Finding your own caches

Certain cachers in our neck of the woods ,use fake id's to ftf their own caches,this is technically logging their own cached even if it is in another profile.We have several shared hides and we would never dream of logging them,just ignore list so they dont get on ypur nerves.... MooToo

Seems pretty obvious to me that logging a find on your own cache is a bit daft, to say the least, but I can't say I'm going to lose any sleep over it...each to his or her own, I suppose. Ultimately, the game is dependant on a certain degree of honesty, trusting people only to say they've found a cache when they have. I can't say I've ever bothered to cross-check online logs with the logbook on any of my hides, so there you go.

I've got one or two people who have logged finding my caches several times, as they pass by and leave TBs etc. Strictly speaking they should leave notes rather than log finds, but I can't say I'm bothered enough to do anything about it.

Lee

Who on earth would get bothered about this?

That's the great thing about the game of geocaching: It has such a wide variety of "things that one can get bothered about". There're plenty of things that someone, somewhere, will want to know more about/question/discuss/shout about/whine about/write an email to Groundspeak about/commit geocide about...

MrsB :D

Edited to correct grammar (another thing that some people like to get bothered about).

Edited by The Blorenges

Yesterday and today I have had several caches happily adopted by other local caches before I move from the area.

Today I ran a PQ and on the top of the list of unfound caches are 3 of the ones adopted.

Surely I can't log them has found but why then are they flagged up has unfound?

How do others feel, do I visit and log or not?

Wife says no way its cheating but I wanted to see what others thought.

Cheers

Yorkie30

Yesterday and today I have had several caches happily adopted by other local caches before I move from the area.

Today I ran a PQ and on the top of the list of unfound caches are 3 of the ones adopted.

Cheers

Yorkie30

Oooooooooooh! One of the Big Ethical Questions in geocaching! :ph34r:

If you want to get them off your 'unfound' list how about this for an idea? Visit each of those 'previously owned caches', and sign each log book with something like "Farewell dear cache, it was fun while it lasted". Go home and log them as found, with a brief explanation as to the circumstances (if you feel you need to).

Really... do whatever feels OK to you... It's a reoccurring conundrum for every cacher who lets their caches be adopted out.

Good luck with your move. :ph34r:

MrsB

Cheers

Yorkie30

Once you move, they won't be on top of the list.

Move. Now! Don't run another PQ until you've moved! :ph34r:

Cheers

Yorkie30

It's really not that important. If you log finds they disappear from your "unfound caches" list and your find count goes up by 3. What's the big deal if you didn't technically "find" three caches?

But if you do feel it's inappropriate to do that, put them on your ignore list and modify your PQ to omit caches on your ignore list. That's perhaps a "cleaner" approach but it's not as if money or prestige is going to change hands over three smiley faces, right?

When a cacher local to me moved out of the area I adopted three of his caches which I had found some time earlier. They then showed up as my caches which I have found... Did I delete my 'Found It' log for those caches? No I did not... and I have no intention of doing so.

I totally agree.

When a cacher local to me moved out of the area I adopted three of his caches which I had found some time earlier. They then showed up as my caches which I have found... Did I delete my 'Found It' log for those caches? No I did not... and I have no intention of doing so.

Same here. But that's quite different from 'finding' caches that you've actually hidden yourself (which, to me at any rate, seems ludicrous :huh: )

Just a quickie which I am sure will be answered very quickly as usual:

I have seen on a number of cachers stats that they have logged finds on their own caches.

Is that acceptable??

Thanks in advance.

Does it matter?

This isn't the Running Man, you will live at the end of it.

*needs more sleep and possibly a holiday or 16*

Edited by Ryuchan

Just a quickie which I am sure will be answered very quickly as usual:

I have seen on a number of cachers stats that they have logged finds on their own caches.

Is that acceptable??

Thanks in advance.

Generally no, but one two very cheeky occasions yes... mind you by then I'd had them adopted by someone else and I needed to visit them to drop off a clue to another of my geocaches (now also adopted).

I acknowledge it was a cheeky find and I felt rather guilty in doing it...

Also has spent many hours on maint. visits trying to find one of mine, also now adopted by someone else. In fact it got so extreme that on one occasion I was carrying a replacement cache as I was sure mine had been muggled. Of course I instantly found my 'missing' cache - which some helpful person had 'moved'. An event that constantly baffles and perplexes me - that inability to put caches back exactly where you find them... I mean why??