Geocachign Websites

Hi Everyone,

I have started to make my own website. I thought that this would be a good idea, as for lots of the information i needed about geocaching i have had to search deep into the web for. There is a guide to buying a GPSr, forums and more. I hope the site will be helpful and you may leave feedback on the site so that it know what to improve.

The site address: http://icaching.weebly.com

I hope that the site will be helpful and interesting

Please note that i am still building the site

Edited by William.Banfield

I have started to make my own website. I thought that this would be a good idea, as for lots of the information i needed about geocaching i have had to search deep into the web for. There is a guide to buying a GPSr, forums and more.

I think I've seen a website like that already. Its at "geocaching.com" and "forums.Groundspeak.com".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Your page looks very inviting.

Edited by bittsen

... you may leave feedback on the site so that it know what to improve.

The biggest improvement would be to forward that address to http://forums.Groundspeak.com :)

You may have to look for information here, but that's because everything one might want to know about geocaching can be found here! ;)

From Wikipedia

'Reinventing the square wheel' is the practice of unnecessarily engineering artifacts that provide functionality already provided by existing standard artifacts (reinventing the wheel) and ending up with a worse result than the standard (a square wheel). This is an anti-pattern which occurs when the engineer is unaware or contemptuous of the standard solution or does not understand the problem or the standard solution sufficiently to avoid problems overcome by the standard. It is mostly an affliction of inexperienced engineers, or the second-system effect.

Yes there is a wealth of information here that relates (obviously) to geocaching but it only relates to the way GS does it.

I know my local reviewr has a website dedicated to helping geocachers with the guidlines and local restriction etc.. I wonder how many other reviwers do the samw?

Maybee the website that the OP is creating is an information resource not just for GS listed caches bu caches listed on other sites as well thus creating a centrilised resource that might give pepole the oppertunity to understand the diffrences between diffrent listing sites?

Hi Everyone,

I have started to make my own website. I thought that this would be a good idea, as for lots of the information i needed about geocaching i have had to search deep into the web for. There is a guide to buying a GPSr, forums and more. I hope the site will be helpful and you may leave feedback on the site so that it know what to improve.

The site address: http://icaching.weebly.com

I hope that the site will be helpful and interesting

Please note that i am still building the site

Not much to see yet but the design looks nice.

For information might I suggest http://www.geocacher-u.com/

I am still working on the site. I am about to update. There will be links to other sites. UK geocaching, geocaching.com, navicache... ect.

As a website owner myself, I think it's great that at the very least you're learning a new craft and building the site. But my biggest problem with it is that you advertised it before it has ANY content. I probably would have waited until you get some content as posting in these here forums will bring nothing but ridicule and contempt from a lot of people.

If you are asking for feedback, I would second the suggestion that you create the majority of your content before trying to promote the site. I have been to sites in progress and if they don't have much available then I am unlikely to return again.

Another suggestion is that images should relate to the site's topic. The picture on your home page has no relevance to geocaching.

Another suggestion for good website design is to use correct grammar and spelling.

The pronoun "I" isn't spelled "i"

The word "you're" means "you are" (that sentence should use "your")

Typo in the sentence "Please fell free to upload your pictures"

Numerous misspellings and punctuation errors on the "what GPSr to buy" page

Learn when to use apostrophes and when not to. For example, adding a s to make a word plural doesn't require an apostrophe.

Paperless geocaching is not limited to PDAs. I do paperless caching with my BlackBerry.

If you list a price, show in US dollars in addition to British pounds.

I would remove the forums section. You will likely get very few posts there.

A page with a wide variety of geocaching links would be nice.

Hope I'm not listing too many criticisms, but I think if you want a professional looking site you have to write professionally.

And you did ask for feedback. :)

Good luck!

Learn when to use apostrophes and when not to. For example, adding a an s to make a word plural doesn't require an apostrophe.

'An', not 'a'

If you list a price, show it in US dollars in addition to British pounds.

Fixed it for ya.

I would remove the forums section. You will likely get very few posts there.

Sentence structure, tut tut.

I hope that Hope I'm not listing too many criticisms, but I think that if you want a professional-looking site then you have to write professionally.

Fixed that one, too, sort of. And who said he wants a professional-looking site? Can't geocachers be accepted as they are?

And you did ask for feedback. ;)

The thinly-veiled message 'Get an education in English and learn to write well or don't write at all!' is probably not feedback that is likely to help anyone.

As I saw in an earlier post, "practice what you preech!" :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

'An', not 'a'

Fixed it for ya.

Sentence structure, tut tut.

Fixed that one, too, sort of. And who said he wants a professional-looking site? Can't geocachers be accepted as they are?

The thinly-veiled message 'Get an education in English and learn to write well or don't write at all!' is probably not feedback that is likely to help anyone.

As I saw in an earlier post, "practice what you preech!"

Hi Alabama,

Hey, the guy wanted feedback. Should I look at his site and offer only glowing praise? Or since he seemingly wants to improve his product and asked for suggestions then I could give him that. When he asked for suggestions, what should I have deduced that he was not interested in hearing about?

One could say to me that if I don't have anything positive to say then I shouldn't say anything at all. I'll point out again that he asked for feedback.

If william banfield posts back that he was insulted by my comments then I will gladly apologize to him through this forum and will refrain from offering him additional feedback on his site even when asked.

There was nothing at all about my post that was to imply "Get an education in English."

Edited by steve p