Replacement PDA needed

I got my Mio P550 wet last week and it still hasn't come to life.

I need a replacement which will hold MemoryMap as I do use it all the time for walking and caching.

Can anyone recommend a suitable model? The Mio was OK but battery life is poor. I don't need wifi as i have it on my phone.

I'd rather buy a new one especially if I can claim on my home insurance.

Thanks!

I got my Mio P550 wet last week and it still hasn't come to life.

I need a replacement which will hold MemoryMap as I do use it all the time for walking and caching.

Can anyone recommend a suitable model? The Mio was OK but battery life is poor. I don't need wifi as i have it on my phone.

I'd rather buy a new one especially if I can claim on my home insurance.

Thanks!

I have a MioP360, him indoors has a Ipaq. Of the two, the Ipaq is much better, so when it's time for me to replace I'll be getting one of those. Battery life is loads better on the Ipaq as it the screen resolution and general usability.

Which Ipaq model please? Does it have a loop thing so it can be hung around the neck with a neck strap?

Agree the battery life of PDA's is not great but I use an external battery supply (holds 4 x AA batteries). This is the one. It runs my Mio for about 5 hours. The new Mio P360 looks good (no wifi/bluetooth but otherwise same as the P560).

Chris (MrB)

I used to have a Mio P550 but now have a P560. The battery life is loads better on the P560 and so far have not had to use my battery extender.

I got my Mio wet once too, sent it off and got a new screen and also use an external power source.

Where did you send it to? Mitac UK?

That may be MUCH cheaper!

I do have a power monkey.

I used gps midlands, delivered it myself, collected it one hour later. Result! Was so pleased left an Acer to be repaired too but waited weeks and months to get that back. Have since used ipaqrepair who were very efficient.

Our Mio 201 died today. Moving the gps receiver results in the screen switching modes. That is not such a problem but we cannot get the satellites to 'fix'. The machine starts to track the satellites but never achieves a fix.

Debate now -

repair - probably not

add a new bluetooth gps

buy a new combined pda and gps - if so which?

Peter

Over on the car-boot sale thread, someone is/was selling a Fujitsu Loox N500 for forty quid complete with sat-nav and Cachemate. I have the N520, which is the same as the N500 except it has WiFi and the N500 doesn't. These machines run Windows Mobile 5, so if your existing software is transferable, that might be for you. These have SiRFStar III GPSrs. Although it's not very good in dense woods, mine seems reasonable everywhere else.

WRT battery times, I can get nearly eight hours out of my N520 with the backlight set on very low. With the backlight on full, it only lasts about an hour and a half, so I've been thinking of a Powermonkey or similar. Powertraveller tell me that their Powermonkey works with this device if you use the unit's USB charge/sync cable (they don't sell a suitable Monkeynut).

I've been thinking about the water problem also, and I'm thinking of investing in an Aquapac, and wonder whether anyone's got experience of these?

Geoff

Edited by Pajaholic

Sorry to hear about your Mio.

If you do get it fixed the trick is to make sure that Activesync is not trying to sync with other computers every few minutes, thats what rogers the battery - it is a pain in the bum but there are a good few threads on here on how to disable it, pm us if you can't find one. The Mio usually starts to behave slightly differently when it's reset it's self to auto-syncing, but as it only takes a few seconds to reset its no problem - it's poor software that lets it down - the later windows on the 560 sorts this I believe.

We also switch the screen off when walking, easy if you are following a path, after all do you want to enjoy the scenery or stare at a PDA screen all day?

We do have a battery backup, just in case, but rarely use it.

Hope this helps. H&L.

HP IPAQ RX5720

HP IPAQ RX5720

HP IPAQ RX5720

... the most common caching PDA and with good reason, there's even a user group dedicated to it!

http://www.secaching.co.uk/forum/viewtopic...?f=10&t=130

Commonly available on Ebay for under £100, does everything that's needed, faultlessly. Battery life outstanding. Signal strength outstanding.

:laughing:

Edited by PopUpPirate

Should have had a look on eBay, there's an Ipaq H6340 Pocket PC Phone here:

Ipaq H6340

...it does everything, phone, PDA, toy, GPS mapping and driving, office stuff and it's going for £60 delivered at present.

So good, we've got three! One for me, one for 'er indoors and a spare cos I couldn't resist it going cheap on eBay.

Old technology now but does MM, TomTom, GPSonar (and Cachemate but I prefer Sonar).

I use it everyday at work, BT earpiece in the car, BT Keyboard at work for data entry and texting, lists, todo and Voice Commander so I can operate it by shouting at it in the car. Word & Excel, Scrabble & Backgammon too just to round things off. Honestly I would be lost without it.

Got a nice aluminium box to clip it to my waist when we take it out caching most weekends.

Still a greatly under-rated piece of kit still going strong.