If Magellan and Vantage Point were cute, furry animals...

... I would beat them all over my front yard with a golf club. If they were a building I would launch molotov cocktails into them, screaming with glee. If they were paper I would bring them to the toilet and... well, you get the idea.

I am not the most suave guy with the technology but I have never experienced this level of frustration with any other electronic device. I would estimate that I have spent over 30 hours trying to coax, charm, and coerce this POS machine to do what should be easy and "intuitive" (I've developed a true hatred for that word). I'm starting to question why I even care about having a handheld GPS device! A couple more days of this and I'm likely to do something to it that will void the warranty (if it even has one!).

I should be more specific- My uncle gave me this Magellan Triton 300 (curse his soul!) and it does work like it's supposed to until I try to get the National Geographic TOPO maps into it. I'm gonna simplify this and only ask one question right now.

Why are there no tabs on my Vantage Point? When I look at the Vantage Point User Guide I see 5 tabs- Maps, Library, Planner, Connect, My GPS. These tabs are conspicuously absent from my Vantage Point and it turns out you actually need them to do stuff.

Can anyone help me get some tabs? If I get the tabs than I will probably not break anything and maybe I'll be well on my way to GPS joy. Also, I didn't mean to curse my uncle. I'm just in the grips of the evil spirit of Magellan right now and I'll be OK once I get my tabs.

... I would beat them all over my front yard with a golf club. If they were a building I would launch molotov cocktails into them, screaming with glee. If they were paper I would bring them to the toilet and... well, you get the idea.

I am not the most suave guy with the technology but I have never experienced this level of frustration with any other electronic device. I would estimate that I have spent over 30 hours trying to coax, charm, and coerce this POS machine to do what should be easy and "intuitive" (I've developed a true hatred for that word). I'm starting to question why I even care about having a handheld GPS device! A couple more days of this and I'm likely to do something to it that will void the warranty (if it even has one!).

I should be more specific- My uncle gave me this Magellan Triton 300 (curse his soul!) and it does work like it's supposed to until I try to get the National Geographic TOPO maps into it. I'm gonna simplify this and only ask one question right now.

Why are there no tabs on my Vantage Point? When I look at the Vantage Point User Guide I see 5 tabs- Maps, Library, Planner, Connect, My GPS. These tabs are conspicuously absent from my Vantage Point and it turns out you actually need them to do stuff.

Can anyone help me get some tabs? If I get the tabs than I will probably not break anything and maybe I'll be well on my way to GPS joy. Also, I didn't mean to curse my uncle. I'm just in the grips of the evil spirit of Magellan right now and I'll be OK once I get my tabs.

The tabs are gone, Vantage point was recently upgraded. Here's the New Manual.

Also, the Triton Forums are a great help.

Also, if there is something specific you need help with, I have some Step-By-Steps that may help

The link provided on that website gives me the same User Manual that I already know and hate! Thanks for checking it out for me but this doesn't solve my problem.

The funny thing is, I shouldn't need a user manual to get maps into a device! Something like that should be so easy I could do it drop dead drunk. Yet here I am, stone cold sober, believing that Magellan doesn't WANT me to use maps.

So the latest version of Vantage Point has no tabs? I'm ready to crush this F@&K$#G thing...

<_<

I ran out of things to curse at my Magellan Triton 1500 lasnight as I stormed off, leaving poor hubby (an IT programmer/designer) to discover the source of my woes.

I came back down after a hot shower to see his laptop out, with VP installed on it. My computer with VP installed on it. Baby BAM's computer with VP installed on it. (I also tried to get it to work at work, but no-go)

"It's not you. It's nothing WE have done wrong. This software just SUCKS. It's useless."

I don't think I can 'help you' very much (I sure can empathise though!)

But I just managed to get the Vantage Point relatively installed by using a tutorial by jungleghost.

It was for a slightly older version, but that was okay - It still walked me through the installation, and there was something that he noted in the process which was coincidentally OPPOSITE to what Magellan says...and he was right. (this was in regards to running Vista, and running the .exe as admin)

Anyhow, in that tutorial he noted that VP and Nat. Geographic cannot be open at the same time.

Maybe this is something that is affecting your chances for success?

We're going on a "caching roadtrip holiday" starting tomorrownight, and our software has impeded us from being able to plan our route.

I feel your frustration.

HOLY BALOGNA IT WORKED!!!

Thankyou, Deadelm, for pointing out what I can now see is an obvious solution. In my focus on that useless program Vantage Point I neglected my TOPO software. Now I have my maps and nothing needs to be crushed. Thankyou Deadelm, thankyou SkellyCA, and thankyou my kind uncle who gave me this GPS unit. Now I can carry on with my life and maybe find a cache or 2 in this incessant rain we've been having!