2009 E&Cplus3 personal coin: Still some left!

ECplus3

I would like to show off the artwork for the first ever E&Cplus3 personal coin!

2PAL-00001A01-1crop.jpg

This coin celebrates our family's roots, represented by the flag and rose of Great Britain (for me) and the flag and tulip of the Netherlands (for my wife). It also celebrates our home and native land -- Canada, represented by the maple leaf at the bottom. There is also a little bit of celtic design to represent my family ties to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The BPRD variant logo at the top is our caching avatar from time to time.

The front of the coin, obviously, celebrates our love of geocaching and our team name.

There is a bit of other symbolism in there, but I have to leave something for the obligatory cointest, right? :(

At the suggestion of someone here on the forums, I decided to do all the work on this one from start to finish. I have just approved the above artwork I received from the mint and eagerly await the samples.

The coins will be trackable AND numbered.

Hope you like it!

I'm jealous! :) I've been wanting to mint a personal coin for almost a year now. Can't seem to get the courage and money saved. Ours would be my avatar.

Congrats! Put some up on ebay.. I'll bid on one! I like the flag side the best.

Some may eventually go on eBay, but the plan is to sell most of these by reservation. I'll likely have 4 or 5 platings made. One will be my trade-only personal edition; a couple will be a fixed number limited edition; and one or two will have no limit. I'll order as many as are reserved (plus a few extra).

I'll post the link to the reservation page once the samples arrive.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone!

I've been working on this design since Easter. That phase seemed to take forever and I've been worried that the design wouldn't be to anyone's taste. I guess that doesn't really matter much, since it is MY personal coin. :)

It has only been 20 days since I actually started asking vendors for prices on producing this coin. One of them suggested that I was ready to do the whole thing on my own (thank you so much!)

It has only been 16 days since I contacted a mint.

And now I've spent the money to get dies made... I can't believe this phase has gone so quickly!!

Ooh, I'm getting excited! I woke up this morning to find an email waiting for me saying that the sample coins have been finished and are waiting for the quality control department to inspect them.

If I stay up late enough tonight, I should have pics to post!

I should have the sample coins in my hand sometime next week! :blink:

I finally received pics of the samples! Unfortunately they are very poor quality. :(

These are the best pictures of the whole bunch. There were six coins minted and most of them I can't even tell what finishes are being photographed. The shots are all blurry, most have flash glare washing out the colours or reflecting off the metal.

2PAL-antiquecopperFRONT.jpg

2PAL-antiquecopperBACK.jpg

2PAL-antiquesilverFRONT.jpg

2PAL-antiquesilverBACK.jpg

I'll have to wait til I have them in hand to see what they REALLY look like. I think I like the copper best though, and I don't say that very often!! :D

The samples are in! And I love 'em all! :ph34r:

It's going to be hard to decide which ones to produce, and to choose which one will be my own trade-only version. The didn't turn out exactly the way I had envisioned, but I'm liking what I ended up with. Whether it was miscommunication with the mint (I'm not used to doing it on my own yet), or just some factory worker doin' their own thing I'm not sure.

Rather than raised edges and a 2nd level art deco border under the enamel, the edges and border are the same height and the letters and the Gx logo are raised. This meant that soft enamel had to be used, but I kinda like that look too. I generally like hard enamel, but I think the soft enamel fits with this design.

So here they are:

PHD09_ALL.jpg

The finishes are:

Matte Nickel | Shiny Gold

Black Nickel | Antique Silver

Antique Copper | Shiny Gold on Matte Nickel

PHD0905_front2.jpg

PHD0906_back2.jpg

The samples are in! And I love 'em all! :anicute:

It's going to be hard to decide which ones to produce, and to choose which one will be my own trade-only version. The didn't turn out exactly the way I had envisioned, but I'm liking what I ended up with. Whether it was miscommunication with the mint (I'm not used to doing it on my own yet), or just some factory worker doin' their own thing I'm not sure.

Rather than raised edges and a 2nd level art deco border under the enamel, the edges and border are the same height and the letters and the Gx logo are raised. This meant that soft enamel had to be used, but I kinda like that look too. I generally like hard enamel, but I think the soft enamel fits with this design.

So here they are:

PHD09_ALL.jpg

The finishes are:

PHD0905_front2.jpg

PHD0906_back2.jpg

Very nice indeed, well done my friends!!

The samples are in! And I love 'em all! :anicute:

So here they are:

PHD09_ALL.jpg

The finishes are:

PHD0905_front2.jpg

PHD0906_back2.jpg

coins look awsome

Edited by jasondulac