, historical significance and a desire to perpetuate the experience!

I think you, and your children, would enjoy Kubota . . you don't see many gardens like it - anywhere!

idajo2

Thanks! We love Kubota Garden - it's really close to our house (We're in Seward Park.) and it's a great place. We will go there this week and try the geocaching - I have been to Kubota many times, but never geocaching.

Thanks for the tip!!

anna

I would recommend with kids the caches in the bigger Seattle Parks, Magnuson, Lincoln, Carkeek. Even if they get a little bored on the caching side of things, there are always other things to do. I know my two always appreciate some play equipment. I would also recommend the caches in Marymoor Park in Redmond.

As far as specific cache recommendations we just did one today that was very enjoyable, Arboretum Waterfront Trail, don't miss the other caches in the Arboretum either.

A little further out (Sammamish) has a couple of caches I found recently that kids should enjoy, Ball Swap and Plateau Pirate Treasure.

And one last park recommendation, but in Snohomish County, Willis Tucker Park. Bring the swim suits, they have a water park next with the play equipment.

We enjoy Ft Steilacom Park (just outside of Tacoma) with the kids. Its a large park with at least 6 caches in the park. There is a playground, ball fields, history, a cemetery, an off leash dog area, and a lake. Its a great park for the kids to cache! :D

Hi Anna,

We are pretty new to this, but the kids love the Albert and Friends caches over on the eastside. Thanks for the posts, I have a 5 and 7 year old and needed ideas for this summer as well!

mary