Ammo can or Film cannister...

I'm just curious... which of those two containers... an ammo can or a film cannister, can hold the most swag? Any opinions?

OK. I'm not detecting any of Briansnat's caution words:

Your best bet is to avoid any thread that mentions "micro", "logging", "lamp post", "cemetery", "numbers" in the title or starts with "Why do people...."

But I'm still sensing some sort of tripwire here. Perhaps the "film cannister" becomes a micro? or the ammo can is really in a cemetery? Or someone is being set up to mention the word lamp post? Hmmmm. Definitely a difficulty 4 post. (Doesn't require special equipment, but is sneaky nonetheless.)

Carolyn

I'm just curious... which of those two containers... an ammo can or a film cannister, can hold the most swag? Any opinions?

Your best bet is to avoid any thread that mentions "micro", "logging", "lamp post", "cemetery", "numbers" in the title or starts with "Why do people...."

But I'm still sensing some sort of tripwire here. Perhaps the "film cannister" becomes a micro? or the ammo can is really in a cemetery? Or someone is being set up to mention the word lamp post? Hmmmm. Definitely a difficulty 4 post. (Doesn't require special equipment, but is sneaky nonetheless.)

Carolyn

I literally laughed out loud at that :) Thanks for the levity!

I am thinking it is Friday evening and you have been nipping at the Sherry. :D

Either that or your brain broke from your recent debating with KBI. :)

I once found an "ammo can" that was small enough to fit inside of a 35mm film can. Your question needs to be more clearly defined before it can be properly answered.

I once found an "ammo can" that was small enough to fit inside of a 35mm film can.

I've got one of those that went missing was Wrastro'd, then archived, and then was found over a year later by a cacher that DNF'd the cache that replaced mine.

As to your other observations... yes. On all counts.

[edited to use correct term for "went missing"]

Edited by knowschad

I once found an "ammo can" that was small enough to fit inside of a 35mm film can.

I've got one of those that went missing was Wrastro'd, then archived, and then was found over a year later by a cacher that DNF'd the cache that replaced mine.

As to your other observations... yes. On all counts.

[edited to use correct term for "went missing"]

:)

I have an ammo can that can fit another ammo can inside.

You have not stated enough variables. Size and shape of film cannister and size and shape of ammo can.

What about size and shape of swag?

Swag is not a variable since we would assume you are comparing apples to apples in the swag dept. Otherwise you would have defined more terms for SWAG. One must conclude that SWAG is a unit of measure. Only the container would be the variable.

You have not stated enough variables. Size and shape of film cannister and size and shape of ammo can.

Swag is not a variable since we would assume you are comparing apples to apples in the swag dept. Otherwise you would have defined more terms for SWAG. One must conclude that SWAG is a unit of measure. Only the container would be the variable.

That is your assumption, not mine.

And what about the log book and pen/pencil?

What about them?

Not merely an assumption. A logical fact. While you defined 2 variables for containers, you did not define more than one variable of swag.

Unless you were speaking some new form of English, the constants are "container" (derived by two examples of containers and the apparant inflection of capacity of said containers) and "swag".

One would then conclude that any given swag would have one mass and volume and would fit into either type container with a set value.

I could do this all night but pointless arguments are as fun as multiple LPC and GRC in one run

Edited by bittsen

The answer is: Neither.

Neither an ammo can nor a film canister can "hold" swag. Swag, given enough time (and it doesn’t take long) always leaks away. Set one of each out in public places, stock them full of booty, post their coords on the Internet, and within a year they’ll both be empty.

What about them?

Not merely an assumption. A logical fact. While you defined 2 variables for containers, you did not define more than one variable of swag.

Unless you were speaking some new form of English, the constants are "container" (derived by two examples of containers and the apparant inflection of capacity of said containers) and "swag".

One would then conclude that any given swag would have one mass and volume and would fit into either type container with a set value.

I could do this all night but pointless arguments are as fun as multiple LPC and GRC in one run

Would you mind elaborating on all of that, please?

It really depends on how big the log is....

That reminds me of a question... Is it OK to delete bad logs if they are too short, or are used for challenges? I apologize if this topic has already been covered in the forums, but when I searched for the terms "delete" "log" and "challenge" I kept getting an overload error.

Thank you in advance for your helpful replies :)

Neither an ammo can nor a film canister can "hold" swag. Swag, given enough time (and it doesn’t take long) always leaks away. Set one of each out in public places, stock them full of booty, post their coords on the Internet, and within a year they’ll both be empty.

That is only true because film cannisters are not large enough to contain golf balls, is it not? However, if I am understanding Bittsen correctly (and I'm sure that I am not) golf balls can be of an infinite number of sizes, regardless of the day of the week.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on how big the log is....

That reminds me of a question... Is it OK to delete bad logs if they are too short, or are used for challenges? I apologize if this topic has already been covered in the forums, but when I searched for the terms "delete" "log" and "challenge" I kept getting an overload error.

Thank you in advance for your helpful replies :)

That TOTALLY depends, my friend. Totally.

The answer is clearly a film canister filled with film because a picture is worth a thousand swag.

I love this! Thank you for expanding my thought process. I have no idea if this is what Chad's acquaintance had in mind but I think it is brilliant. But then most ammo cans could hold many film canisters and the associated film. :)

Wait, what size is the swag? And is it the same swag in each container? What if one container was muggled?

That is only true because film cannisters are not large enough to contain golf balls, is it not? However, if I am understanding Bittsen correctly (and I'm sure that I am not) golf balls can be of an infinite number of sizes, regardless of the day of the week.

Ah, now that you are defining "SWAG" as a golf ball, I can assure you that there are ammo cans that cannot hold a golfball and film cannisters that can hold a golfball.

• Upvote 1

Carolyn

Dang that girl is funny. I hope she sticks around.

Good work, Carolyn. Sounds like you've got this here forum thang figgered out.

opinions?The answer is: Neither.

Neither an ammo can nor a film canister can "hold" swag.

Sorry... I totally missed this point of your mastery of semantics. Please feel free to substitute the word "contains" for "holds". I feel so inadequate when chosing my words for you guys! Geeze, you're good.

Edited by knowschad

You are forgetting to factor in the curvature of space and what about dark matter? How much dark matter can be stuffed into either container?

Bruce

You are forgetting to factor in the curvature of space and what about dark matter? How much dark matter can be stuffed into either container?

Bruce

Bruce... that is WAY over MY head. We'll just have to wait for one of the other, more qualified members to address something as deep as that. Wow!! My head spins. Bittsen? KBI? Got input here? I need help.

Edited by knowschad

I happen to own a micro cache that utilizes a seven-dimensional film canister.

Advantages:

• Its swag capacity is infinite. (Guess that settles that.)
  • No need for any covering or camouflage. Just give it a slight push along the 6th dimension and it totally disappears from view.
  • If you prefer camouflage: Depending on which of the seven axes you rotate it through you can angle it to look like a bird house, an electrical box, a 55-gal drum ... or an aircraft carrier. Or all four at the same time.
  • It passes through alternate planes, volumes and timelines simultaneously ... which means that, eventually, everybody gets to log a First To Find.

Disadvantages:

• It’s a bitch getting the lid closed.
  • To find it with a GPS you have to enter the latitude, longitude, altitude, timeitude, sideitude, diagitude and rounditude.
  • It passes through alternate universes where those idiots are always totally fumbling the tracking of Travel Bugs.
  • The mathematical symbols and equations which describe of its true location can’t be encoded into a ROT-13 hint, at least not family-friendly.
  • The official Groundspeak Seven-Dimensional Film Canister Geocache Decal can’t be shipped via UPS Ground anymore because they kept losing trucks.
  • It’s always in the submission queue, AND already listed, AND archived – all at the same time.
  • It’s not waterproof. (Like, duh, it's a film canister.)
  • No matter what other three-dimensional space it occupies, for some reason it also always appears to be rolling around in the back of Clan Riffster’s pickup truck. (Come to think of it, I think that’s actually an advantage. :) )

Advantages:

• No need for any covering or camouflage. Just give it a slight push along the 6th dimension and it totally disappears from view.
  • If you prefer camouflage: Depending on which of the seven axes you rotate it through you can angle it to look like a bird house, an electrical box, a 55-gal drum ... or an aircraft carrier. Or all four at the same time.
  • It passes through alternate planes, volumes and timelines simultaneously ... which means that, eventually, everybody gets to log a First To Find.

Disadvantages:

• To find it with a GPS you have to enter the latitude, longitude, altitude, timeitude, sideitude, diagitude and rounditude.
  • It passes through alternate universes where those idiots are always totally fumbling the tracking of Travel Bugs.
  • The mathematical symbols and equations which describe of its true location can’t be encoded into a ROT-13 hint, at least not family-friendly.
  • The official Groundspeak Seven-Dimensional Film Canister Geocache Decal can’t be shipped via UPS Ground anymore because they kept losing trucks.
  • It’s always in the submission queue, AND already listed, AND archived – all at the same time.
  • No matter what other three-dimensional space it occupies, for some reason it also always appears to be rolling around in the back of Clan Riffster’s pickup truck. (Come to think of it, I think that’s actually an advantage. :) )

:D Sweet. How can I try to figure out when it might be somewhere near me so I can log it?

• Upvote 1

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

You are one warped puppy.

That was a compliment

(snip)

To find it with a GPS you have to enter the latitude, longitude, altitude, timeitude, sideitude, diagitude and rounditude.

(snip)

I think I tried to find this one... Does anyone else have problems getting a good diagitude reading on an eTrex - or do you know if they have addressed this in the new Oregons?

I think I tried to find this one... Does anyone else have problems getting a good diagitude reading on an eTrex - or do you know if they have addressed this in the new Oregons?

You'll need to send a query via snail mail to 7-D Garmin.

Address it to the intersection of New Oregon, Old York, Alternate Kentucky, Utah Prime and West Dakota.

You'll need to send a query via snail mail to 7-D Garmin.

Address it to the intersection of New Oregon, Old York, Alternate Kentucky, Utah Prime and West Dakota.

By the way, KBI, how did you ever get that thing past the 528' guideline?

By the way, KBI, how did you ever get that thing past the 528' guideline?

Ahhh, but that’s the beauty, you see, of seven dimensions. :)

When a wire or a pipeline is full (one dimension), you simply move sideways into the second dimension and you build a parallel line.

When a parking lot is full (two dimensions), you move up or down into the third dimension and you build a parking deck.

Accordingly, when your local world is full of geocaches, (three dimensions) you simply grab yourself a supply of my seven-dimensional film canisters and you start stacking them "athwart" each other. (Sort of. I’m still working on my higher-dimensional prepositions.) As long as they’re at least 528' away from each other in any one direction – longitudinally, timeitudinaly, diagitudinally, whatever – they’ll be far enough apart not to be mistaken for each other. Easy!

(Edit to add: I’m not really supposed to say anything, but be looking for a new PQ feature to be announced very soon: Caches Along a Complex n-Dimensional Quantum String. Not available to mere Premium Members, of course. And you didn’t hear it from me. Shh.)

Edited by KBI

:) Sweet. How can I try to figure out when it might be somewhere near me so I can log it?

Yeah, I found that one next month, but it wasn't there (probably Wrastro'd) so I'm planning on trying again yesterday or the day before.

I had the same problem when I went to replace the Möbius log sheet the other day. I couldn't find my own dadgum cache. I figure I must have fat-fingered the timitude coordinate. Maybe you did as well. It's a common mistake.

Don’t feel bad; once you finally get there it’ll be almost like exactly like your DNF never even happened.

a typical film canister can hold a few thousand grains of sand.. but an Ammo box? well you can only hold a brick - maybe two in there. You can get far more trades out of the film canister.

:) Sweet. How can I try to figure out when it might be somewhere near me so I can log it?

Yeah, I found that one next month, but it wasn't there (probably Wrastro'd) so I'm planning on trying again yesterday or the day before.

I had the same problem when I went to replace the Möbius log sheet the other day. I couldn't find my own dadgum cache. I figure I must have fat-fingered the timitude coordinate. Maybe you did as well. It's a common mistake.

That happens but it's usuaully after a combination of getting older, and searching for more P&Gs instead of taking advantage of the exercise provided by a long hike in the woods. This inevitably leads to a grand increase in the rounditude coordinate.

Dang, KBI, you're really letting the cat out o' the bag, dontcha think?

:) not that I'd know anything about beta testing certain features. Too dumb I guess to figure out the waypoints tool for all those dimensions. The timeitude conversions cross me up every time. That and trying to work on the archived/published listing while it's on the review queue. Seems like the reviewer's requests for dimensional verification and my responses annihilate each other in passing every time, past time, forward time, now time.

On a happier note, the back of Riffster's pickup is a friendly place. I've seen home made beer back there.

A guaranteed smiley in any number of space time continua.

I actually double checked to see if I wandered into the "Off Topic" forum by mistake.

Yes, this is in the "Off Topic" forum. Or, is it....??? :)

or was it? or will it be?

oohOOOOHHHooohhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I found an invisible ammo box while caching today. No, it was not hyper-dimensional, but it was right there, yet I couldn't, for the life of me, see it.

Given that a SWAG* is always the same size** I'd say the film can wins as more SWAGs are/can be used to find it***, as there is only one SWAG for an ammo can (under the pile of sticks).

*SWAG: Silly Wild A** Guess

**Not really true, it depends on the size of the brain, which generally only an autopsy will confirm, but those tend to shorten the number caches the testee will then find, thereby limiting the samples of SWAG that brain can produce, hence making the experiment less accurate. QED.

***This is, of course, not counting the 7D film cans. The number of SWAGs need for them approaches the square root of -1 which nulifies the need for SWAGs.

Given that a SWAG* is always the same size** I'd say the film can wins as more SWAGs are/can be used to find it***, as there is only one SWAG for an ammo can (under the pile of sticks).

*SWAG: Silly Wild A** Guess

**Not really true, it depends on the size of the brain, which generally only an autopsy will confirm, but those tend to shorten the number caches the testee will then find, thereby limiting the samples of SWAG that brain can produce, hence making the experiment less accurate. QED.

***This is, of course, not counting the 7D film cans. The number of SWAGs need for them approaches the square root of -1 which nulifies the need for SWAGs.

Actually, according to our beloved Wikipedia, SWAG only has 8 definitions, and none of them have anything to do with geocaching:

Swag may refer to:

Swag (album), a 2002 rock album

Swag (bedroll), an Australian waterproof bedroll

SWAG (military unit), an elite unit of the Philippine Navy

Swag (motif), an architectural element

Swag (novel), a 1976 crime novel

SWAG (TV series), a United Kingdom reality television series

"Swag" (Ugly Betty episode), the eleventh episode of the television series Ugly Betty

Therefore, I think that its safe to conclude that swag really does come in multiple sizes, but we (as humans and as cachers) change size in relation to said swag, which only serves to make all swag (regardless of definition) APPEAR to always be the same size.

Beyond that observation, I'd have to say that the amount of SWAG that can fit into either type of cache may well actually be a fractal quantity, measurable only by the size of one's ruler*. After all, how long, really, IS the coast of England?

[edit to add:]

* The mods (OK, Keystone, but he asked me not to tell) said that we are NOT going to discuss the size of one's fractal ruler here.

Edited by knowschad