How do you "connect" with other cachers?

Logan_six

I'm really new to geocaching, and until now have only found caches with my husband and kids. However, I'm totally hooked, and have joined a few challenges. One of them (the Washington History Challenge - GCR110) is a challenge that I'm working on, but I need help. LOL At least two of the caches on this particular challenge will not work at all for my husband/kids and I don't want to attempt them solo. So how do the rest of you "connect" with other cachers? Do you run into them at events? by accident while out caching? other? I'd love to know...

Kathy Logan (one of the Logan_six)

P.S. - the caches I "need" to do with other geocachers are SiHi (GC541) and Skagit Delta Labyrinth (GC3A3). Of course, I'm always up for company on the other caches, also! :)

I think the best way to meet up with other cachers is at events, be they monthly meetings, special events or CITO. You get to put a lot of faces to names and also get a feel for real life personalities. Plus events are a lot of fun. I guess I should attend more of them. :)

What WRASTRO said. Hey, there's a CITO at Discovery Park this Saturday, June 20! ;)

Also, simply starting a thread here that you are doing a particular hike and looking for company often works. I've seen many such threads, and there's also the ongoing HOTM (Hike of the Month) thread run by TotemLake. Hey, there's a HOTM at Cougar Mountain this Sunday, June 21! :)

I often hike alone (and yes, I'm female), but it's all about your comfort level and experience in the outdoors. Definitely preferable to hike with others, for a variety of reasons.

Look forward to meeting you soon at an event or on the trails! :D

Thanks for the feedback. We have attended one event so far (a CITO in Mukilteo), but weren't able to stick around for much of the social aspects of it. We live fairly close to Mill Creek, and I don't mind driving a ways to meet others...will definitely have to check out more of the local events!

I loved doing the WA History Challenge! What an awesome adventure.

SiHi is pretty easy to do on your own. There will be billions of people on the trail on any day with fairly decent weather so you don't have to worry about being alone. It's a big climb, but a fun one. The cache titled Geocache (GCD), on the other hand, is out there where you're all alone in the middle 'o nowhere if that bothers you. Awesome location.

Skagit River Delta was my motivation to buy a kayak. The boat has been a lot of fun since. Not sure you really need a companion for that cache, but it is a bit of a journey so it's not a bad idea to have company.

In any case, your question about how to connect probably will help you connect. A note like, "Hey, I want to do Mt Si on ___. Anyone want to join me?" has worked for me.