Showcase of Great Logs

The system seems to have gobbled my actual post. Fortunately, I now hit "CTRL+A, CTRL+C" every time I'm waiting for something to post:

There are a large number of threads devoted to "bad" logs, where "bad" is generally defined as "content-poor" -- those logs containing nothing more than "TNLNSL - TFTC", etc.

I'd like to have a thread about good logs. Post examples of, and links to, logs that have amused and/or impressed you. They do not necessarily have to be long logs, or chock full of photos (tho those are great, too) - I'd love to see examples of short-yet-very-content-rich logs as well as the amazing photojournalism pieces, as a way of showing folks new to Geocaching that you do not, in fact, have to sit down at the computer and spend four hours of photo-editing and typing in order to leave a nice log.

My own contribution is a log by flask, which is pretty short. What makes the log great is its subject matter; this log is a hilarious answer to the type of cache represented by this particular cache.

i came from over here; i've been meaning to come find the williston shopping caches but i just haven't been able to get it together.

no matter. today was just perfect for it, plus i needed to do my grocery shopping. it was a lovely day for a stroll thorough the williston parking lots, scattered showers and all.

and by scattered showers, i mean that it is raining over HERE but not over THERE, given that "here" and there" are two points roughly twenty feet apart.

but wow! i think this is maybe my most favorite parking lot cache ever!

And it's actually the photos that made me really laugh out loud. "Take note of this saucy little number." It's a great lesson: you can be creative about just about anything. : )

Some of the logs I love to read are by Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats there always fun logs heres a few of them

log for In the woods

Log Date: 6/17/2009Shiv'rrr me timb'rrrs if'n this wuz'n one fun cache! [:ph34r:] 'rived home ta find she'd popped up 45 min. earlier, so we grabbed the gear an' dashed ov'rrr. TT were triumphantly drivin' outta the parrrk as we pulled up (congRATs, on the FTF, matey!) No Beard tossed me overboard at the trailhead, an' found moorage. Stepped inta the dark wood, an' meeted two fellers whot gived me the 'pression the place may be a popular rendezvous spot! [:rolleyes:] Luck'ly aye frightened 'em away frum GZ, an' find'd the cache afore the Cap'n find'd me [:rolleyes:] which were arft'rrr RadioFly and Sweetgirrrl were zeroin' in on the tarrrget. 'joy'd a lit'l chinwag, whoilst we logged, and they kindly passed along Cache Agent's [8D] geocoin they picked up Stateside, which we'll drop in a cache dubble quick. Them bugs bin fierce, so we tooked our leave o' the geopals, regrettin' we coulda gives 'em a ride back ta whar they (wished they 'adn't [:D)] ) parked, on accounta we'd bringed the smarrrrtcar. Verrry nice ta meet 'em bof, an' thanks, JD, fer a verrry good time! [^] TNSLL a lucky penny keychain[<_<] tW, fer NB

log for LOng Way Down

Log Date: 6/5/2009Yarrr, jd, 'tis indeedy a loooong way down, if'n ye gots peg legs, as the Cap'n 'n' the lit'l Rat do's, but they dun earned thar Rum t'day bouy comin' 'long! [:rolleyes:] Aye espied a bright, long pencil lyin' on the ground in the open, an' correctly guessed whar the cache wuz snugly tucked; sum nifty swag, whot we 'joy'd seein', but took'd none of. SL L a cell phone cover case, an' tucked the writin' implement back in fer the next visit'rrr. If'n yer unsure whether ye otter venture out ta this un, ye could stop by the Psychic Fair whot's on at the nearby Legion all weekend fer a glimpse at whot the future holds fer ye: a smiley, er a wild tumble, follered by a big splarsh! [:rolleyes:] Lotsa fun either way, t'be sures; thanks, matey![<_<] the Wench, fer NB an' PR 2

Log for Hidden Falls

A luv'rrrly arft'rrrnoon ta visit this fine cache--whot a pleasant place ta visit! Thanks fer bringin' us here, jd, an' thanks, also, ta avenarrr fer the c'rect co-ord's. Cache snug & dry, but pencil bin too big fer box, so the lead were busted when we arrived: sharp'ned/short'ned the pencil, signed log, an' left the lit'l sharp'n'r in the cache fer future use; was interrrestin' ta see thar bin a cuppla visit'rrrs since avenarrrr, whot ain't logged on-line, but seemed ta 'ave enjoyed the cache; no signa travell'rrrs whot's listed as bein' thar; TN L a paira shoelaces an' a Ryerson Lany'rrrrrd. Them ducks is keepin' good watch on yer cache, an' we'da bring'd sum grain if'n we'd know'd they wuz 'spectin' tribute! Sumbuddy hobviously slips 'em corrrn regular-like, an' if'n ye gots a kiddo an' brings a little birrrd seed wiv ye, ye'll surely gits a grrreat pi'ture!

Cheers,

the Wench, fer Captain No Beard

Great subject!

I like (well, most of the time, anyway) to have fun with my logs, even if I didn't have fun with the cache. Three logs for a single LPC where the cache owner hid like 50 LPCs in the same area. Actually, this was one of the Version 2 series of same!! I kid you not.

The cache, for those that are interested: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

My logs:

DNF #1

December 16, 2007 by knowschad (3610 found)

Looked for about an hour. Evil hide.

DnF#2

knowschad couldn't find UM:3 v.2 (Traditional Cache)

Stopped by again for another try after failing miserably earlier in the day. Got hungry, tired, and cold, and decided to claim another DNF and ask the cache owner for a hint. Puhleeeze!! have mercy on me, Doc! I KNOW its there somewhere, but where to look? I'm running out of ideas.

And finally!!

December 16, 2007 by knowschad (3610 found)

Drove all the way home, spent the next hour pouring over the previous finders logs, and finally a light went off... DANGIT!! WHY DIDN'T I CHECK THERE? So, all the way back from SSP to Woodbury and lo-and-behold, praise all that is good, kiss the Blarney Stone... there it was at last!

Doc... you are one evil woman, indeed!

I would like to add that I have really enjoyed reading flask's narratives. When I get up to a multiple cache day again I would like to adopt a similar linking style unless there is objection on the grounds of unoriginality. I found a great cache today with a friend and logged a bunch of photos of petroglyphs... since I've been reading the forums on poor logs, I've really tried to make mine something that the CO or other cachers would like to read :rolleyes: I don't have any great log to contribute but just wanted to say that I applaud a proactive topic like this :D

Maybe a DNF log would be interesting since I don't know of a way to see people's DNFs...

Yes, there are some great logs out there: Some cachers are able to paint great pictures with their words at the end of their caching exploits.

There's a similar thread over on the UK Forum which has some great examples

Iconic logs from the U.K.

I, too, enjoyed reading flask's log, which is 'talking up' a fairly mundane hide. I tried doing a similar thing for a cache in one of the UK's Motorway Mayhem series after a friend (who is the cache owner) commented that his cache only ever got boring logs...

Does this log make you want to visit this cache?

MrsB

One of the best I've ever seen was one from The Leprechauns going after a park and grab in a rest area.

It was quite a story (all made up) with pictures off him camping out and going through a major ordeal to get the cache. It's hilarious.

I'd look for it but I'll be darned if I'm going through his thousands of finds. Maybe he'll be kind enough to post a link.

Great thread! :D

I have had more than my fair share of good logs and pictures on my caches. I feel very lucky to be able to maintain caches in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.....

This is a recent favorite and one of my fondest geocaching memories when I got to hear about it in person a couple days later....

Monkeybrad:

When I first read about this cache a couple of years ago, I knew that I wanted to hunt it, but figured that I would not get the opportunity. So when we were planning our trip to GeoWoodstock I decided to take a look and see just how far away it was and if it were do-able. At first it looked doubtful, but then I decided that if we flew into Reno we could make a big swing and catch this one before heading up to Sacramento. So we began to plan our route based on this cache and I am so glad we did! We headed south out of Reno and did some hunting in the high desert then jumped across the mountains to Lake Tahoe to hunt there and back across the mountains and south on 395 to Mono Lake to hunt the Frogstar, your new cache and this one, all on the first day of our trip. Everything was at least as cool as advertised and we had an absolute blast. Of course it was getting late in the afternoon by the time we arrived at Black Point but we still took our time enjoying the scenery, the awesome drive in to the parking area (luckily rental jeeps can handle anything) and the hike to the top. I will have to admit that the altitude took it's toll on us lowlanders, but we took our time. Once we figured out where we were going we headed into the cracks and had way too much fun exploring, we almost forgot to actually hunt for the cache because we were enjoying the area so much. After locating the very well -hidden cache I tried my luck following the crack on out the other side and made it until I found a hole I was too big to pass through, so I climbed out on top.

This area is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Playing in the cracks was a great adventure that I am sure that none of us will ever forget. This location is exactly the kind of spot that keeps me geocaching and is seriously "what it is all about". If it were not for the game we would never have found this place and our lives would be poorer for it. Thank you so much for taking the time to place and maintain a cache in such a beautiful area and for working to make sure people know about it. To me the incredible locations and the adventures getting there are the true "hidden treasure" of geocaching and with this location we struck the mother lode. My hat is off to you and this incredible cache.

Found with the rest of Team STFU, the gang from Scoot the Frog University, on a whirlwind tour across the Silver and Golden States as part of our GeoWoodstock VI visit from Middle Tennessee.

5f287122-b025-4010-8700-ed7246c11cc6.jpg

Link to the cache page.

Link to the picture gallery.

One of my all time favorites: log by stthomas95 for McCosh Mill Ruins Cache

Found it from the Alabama side! DO NOT COME IN FROM THE ALABAMA SIDE.

If you come in from the Alabama side...this is what happens. You follow your GPS to a paved road and bridge, and your GPS points directly at a logging road telling you the ruins are 1/2 mile away. DO NOT GO DOWN THAT ROAD It takes you to the edge of West Point Lake to a dried bottom. DO NOT STEP INTO THE LAKE BED, AS DRIED AS IT APPEARS. We stepped into mud, and had to rereat to the rocky ledge on the naked banks of the lake.

The rock formations are geological wonders, and, continuing from the Alabama side you must walk over these rocks. DO NOT WALK OVER THESE ROCKS. Some are 8 feet high and six feet wide, and lounges for sun tanning snakes. The first snake you see slivering off the rock into the water will scare you. The second snake you see will make you wonder if there are other snakes around. You will probably want to pick up a stick and carry it in front of you the rest of the way. DO NOT PICK UP A STICK from any pile of sticks washed up on those rocks. We did and found out what REAL snakes do on Sunday afternoons. You can choose at this point to turn back, or decide to suck it up, and continue on. DO NOT SUCK IT UP AND CONTINUE ON. Take your losses and go home.

If you choose to do what we did, you will continue on these beautiful rocks, trying to tell yourself you are having a good time and experiencing something no one else ever gets to experience. Your GPS will indicate you are 534ft from the ruins, but these ruins are across the lake, and the falls, and the slippery rocks.How do you get across? You can wade, swim, or attempt an 8 ft jump over rapids. Wading seems best, because it will wash the mud off your shoes and legs which came from stepping into the dry lake bed. DO NO TRY TO WADE. If the lake bottom is wet and muddy with no water on it, how wet and muddy do you think the lake bottom is with water on top of it? The second alternative is not really an alternative either. The lake is 2 feet deep in most parts, and, you cannot swim in two feet of water. DO NOT TRY TO SWIM IN TWO FEET OF WATER. This leaves the third alternative: Jumping eight feet over the rapids. This entails jumping from one rock to another over running water.

DO NOT TRY TO JUMP ACROSS THE RAPIDS. First of all, unless you are an olympic athlete, you cannot jump eight feet from a standing position. You THINK you can, but you can't. Second, you are jumping UP and and not DOWN, and....well, take my word for it. By God's grace our noisey approach to the ruins caught the attention of a 19 yr old Alabama boy, camping at the ruins since Thursday. After his girl friend put her top on, he responded to us in our plight, trying to yell across the rapids.

DO NOT TRY TO COMMUNICATE BY YELLING ACROSS THE FALLS. You cannot hear, and they cannot hear. Noticing a canoe on the bank I resorted to hand signals and rowing motions. The camper understood. His girlfriend put on some more clothes, he tipped his head towards heaven, finished off a can of something, and jumped in the canoe and rowed toward us. DO NOT STEP INTO A CANOE...CRAWL IN CAREFULLY. Enough said. Our rescuer was an Alabama Tom Sawyer who walked barefooted on rocks, stuck a rusty barbed wire in his foot, and pulled it out, and kept going He grew up around this area, and gave us a barefoot tour, of the whole scene. He walked barefooted through the ruins as if they belonged to him, while we tip toed behind.

Beautiful place. And two of the greatest Alabama kids you could ever hope to meet. They gave us a ride in their truck, back to our car on the Alabama side. The ruins are open 24/7. Our Alabama rescuers, however, camp once a year.

Yes, some lovely log in this thread. The one above (post#10) reminded me of this one...

Carlos & The Birdie Crew found Slimy's Home (Traditional Cache)

Now how do I write this log?.........

First the key.....

WOFTM! = WATCH OUT FOR THE MUD!

IIDTW! = IT IS DEEPER THAN WELLIES!

TMYC! = THIS MEANS YOU CARLOS!

I pulled up and unloaded the bike, followed the FP on my memory map, bumped down a few steps then set of to find Slimy . I rode along the path(?) without any problems at all until.....

I hit the bog/mud/quicksand (take your pick). I eventually stopped and put my foot down, WOFTM! This was the wrong thing to do....

I shall now critisise the cache page, sorry!

Where the cache page refers to slime, IIDTW! should be added to emphasise the fact!

Where an alternative route is suggested then WOFTM! -AND- IIDTW! should be added.

If like me, you neglect to fully read the cache page in detail then expect wet, muddy, slimy and smelly feet/legs. On a bike the muck that comes off the wheels make it, in my case, wet, muddy, slimy and smelly face/back/ams/hands... every bit of me really!

So now I ask a favour - Please add TMYC! too all warnings about anything really cos I got all of the above and would have kicked myself if I could have got a foot out, I was up to my knees after all.

READ THE CACHE PAGE is the best advice I can give on this, don't be a Carlos (= berk).

The only think that made me smile, and it did, was Slimy. He was peeking out at me as I approached and his little face made it all worth while.

I signed the log and forgot all about the fact that me and my bike had just been to the knees and axles respectively.

Thanks for placing the cache, I really enjoyed it if I'm honest [:V]

Carlos but no Birdies cos they're at home and at school.

MrsB :D

Edited by The Blorenges

I figured I'd just go ahead and read this and make that badly needed bathroom break when I was finished. DO NOT READ BEFORE TAKING THAT BADLY NEEDED BATHROOM BREAK!

If you come in from the Alabama side...this is what happens. You follow your GPS to a paved road and bridge, and your GPS points directly at a logging road telling you the ruins are 1/2 mile away. DO NOT GO DOWN THAT ROAD It takes you to the edge of West Point Lake to a dried bottom. DO NOT STEP INTO THE LAKE BED, AS DRIED AS IT APPEARS. We stepped into mud, and had to rereat to the rocky ledge on the naked banks of the lake.

<... stuff deleted, but don't miss it in the original!!>

Edited by knowschad

Here's one of mine

I didn't realize this one was archived. I went gunho trying to find this one. I really earned this DNF. I'm really glad you bought me to this place because now I can show it to others. My stage 2 is close to your original location. Well lets start my days adventures by saying that it was definately a beautiful day for caching. I got to the lock and my gps kept bringing me to the edge of the wall. So I circled around to the middle for a better look of the wall and that's when I saw two possible locations for the cache. I then went back over and looked for a reasonable way down the wall. Took off my shirt, emptied my pockets and over I went. I started to crawl across the wall towards what I thought was the cache. I had several things going against me. Gravity, My robust gut, and my stupidity in not checking the geocaching maps to see if this was still active. Well anyways after the second time I fell in i decided to walk the rest of the way over to the "cache". That dang mud is a lot deeper then it looks. After climbing back up the wall and searching both possible locations I decided it probably wasn't there and after crawling back about 3 feet I fell in for the third time. Knee deep in mud and waist deep in water. I finally dragged my sorry teabag of an arse out of the swamp water and decided that public nudity was a good thing as I wrung out my clothes and dumped out the muck and water from my shoes. At this point I was close to shivering and laughing about the whole scenario. That's when a bug decided to bite me in the nipple. My laughter stopped as the itching began. That itchy feeling is weird enough without adding in the fact that its on your friggin nipple. Well I proceeded to get dressed and started to walk out. The skeeters weren't at all bad until the last quarter mile back out. I think that's when they decided to stop laughing and start biting before I got away. All in all it was my grandest DNF to date and by god I don't normally brag about DNF's but if anyone has ever earned one it was me on this day. Thanx For The Archived Cache. I hope this log makes your day because I'm still laughing about the whole thing. Hope to see you on the trail. Swizzle

<snip>

</snip>

This was HILARIOUS. Thanks for sharing :D

The system seems to have gobbled my actual post. Fortunately, I now hit "CTRL+A, CTRL+C" every time I'm waiting for something to post:

There are a large number of threads devoted to "bad" logs, where "bad" is generally defined as "content-poor" -- those logs containing nothing more than "TNLNSL - TFTC", etc.

I'd like to have a thread about good logs. Post examples of, and links to, logs that have amused and/or impressed you. They do not necessarily have to be long logs, or chock full of photos (tho those are great, too) - I'd love to see examples of short-yet-very-content-rich logs as well as the amazing photojournalism pieces, as a way of showing folks new to Geocaching that you do not, in fact, have to sit down at the computer and spend four hours of photo-editing and typing in order to leave a nice log.

My own contribution is a log by flask, which is pretty short. What makes the log great is its subject matter; this log is a hilarious answer to the type of cache represented by this particular cache.

i came from over here; i've been meaning to come find the williston shopping caches but i just haven't been able to get it together.

no matter. today was just perfect for it, plus i needed to do my grocery shopping. it was a lovely day for a stroll thorough the williston parking lots, scattered showers and all.

and by scattered showers, i mean that it is raining over HERE but not over THERE, given that "here" and there" are two points roughly twenty feet apart.

but wow! i think this is maybe my most favorite parking lot cache ever!

And it's actually the photos that made me really laugh out loud. "Take note of this saucy little number." It's a great lesson: you can be creative about just about anything. : )

I knew who that log was from the first sentence. She's posted logs on several of my caches. I emulated that style a year ago from this Sunday when I had almost an entire day to devote to geocaching. I like the approach of linking one log to another because it allows one to log "the journey" one takes while out cache for a few hours rather than treat each find as an individual entity. Sometimes, there *is* a story to be told about how one gets from one cache to the next.

Well, I don't have anything quite as exciting as some of these, but I've got a few that made me smile

These 2 are both from a very basic cache beside a city park:

May 26 by angelashley1018 (276 found)

Okay so you have to understand what its like caching with two old guys. Everything is way more frustrating to them. I think their patience runs out a lot quicker, and with all their ailments... like bad eye sight, colorblindness, oh man a whole HOST of things, it amazes me that I still go with them. But hey someone has to take them and hold their hand!! Honestly though I love them both to death and we always have a great time. Neither of their GPS were working so of course I am trying to lead them with mine. And then they are hastling me about the clue... when IM SURE I said it a hundred times... yet they say I never said the clue til the end. Well with everything else I had to do, read the GPS, read the clue, read the Co-ords and hold both their hands I must have missed the read the clue OUT LOUD part. lol. Either way we found the stinkin thing... and then we missed the gas station by one min... which was also blamed on who... oh right ME!! lol... overall I had an awsome time in Salmo tonight... with the two bestest old cootes in the WORLD!!

What a great experience for all of us. While looking for the cache a local lama farmer took his pride and joy for a walk. We were able to pet the lama after we found out how to greet it correctly. To do this you should hold your hands at your side of your body, lean forward with your body and exhale through your nose. This way the lama can pick up your scent and be comfortable with you petting it.

While at the cache site we saw a blue heron. What a beautiful bird even if mad as we must have interrupted it.

But i think in all honesty, that this may have been my favorite log of all time. I worked long and hard on this cache (GC1QJ3F), so I was overjoyed to read this:

May 8 by kootenay pirates (6654 found)

Well this is one very cool cache.....the first of it's type that we have ever come across. Had us scratching our heads for a few minutes but then the light came on.

Thanks for the cache.

The rock formations are geological wonders, and, continuing from the Alabama side you must walk over these rocks. DO NOT WALK OVER THESE ROCKS. Some are 8 feet high and six feet wide, and lounges for sun tanning snakes. The first snake you see slivering off the rock into the water will scare you. The second snake you see will make you wonder if there are other snakes around. You will probably want to pick up a stick and carry it in front of you the rest of the way. DO NOT PICK UP A STICK from any pile of sticks washed up on those rocks. We did and found out what REAL snakes do on Sunday afternoons. You can choose at this point to turn back, or decide to suck it up, and continue on. DO NOT SUCK IT UP AND CONTINUE ON. Take your losses and go home.

If you choose to do what we did, you will continue on these beautiful rocks, trying to tell yourself you are having a good time and experiencing something no one else ever gets to experience. Your GPS will indicate you are 534ft from the ruins, but these ruins are across the lake, and the falls, and the slippery rocks.How do you get across? You can wade, swim, or attempt an 8 ft jump over rapids. Wading seems best, because it will wash the mud off your shoes and legs which came from stepping into the dry lake bed. DO NO TRY TO WADE. If the lake bottom is wet and muddy with no water on it, how wet and muddy do you think the lake bottom is with water on top of it? The second alternative is not really an alternative either. The lake is 2 feet deep in most parts, and, you cannot swim in two feet of water. DO NOT TRY TO SWIM IN TWO FEET OF WATER. This leaves the third alternative: Jumping eight feet over the rapids. This entails jumping from one rock to another over running water.

DO NOT TRY TO JUMP ACROSS THE RAPIDS. First of all, unless you are an olympic athlete, you cannot jump eight feet from a standing position. You THINK you can, but you can't. Second, you are jumping UP and and not DOWN, and....well, take my word for it. By God's grace our noisey approach to the ruins caught the attention of a 19 yr old Alabama boy, camping at the ruins since Thursday. After his girl friend put her top on, he responded to us in our plight, trying to yell across the rapids.

DO NOT TRY TO COMMUNICATE BY YELLING ACROSS THE FALLS. You cannot hear, and they cannot hear. Noticing a canoe on the bank I resorted to hand signals and rowing motions. The camper understood. His girlfriend put on some more clothes, he tipped his head towards heaven, finished off a can of something, and jumped in the canoe and rowed toward us. DO NOT STEP INTO A CANOE...CRAWL IN CAREFULLY. Enough said. Our rescuer was an Alabama Tom Sawyer who walked barefooted on rocks, stuck a rusty barbed wire in his foot, and pulled it out, and kept going He grew up around this area, and gave us a barefoot tour, of the whole scene. He walked barefooted through the ruins as if they belonged to him, while we tip toed behind.

Beautiful place. And two of the greatest Alabama kids you could ever hope to meet. They gave us a ride in their truck, back to our car on the Alabama side. The ruins are open 24/7. Our Alabama rescuers, however, camp once a year.

OMG!! I almost had an asthma attack reading this one!!

Here is a write-up on one of our caches. No names are given to protect the guilty.

I drove around in circles most of the afternoon last Saturday trying to find the location of stage two, and after many approaches to various places, some of which clearly merited much higher terrain ratings than 2 1/2, I finally tumbled to the fact that that pesky waypoint graphic was flat lying about which side of the highway GZ was on. I can't recall any other occasion on which a cache hunt has reduced me to tears...! I did arrive at the correct area, but by that time there was too little light left for a proper search. So I thrashed my way back out in increasing dusk, came out after dark a long way from where I went in, hiked back to the van, and went home cold, grumpy, and depressed.

I went out today in early afternoon with plenty of light, and also had the sense to waypoint the van's location this time (I recommend it!) Found it after about twenty minutes, happy ending to sad story. TFTC!