Cache in Indian Reserve

hummerhead08

It should be - many reserves are considered unceded land, and it could be considered quite offensive if people just presume they can be there.

Take the safe approach and talk to the council in charge.

I had a friend that had to be airlifted out of a reservation near Edmonton after being caught ATVing on a reservation - he didn't make it.

Juicepig's response is dramatic, and as I know 4 Bands, probably extremely true! Native reserves are sovereign territory to them, and should be approached with the dignity that anyone would give any private landholder. Go to the band council and ask for permission to place a cache. You may be surprised at the welcome reception you get, just because you had the gonads to do so.

I have not tried to get a cache on Ontario native reserves as of yet, but am so tempted because of the potential. Be honest, explain your motives, and go for it, after going to council and getting permission.

As a sideline, when approaching council, do not refer to the land as Indian, but rather, Native. Things have changed in the last few years (decades) since I was raised on an Indian Reserve.

Juicepig's response is dramatic, and as I know 4 Bands, probably extremely true!

Ya, dramatic - but it happened - and its worst case scenario! I've spent quite a bit of time on Native reserves, and admit probably most of them wouldn't care. But you don't want to take the chance.

treat it like every other cache - and ask the land owner before placing

Thank you for your counsel but I'd rather move it. It would be easier that way. The Council may need to convene or pass a resolution about this cache and I don't want to waste their time and money.

I hope that the short stint of the cache has created some awareness on the garbages dumped or still being dumped in this to-be-approached-with-dignity Native reserve. I bet it did as another cache, 190m away on the same reserve but on a nicer place, did not get not-so-good "publicity" as this cache did.

Hey all,

I'm a "Native/Aboriginal/Indian/lots of fun names" who lives on a Reserve. I've placed a number of caches on my own reserve and in the areas surrounding it. I've also placed caches on behalf of one of the departments within our Government to help attract tourists here. They've been visited by many without any incident! :D

Not all reserves are the same, unfortunately it only takes a couple of incidents to paint us all the same. If I had to base my perception of a town on what happened in another town I'd never leave my house. For example: A young girl was abducted not long ago in Ontario... I guess I'll never go to another town in Ontario, or Canada. :D

The points brought up here are good and valid points though. I might come up with some sort of disclaimer to put in the descriptions of the caches I am responsible for, for those who might be worried about visiting. A few of my caches are in great areas and it would be a shame if someone didn`t visit because they are located on a reserve.

Rene