Whats the best Nuvi for Paperless

I currently have a Nuvi 650 and it works well. I have the alert distance set about 1500 meters. I would like to expand that, but if I go higher, the processor can't handle it. I was wondering if some of the newer models can handle this better. I cant find any specs on the processors on them.

Well, of all the Nuvi's in production only the 500/550 series has any amount of weather resistance, so I'd recommend one of those if you HAVE to cache with a Nuvi.

A truly "outdoor rated" GPSr is a much better choice, for their ruggedness as well as being a bit more precision accurate. All Nuvis have to do is get you within "sight" of your destination (bank, ATM, gas station, etc)..

Keep your current Nuvi for car navigating & grab an outdoors rated model for Geocaching! :)

I have a hand held for when I get out of the car. The way I cache is drive while looking at the nuvi, finding the spot were a cache is, park and use the handheld. I would like to get a larger picture while driving by increasing the distance I see around the car.

Same with me. The Nuvi gets me around town and to the parking and a hand held unit gets us the rest of the way.

To answer the OP's question, I've never seen processor specs listed by Garmin.

I currently have a Nuvi 650 and it works well. I have the alert distance set about 1500 meters. I would like to expand that, but if I go higher, the processor can't handle it. I was wondering if some of the newer models can handle this better. I cant find any specs on the processors on them.

What do you mean the processor can't handle it? I have a 200w and routinely set the alert distance to .5 mile (2 miles for interstate routes) with no problems

"The 2x5 series got a bump to ~4hz and the 7x5 series got a bump to ~8hz, both up from the long-time standard of 1hz. According to the review, the 8x5 did in fact get a bump up but only up to the 2x5's ~4hz. It may be that the processor is in fact the same speed as the 7x5's but just regulated to the level of the 2x5's to compensate for the voice recognition overhead."

Regarding the 8x5 series. via GPS Passion

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

"The 2x5 series got a bump to ~4hz and the 7x5 series got a bump to ~8hz, both up from the long-time standard of 1hz. According to the review, the 8x5 did in fact get a bump up but only up to the 2x5's ~4hz. It may be that the processor is in fact the same speed as the 7x5's but just regulated to the level of the 2x5's to compensate for the voice recognition overhead."

Regarding the 8x5 series. via GPS Passion