Rate the caches

Carla6

I live in an area where I have exhausted the local caches but don't get much of a chance to go out of town. When I do go out of town I want to visit the most interesting, fun, memorable caches. But it is really hard to determine which they are without a lot of effort. I am really not interested in stopping at boring old stops along the highway or bush areas where you have to pick through all the undergrowth at the edge of the parking area to find a litlle cache. Don't you hate that when you drive for ages to get somewhere that you need to start searching but it's a typical place that a non cahcer would stop to go for a pee...so to speak. Anyway, if there was an easy way for people to rate caches then on the rare trip to an area I could say do a search and only download all the 4 and 5 star rated caches......has anyone else been thinking along the same lines or am I missing something? Does anyone who has done lots of caches and have some time already got a bookmarked list ? Love to hear from you. Carla

I think I'd pass on a rating system as well.

What is a crappy cache to some cachers could be the next ones 5-Star. Geocaching is a lot of different things to a lot of very different people. As such a compiled rating on a cache might be missleading at best, depending on the various viewpoints and caching perspectives of those who have rated the cache.

Carla,

Welcome to the cause. We greatly appreciate your comments on the rating system. If you went to the link GCVote that was a thread we opened. Thanks for your support in this cause. Hopefully others will join us to convince Groundspeak of the validity of this request.

Here's hoping,

JCrew 405

Carla,

Welcome to the cause. We greatly appreciate your comments on the rating system. If you went to the link GCVote that was a thread we opened. Thanks for your support in this cause. Hopefully others will join us to convince Groundspeak of the validity of this request.

Here's hoping,

JCrew 405

TPTB said that a "Reward" system would be introduced with the 2.0 version of the website, but we never saw it, so I'm guessing that it's either still in development or it got shelved for some reason. Your guess is as good as mine....

I personally would like to see a rating system. The folks that don't want one are probably just worried that their caches won't get rated very high.

A 1 to 5 star rating is just too simplistic. A very few caches might get a 5 rating but I'll bet the vast majority will be between 2.5 and 3.5 - and a few others around 1. the rating will only reflect the conditions of the cache at a point in time - not how it is right now, seasonal adjustments would not be reflected. The rating will be used againist some cachers. It has (at least) the potential of creating geo-trash. It won't tell us very much about very many actual caches as they sit at the moment.

I'd like to see some form of ratings but something more complex. I have long subscribed to a slight variation of Markwells rating idea.

I think I'd pass on a rating system as well.

What is a crappy cache to some cachers could be the next ones 5-Star. Geocaching is a lot of different things to a lot of very different people. As such a compiled rating on a cache might be missleading at best, depending on the various viewpoints and caching perspectives of those who have rated the cache.

Just quoted since you have stated my opinion more eloquently then I.

I have to agree that any simple and subjective rating system is inherently flawed, I don't have a problem with there being one if TPTB decide to go that way.

I would not use one either for rating or for selection, but if some folks want to rely on them, fine by me. The rest of us can ignore them, go cachin', and decide how we like them for ourselves.

A rating system is a good idea. A scale of 1-5 where (subjective) scores average out, is not.

A better system is to use "positive" rewards only. For every 20 caches you find, you can award a star to a cache you like.

Stars will accumulate for the better caches out there. "Better" for any reason, yes.

We have such a system here in NL and it works great. I'm never disappointed whenever I find a cache with 5 stars or more.