Designating a cache as a TB/coin 'portal' to another state?

Hakali

As I'm closing in on Cache #100, I'm preparing for my first hide. I've selected a local landmark that has a cool story behind it, and I've obtained the property owner's enthusiastic permission. I'm headed over this weekend to scout the location and find the best possible hide location.

Turns out I have a geocaching buddy who lives in Michigan. I thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if folks could use my cache to drop off their TBs/coins and once a month I'd mail them to Michigan for reseeding?" I'd heard about Stargate caches, but I'm within the 500 mile range of the NorCal Stargate.

If you wanted your TB/coin to head to Michigan, you'd stick a note in the log for the cache and I'd go collect the item for mailing. Other coins/TBs would stay put for locals.

Has this proved feasible in the past? What do you call this kind of cache....a TB hotel, or a wormhole, a portal, or what?

Advice?

Not too long ago someone decided to place one of my coins in a cache that was designed to move bugs and coins to a country in Europe. My coin had a specific mission to travel from cache to cache in Washington. I was not a happy camper just then. I posted notes on the cache page and on the bug page that I did not want the coin to go over seas. Another local cacher retrieved it and set it back on its way.

My point is that you should check with the bug or coin owner before ever moving the trackable in this manner.

If the owner is good with it then go for it. Otherwise just keep them trackables moving.

Not too long ago someone decided to place one of my coins in a cache that was designed to move bugs and coins to a country in Europe. My coin had a specific mission to travel from cache to cache in Washington. I was not a happy camper just then. I posted notes on the cache page and on the bug page that I did not want the coin to go over seas. Another local cacher retrieved it and set it back on its way.

My point is that you should check with the bug or coin owner before ever moving the trackable in this manner.

If the owner is good with it then go for it. Otherwise just keep them trackables moving.

So apparently I was unclear in the original post.

The concept was *not* that *all* coins/bugs would go to Michigan. It would be an *option*, that if the owner wanted them to go to Michigan they mention this when they log the cache, or attach a note to their item that they wanted it to travel east. Otherwise the coins/bugs would stay put for the locals. I was even pondering a container-within-a-cache, labeled "TO MICHIGAN", and if you wanted to travel, you popped your trackable into that container.

I had a TB that teleported to Germany out of Seattle. It was with my permission, as a friend of mine placed it in the teleport cache and noted in the log that the bug wished to take the trip. I thought (and still think) it was a cool concept and it worked for my bug, since the TB's mission was to fly over the worlds oceans. The only thing that went "wrong" with the exchange was that they teleported the bug back to Seattle. Not a big deal but I wouldn't have minded it staying overseas.

While I can see the flipside of the equation that the owner could mail the bug himself if he wanted it to cross the country in one jump, I still think with the owners permission, these caches can serve a bug well.

Bruce