Forum Performance?

solo63137

I’m sure you all (Groundspeak, Geocaching.com, etc..) are getting tired of hearing about it, but we are also getting tired of dealing with it…

I only get a few times a day to hit the site check for new messages and reply to them or other ones that I’m taking part in and I spend more time hitting refresh or some other trick of the day, waiting for this to work right…

It’s really taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the sport…

Everyone made such a big deal out of the Geomate JR. saying it would destroy this sport/community as it was not forcing newcomers to take part in the site (posting/logging. Etc..)

With the performance and dependability of the site like this, if the happen to stop by and check it out, do you think they or anyone else would stay long???

To my knowledge there’s not been much official about this other than someone saying stop complaining, we know there’s a problem, something might be coming soon…

I really love coming to the site and reading all the new posts on adventures and tips, but its getting really old… I would imagine there are plenty of other people who are tiring of this as well…

Is there an ETA on when this might be fixed???

***Edit*** Of ironically adding fuel to the fire in trying to post this, I got several time outs and a few of these….

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111 ***Edit***

How does the forum not working the way you want it to take away from the sport of geocaching?

Geocaching isn't the forums...it's being outside and finding caches.

Are you saying that if the forums went away completely that you would stop caching or that it would be less fun for you?

Actually - the folks up at HQ have stated rather clearly that new forum software is forthcoming - they even stated the software title. They even apologized for performance issues.

But they give no indication when it is forthcoming. According to many religions, the end of the world is forthcoming too.

The OP asked for some sort of a time estimate. He already knew it is forthcoming.

Edit: I got the performance time out while attempting to enter this post.

Edited by Tequila

Actually - the folks up at HQ have stated rather clearly that new forum software is forthcoming - they even stated the software title. They even apologized for performance issues.

But they give no indication when it is forthcoming. According to many religions, the end of the world is forthcoming too.

The OP asked for some sort of a time estimate. He already knew it is forthcoming.

At this point I would settle for a date for a date. It has been acknowledged and commented on for six months, at least.

How does the forum not working the way you want it to take away from the sport of geocaching?

Are you saying that if the forums went away completely that you would stop caching or that it would be less fun for you?

Yes it would be less fun...

It doesn't matter what I'm saying now does it...

Because someone will feel the need to argue it...

I don't know many people (in person) that give two rips about geocaching other than on here, so yes, I look forward to and enjoy using this forum...

This forum ""Can"" be a great place to get tips, new info, and share experiences about Geocaching, so yes it would be less fun... To me... Maybe not to you...

I don't know many people (in person) that give two rips about geocaching other than on here, so yes, I look forward to and enjoy using this forum...

This forum ""Can"" be a great place to get tips, new info, and share experiences about Geocaching, so yes it would be less fun... To me... Maybe not to you...

I wouldn't worry about it. Its always the same 2 people making every post for info into a negative, turn us all against each other type of thing and defending Groundspeak to the hilt. Asking for an update or info on a long known issue must be against 'forum rules'. I'd like to know some stuff about forum software but won't ask publicly because the post will turn into a mud throwing contest.

It does matter what you say and I wasn't trying to argue, I was just trying to make sure I understood your opinion because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Can there be good information here? Yes, sometimes...but mostly I see the main forums as a place for the (adjective self deleted) masses to gripe about their particular subject of the day.

I guess I know more people in person that do cache than don't and maybe that's unusual...I don't know...but I'd much rather be out finding the caches.

To each their own I guess.

It does matter what you say and I wasn't trying to argue, I was just trying to make sure I understood your opinion because it doesn't make any sense to me.

You did choose to phrase it in a provocative fashion, however. I think it is valid that participating in the geocaching forums is an extension of geocaching. I don't see the OP threatening geocide if the problem is not fixed.

..but I'd much rather be out finding the caches.

Yet you still find time to be a very active participant in the forums. Surely you're not doing it as a form of self flagellation? So I assume you enjoy it as well. You may see it as separate and distinct from geocaching, that's fair. But the fact that others see it differently is, I feel, a valid viewpoint as well.

Add me to the list as another would appreciate some updates regarding forum upgrade.

I too would like an update.

However, the problem with giving an ETA, is if you miss it (and anyone in IT will tell you ETA's often get missed) everyone will be all over you for missing it.

I am quite concerned that GS has themselves spread too thin. Right now there are performance issues with the main site (gc.com), problems with the forums, problems with the new release of the iPhone application, a long overdue update to the Wherigo builder/player (I know this is low priority for most but it is a GS product nonetheless) etc.

No one is gonna commit geocide over the forums but the OP's comments are valid and deserve a response.

It took me eight timeouts to access this forum (much less this message) earlier this afternoon. That was at least 20 minute... more like 1/2 hour I believe, but I didn't check the clock at first.

Yes, we've been told that there will be new software. I was not aware that they told us what software, but "forthcoming" is hardly the word that comes to my mind. Mushroom policy is more the way it seems to me. How about some periodic updates? I do not expect a public ETA... that would be a disaster if they failed to meet it, which could happen for any of a number of reasons. But the frustration level here is obviously rising.

It took me eight timeouts to access this forum (much less this message) earlier this afternoon. That was at least 20 minute... more like 1/2 hour I believe, but I didn't check the clock at first.

Yes, we've been told that there will be new software. I was not aware that they told us what software, but "forthcoming" is hardly the word that comes to my mind. Mushroom policy is more the way it seems to me. How about some periodic updates? I do not expect a public ETA... that would be a disaster if they failed to meet it, which could happen for any of a number of reasons. But the frustration level here is obviously rising.

Ok - I looked back - in April Mou10Bike stated that "Community Server" would be the new platform and it would be a few months

Also in April - OpinioNate - mentioned "Community Server" - noted the Waymarking forum runs on it and said work would begin "After the next release" to get the new Forums up

In May - it was mentioned the switch to Community would take some time but would be "worked on soon"

All a little vague but my expectation from those comments is that it is probably being at least planned if not being worked on by now and we will see them up sometime in july or August. I'm just guessing though and also being vague.

20 Minutes is a very long time - I often just open a new browser tab and re- enter the forums - works about 75% of the time and gets me in within 2 or 3 minutes tops. Never take longer than 5 or 6 minutes for me though.

I'm curious. Why do you think someone official making a post in the forum would make things better?There have been several posts saying that the problem is being worked on. Would the forum perform better if they posted a message once a week saying they were working on it. It is what it is and more information won't change that.

Team Taran

Groundspeak always seems to miss deadlines, so I can understand the reluctance to put a date out there.

Where's the cache ratings system by the way? I remember being told that it was going to be put out with the 2.0 release.. The part that bugs me is they say one thing and then do another, but never explain why they didn't do what they said they were going to do originally. I'm sure they've got a good reason for scrappin' it, but apparently it's not important enough to tell the people who pay the bills.

It all points to issues in leadership and communication from the top...

I'm curious. Why do you think someone official making a post in the forum would make things better?There have been several posts saying that the problem is being worked on. Would the forum perform better if they posted a message once a week saying they were working on it. It is what it is and more information won't change that.

It certainly will not make things go any faster. It will, however, promote understanding, patience and forgiveness if done properly. It's all about PR. And to borrow a phrase from knowschad, Mushroom Policy is not great PR.

I posted this just seven days ago in another topic. Some who are posting in this topic also posted in that topic and are regular forum posters.

I know you guys read the forums. Groundspeak is responding.

No, it's not you. The forums are choking on the traffic we get and that is why you see errors all the time. It's a good idea to check that your post went through or not (even if you get an error) before you resubmit.

We're actively working on a replacement for the forum software, which we hope to release some time in the next couple months. I apologize to everyone for the forum performance - it affects me as well so I know it's annoying.

I can only repeat what has been said already. We're working on new forum software to address these issues. Posting about it unfortunately won't make it happen any faster. I'm sorry!

We know Duke. The forum is not built to handle a community of this size so we're looking at replacing it with Community Server. After the next release we will begin development of the new forum.

In the meantime, it's helpful to remember that seeing the error in your screenshot, in most cases, does not mean your post didn't go through. You should return to the thread and check to see if what you posted was successful before re-posting. This is the cause of all the double posting we've seen lately.

Nate said it would possibly be a couple of months a couple of weeks ago. It seems were in this until sometime in August or September. Hopefully it won't go beyond that. Who knows.

As I have said before, some just love to leap at these topics and sling mud. It always seem to be the same few. It is what it is.

I also experience the same issues with the forums, just as Nate does as he mentions. It is frustrating, but I can always do something else in another window. I've got eight tabs going, Windows Movie Maker and email. Back to making movies for me.

Groundspeak always seems to miss deadlines, so I can understand the reluctance to put a date out there.

Where's the cache ratings system by the way? I remember being told that it was going to be put out with the 2.0 release.. The part that bugs me is they say one thing and then do another, but never explain why they didn't do what they said they were going to do originally. I'm sure they've got a good reason for scrappin' it, but apparently it's not important enough to tell the people who pay the bills.

It all points to issues in leadership and communication from the top...

Sounds like a typical government to me. :)

OT: We all experience the same problems and it is frustrating. I pretty much grin and bear it while pretending to do something productive instead of reading the forums. I am confident the replacement software will eventually be in place, will be a great improvement, and some people will find things to complain about how it runs.

It is frustrating, but I can always do something else in another window. I've got eight tabs going, Windows Movie Maker and email. Back to making movies for me.

If I'm at home, I usually play a game of Solitaire while waiting for the forums to come back up. I've gotten pretty good at 4 Suit Spider.

Maybe some IT people or forum techies out there can explain how easy/hard it is to switch forums?

What is involved?

Why does it take so long? Or should it?

Explain the hurdles that Groundspeak is facing or could be facing.

Seems to me, an un-forum techie person, that 6 months already talked about moving plus another 2-3 months from now from a possible move is just to long. Maybe it isn't.

Maybe some IT people or forum techies out there can explain how easy/hard it is to switch forums?

What is involved?

Seems to me, an un-forum techie person, that 6 months already talked about moving plus another 2-3 months from now from a possible move is just to long. Maybe it isn't.

I think my post # 10 is a good stab at explaining it. They have too many irons in the fire. And every iron is needed.

As keystone has decided to to close my topice insted of merging it I thought I might post it here as I was redirected to here:

I have just come accross this: Screan capture of issue.

I havn't seen it before, if it is related to other issues pease merege the topic.

Thanks

knowschad's responce:

That is hardly new, but thanks for reporting it. That, and other issues with the forums are being discussed in other threads like this one and this one and probably a few others. You are not alone. A lot of us are getting very frustrated by the problems with the forums. Groundspeak has publically announced that they are looking into a software upgrade, but that's about all we know at this time.

My responce, not knowing it was part of the same issue:

Yep list of some of the threads Ihave participated in, I know they are working on that issue I just didnt relise thise was the same one - sorry please merge if you feel it neccersery.

Thread wehre I participated

Thread where I have also metiond it

and my first known posting about it

I did start a topic once before I kew it was known but I can't seem to find it now.

P.S - the fourm issue genraly is not new to me bt this is and fourm probs seem to happning more often

If it is part of the same issue please merde with the other topics.

Also an update would be apprecated if thats ok?

Edited for clarity - I hope.

followed by Keystones closeing of the topic and recomendation:

Closing duplicate thread. Thanks for the report.

Edit as it took a while for me to sort out the messed up qoutes as well as being a pain to put the links back in.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

As kestone has decided to to close my topice isted of merging it I thought I might post it here as I was redirected to here:

I havn't seen it before, if it is related to other issues pease merege the topic.

Thanks

Post by: knowschad

Thanks

That is hardly new, but thanks for reporting it. That, and other issues with the forums are being discussed in other threads like this one and this one and probably a few others. You are not alone. A lot of us are getting very frustrated by the problems with the forums. Groundspeak has publically announced that they are looking into a software upgrade, but that's about all we know at this time.

My responce, not knowing it was part of the same issue:

Yep list of some of the threads Ihave participated in, I know they are working on that issue I just didnt relise thise was the same one - sorry please merge if you feel it neccersery.

Thread wehre I participated

Thread where I have also metiond it

and my first known posting about it

I did start a topic once before I kew it was known but I can't seem to find it now.

P.S - the fourm issue genraly is not new to me bt this is and fourm probs seem to happning more often

If it is part of the same issue please merde with the other topics.

Also an update would be apprecated if thats ok?

Edited for clarity - I hope.

followed by Keystones closer and recomendation:

Closing duplicate thread. Thanks for the report.

So I now relise this is part of the same issue but have wanted to post here as I was informed that it was a "duplicate post" so it seemed right and proper to ask my questions here.

There are three or four different error messages that you might get from time to time, but all are essentially different manifestations of the same problem. Again, thanks for reporting it... can't hurt.

What is involved?

Well it has been a really long time since I did a forum swap but here is what I remember struggling with.

Importing 6 years worth of post without loosing any post. Also links to other post need to be fixed so they don't point to the old forums.

New and different features will cause outrage from forums users, ie "I can't search like I use to", "My hand created screen scrapper doesn't work because this isn't like this" "Why did you take this function away" and on and on and on.

Creating a method for the posters name being a link back to the non forum software Groundspeak profile could be difficult. Also the ID number of users needs to be imported the same, some importing services purge unused ID's while importing. This would be a disaster they way the forums integrate with the Groundspeak/geocaching/Waymarking sites.

Also little things that you would think would be unimportant cause angst. Does anyone remember when this forum changed the color of the backgrounds?

What is involved?

Well it has been a really long time since I did a forum swap but here is what I remember struggling with.

Importing 6 years worth of post without loosing any post. Also links to other post need to be fixed so they don't point to the old forums.

New and different features will cause outrage from forums users, ie "I can't search like I use to", "My hand created screen scrapper doesn't work because this isn't like this" "Why did you take this function away" and on and on and on.

Creating a method for the posters name being a link back to the non forum software Groundspeak profile could be difficult. Also the ID number of users needs to be imported the same, some importing services purge unused ID's while importing. This would be a disaster they way the forums integrate with the Groundspeak/geocaching/Waymarking sites.

Also little things that you would think would be unimportant cause angst. Does anyone remember when this forum changed the color of the backgrounds?

Oh I do understand prehaps in laymans terms that it is a complicated process , I just didn't relise this was part of the same problem and I was informed that there was allready a post about it.

As it transires it is just the same issue and (as it is) I'm just after an update as to the progress of the new softtware that has been metiond - I would like to reiterate thate I did not know that the issue I reported was part of the same problem/ issue at the time.

Edit clarity and I think the batterys on my keyboard might need changing

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I can't even get in to log my finds today....it just sits there saying "Waiting".

This thread is about the forum performance, not the main geocaching site (there is another running thread here somewhere about that, however).

That said, yeah, I've been having problems getting in to geocaching.com this afternoon, as well.

The upgrade to the forum software is progressing in the first stages and will yet continue for some time. As much as I'd love to give you an estimate the reasons for not doing so are plain and have been mentioned already in this thread. I'm sorry about that.

So far we have worked on integrating your Geocaching profiles with the forum profiles but it hasn't been easy. There are profile items such as "forum title" that do not have an equivalent in the forum software so a lot of custom code is necessary. That stuff takes time.

Next we'll work on skinning the forum and importing old posts. Signal knows what else is required but I don't. With my limited ability to estimate progress I'd say we're about a quarter of the way to releasing the new forum.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more meat to chew on while we bang this out. I'll reiterate that I completely empathize with you all. It's totally annoying but hang in there and we'll get through it.

The upgrade to the forum software is progressing in the first stages and will yet continue for some time. As much as I'd love to give you an estimate the reasons for not doing so are plain and have been mentioned already in this thread. I'm sorry about that.

So far we have worked on integrating your Geocaching profiles with the forum profiles but it hasn't been easy. There are profile items such as "forum title" that do not have an equivalent in the forum software so a lot of custom code is necessary. That stuff takes time.

Next we'll work on skinning the forum and importing old posts. Signal knows what else is required but I don't. With my limited ability to estimate progress I'd say we're about a quarter of the way to releasing the new forum.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more meat to chew on while we bang this out. I'll reiterate that I completely empathize with you all. It's totally annoying but hang in there and we'll get through it.

Awesome! Thanks very much for a report with specifics. Nate. It helps.

While there is no doubt that a total upgrade is neccessary, in the short term, can you say if anyone has looked at the known IPB bug that has been posted a couple of times as a short term fix? Or does that bug not apply to the version that you're running?

Thank you.

With 30 years of experience in the IT industry, I can tell you from experience that 'custom code' is a big mistake. Makes future upgrades almost impossible.

Good luck.

With just about the same here - I agree!

To me there is no doubt that the quagmire of custom coding between geocaching.com and the forum is the suspect for the poor performance of both. Larger sites using lesser versions of forum software agree, as they work well.

Please PLEASE please keep the forum separate in all ways from the geocaching.com game site. We do not need one profile! One for the game and one for the forum is fine.

In the long run keeping the forum profiles separate would save much time in adding features and updating let alone fixing bugs created by the same.

Plus look how confusing things are now, simple things as adding an avatar generate posts often asking how because of the confusing way it is done.

I am not new to forums, and I am a active member on 3 other forums that use Invision Power Board software. Since this has not been addressed in this thread, is it a issue of to many users logged on at one time? I have noticed that this forum is much more integrated with the Groundspeak.com website than others I have dealt with, and much more cross site information sharing. Would a more simplified forum with less bells and whistles as a band aid fix be possible for the short term until the long term fix is ready? Would that improve forum performance? Would members of the forum be able to deal with this as a temporary fix, to get the performance back to acceptable levels?

Here comes my taxi now...........

Taxi!!!

Edited by RS67Man

I am not new to forums, and I am a active member on 3 other forums that use Invision Power Board software. Since this has not been addressed in this thread, is it a issue of to many users logged on at one time? I have noticed that this forum is much more integrated with the Groundspeak.com website than others I have dealt with, and much more cross site information sharing. Would a more simplified forum with less bells and whistles as a band aid fix be possible for the short term until the long term fix is ready? Would that improve forum performance? Would members of the forum be able to deal with this as a temporary fix, to get the performance back to acceptable levels?

Here comes my taxi now...........

Taxi!!!

If it is going to take some time to have the new software up and running the I would be happy with a tempoary fix like the one you suggested.

Are you going the same way as me.... Do you mind shareing the fare...

With 30 years of experience in the IT industry, I can tell you from experience that 'custom code' is a big mistake. Makes future upgrades almost impossible.

Good luck.

I'm assuming he's talking about the single sign on between geocaching.com and the forums. Some things require a little custom coding for ease of use. I don't know about you, but it would annoy me if I had to sign on twice when coming over from geocaching.com (which I do quite often, especially when I want to check on my recent posts).

Having both running on asp.net will make the job quite a bit easier though.

Good luck.

I'm assuming he's talking about the single sign on between geocaching.com and the forums. Some things require a little custom coding for ease of use. I don't know about you, but it would annoy me if I had to sign on twice when coming over from geocaching.com (which I do quite often, especially when I want to check on my recent posts).

There is no need to log on each time you use each site. That is what cookies are for! Stay logged on.

Good luck.

There is no need to log on each time you use each site. That is what cookies are for! Stay logged on.

Exactly!!!

I noticed that Waymarking no longer shares profile data with geocaching. No reason for the forums to share.

I think everyone would gladly give up some flexibility for improved performance.

My vote is for using off the shelf software and start new. Don't even migrate the existing threads. Take this opportunity to start fresh.

Good luck.

Exactly!!!

I noticed that Waymarking no longer shares profile data with geocaching. No reason for the forums to share.

I think everyone would gladly give up some flexibility for improved performance.

My vote is for using off the shelf software and start new. Don't even migrate the existing threads. Take this opportunity to start fresh.

I'm curious where that assumption came from? Why would custom programming affect the performance? There's some validity to not doing custom programming because of future updates, but causing the performance problems? Not seeing the logic in that....

Thanks Nate. I'll leave it to those who know these things to argue the pluses and minuses of the hows. For me it is great to get something beyond "we know, we're working on it."

Now get back to work! <_<

I mentioned this last week, or the week before, and it was ignored. I mentioned that the new forum software could be up and running in a half a day - easily, that way. The old threads just slow the place down.

I'm curious where that assumption came from? Why would custom programming affect the performance? There's some validity to not doing custom programming because of future updates, but causing the performance problems? Not seeing the logic in that....

I did not mean to imply that custom code would impact performance. Although depending on how it is implemented, performance could be affected.

What I was trying to say is that implementing an off the shelf solution should be faster. And the sooner we get to a new solution, the sooner we are relieved from the existing performance problems.

Thanks, appreciate the update. A small suggestion : maybe a pinned thread in this forum (closed to discussion, updates only)?

With just about the same here - I agree!

With 21 years of IT experience, I will say that custom programming does make it more difficult, depending on the degree of change between versions, but a good comparison program and judicious testing helps a lot. However, I remember when I had to go from a 3rd party .aspx version with custom programming (most of it not done by me or anyone that still worked at the firm) to a .NET version... I simply told my managers, "no way" and somehow ( <_< ) managed to make my point. They haven't customized since.