Legend HCx, lost data

Hi.

I've had a Legend for a few weeks and had a list of about 20 geocaches in it, 13 of which I had found. I picked up the unit today after not using it for a week and have found that all the cache entries have gone. The Waypoint file was empty as was the Geocache file and the Recent Finds. Has anyone come across this problem before or know what may have caused it?

I have not been able to download coordinates from my computer so have been putting them in manually which takes a fair amount of time so this is a bit annoying.

Any theories?

Cheers :)

First things first.... get a copy of EasyGPS (free), connect your Legend to your PC with the USB cable and get them working together. That way you've got the ability to back it up and easily transfer waypoints to it.

As to losing all data, the only way to do this is to manually select the option to delete waypoints, tracks etc. I've not had problems with my Vista H even when I've taken the batteries out. Sorry, can't help on that bit.

Chris (MrB)

Hi Mr B.

Thanks for your email.

The lost data is a mystery to me as the unit wasn't touched at all. I hadn't taken out the battery or the memory card so .....

I have downloaded Easy GPS and have also tried GSAK but they cannot link with my Legend. Apparently you need to install the Garmin Communicator Plug-In for the computer to communicate with the gps but this software is not compatible with my O/S - Windows 2000Pro.

Thanks for replying. :)

Hi Mr B.

Thanks for your email.

The lost data is a mystery to me as the unit wasn't touched at all. I hadn't taken out the battery or the memory card so .....

I have downloaded Easy GPS and have also tried GSAK but they cannot link with my Legend. Apparently you need to install the Garmin Communicator Plug-In for the computer to communicate with the gps but this software is not compatible with my O/S - Windows 2000Pro.

Thanks for replying. :)

Windows 2000? Explains a lot. It's not compatible with anything :) Saying that you may just need to download the basic USB drivers, here's the link to the Garmin support page.

Chris (MrB)