2009 E&Cplus3 personal coin: Still some left!

ECplus3

Based solely on the design of our 2009 personal coin, what is one of my favourite sports, and what team do I cheer for?

1. Rugby

2. RFU

Opalsns

Ding ding! We have a winner! :(

logo.gif

PHD0905_back.jpg

The Rugby Football Union is the national governing body for elite rugby in England. Rugby has been my favourite sport since I was a kid, followed closely by soccer. I have to admit that I am not a very good Canadian... hockey doesn't even make the list of sports I watch. While I always cheer for The New Zealand All Blacks in Tri Nations matches, when it comes to the World Cup of Rugby, I cheer for England.

Congratulations Opalsns for your persistance! :)

There is still 24 hours to go in the cointest for the random draw. Anyone who wishes to participate, just post a fact about Canada. Please stick to the one post per hour rule though.

Canada tis the home of many great inventions, including: basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, standard time, the television, the telephone, and the zipper. :(

Thank you for the cointest! I meant to guess in the first part of the cointest but, never got around to looking at the coin. :)

Edited by Howlingmoon

I am an American, but I am a huge fan of Canada's pasttime - Ice Hockey! One of my favorite stories is the origin of the term "Hat Trick" as used in hockey to refer to a player who scores 3 goals in the same game.

From Wikipedia: "The earliest account of a hat being awarded for scoring three goals is known to have occurred in Toronto when a local businessman, Sammy Taft, was approached by Chicago Black Hawks forward Alex Kaleta. According to legend, Kaleta entered Taft's shop to purchase a new hat but didn't have enough money. Taft arranged a deal with Kaleta stipulating that if Kaleta scored three goals as he played the Toronto Maple Leafs that night, he would give him a free hat. That night, on January 26, 1946, Kaleta scored four goals against the Maple Leafs and Taft made good on his offer.

...This account is credited by the Hockey Hall of Fame as the hat trick's origin in the NHL."

I am an American, but I am a huge fan of Canada's pasttime - Ice Hockey! One of my favorite stories is the origin of the term "Hat Trick" as used in hockey to refer to a player who scores 3 goals in the same game.

From Wikipedia: "The earliest account of a hat being awarded for scoring three goals is known to have occurred in Toronto when a local businessman, Sammy Taft, was approached by Chicago Black Hawks forward Alex Kaleta. According to legend, Kaleta entered Taft's shop to purchase a new hat but didn't have enough money. Taft arranged a deal with Kaleta stipulating that if Kaleta scored three goals as he played the Toronto Maple Leafs that night, he would give him a free hat. That night, on January 26, 1946, Kaleta scored four goals against the Maple Leafs and Taft made good on his offer.

...This account is credited by the Hockey Hall of Fame as the hat trick's origin in the NHL."

It is quite strange to think that a star hockey player in the 40s didn't earn enough to have the money on hand to buy a hat! As I mentioned before, my father tried out for the Red Wings in the 50s, but opted to join the Canadian Navy because it payed better and he would have a pension.

Congrats opalsns!!!! :(

Let's see now... what to write about Canada....

Canada is one of the countries that except the normal legal tender banknotes, has local currencies too!!!

Some cities, places or companies... print their own banknote series which are used localy in shops, caffeterias....

Some of them are the Torondo dollar, the Salt Spring island dollar and the Calgary dollar (which I am still missing). They are series of notes complete!

Except these there is a Canadian tire company wh prints its own currency too!!!

You can see photos here!!

Salt sring island 5 $ note both sides!

ss5-front.jpg

ss5-back.jpg

Torondo dollar, 1$ both sides

CanPUNL1Dollar31122003.jpg

CanPUNL1Dollar31122003r.jpg

Calgary dollar, 5 $ note! I only found one side to show! Sorry!

calgarydollars.jpg

Canadian Tire company, 10cents note

canada_tire_money_10_cent.jpg

The name Canada comes from a Wendat (Huron-Iroquoian) word, kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement".

In 1535, inhabitants of the area near present-day Quebec City used the word to direct the French explorer Jacques Cartier towards the village of Stadacona, a settlement on the site of present-day Quebec City.

Another contemporary translation of kanata was "land".

Cartier used the word 'Canada' to refer to not only that village, but the entire area subject to Donnacona, Chief at Stadacona.

By 1547, maps made by early European explorers show that the name rivière de Canada was given to the nearby St. Lawrence River; the river was called Kaniatarowanenneh ("big waterway") in Mohawk, coincidentally and reinforcingly similar to kanata.

While the First Nations origin for the name Canada is now generally accepted, other possible explanations have been put forward in the past. One theory suggested that the name originated when Spanish explorers, not having explored the northern part of the continent, wrote acá nada ("nothing here") on that part of their maps.

A similar tale credits Portuguese explorers who, upon seeing the eastern coastline, declared a similar sentiment (cá nada há).

However, the Spanish word for the country, Canadá, has an accent over the last letter, and sounds very little like acá nada. (The word canada without the accent does exist in the Spanish language and means "greyed" as in hair.)

It is quite strange to think that a star hockey player in the 40s didn't earn enough to have the money on hand to buy a hat! As I mentioned before, my father tried out for the Red Wings in the 50s, but opted to join the Canadian Navy because it payed better and he would have a pension.

Good point. And now they get paid much more than they are worth, IMO. The "normal" fan like me cannot afford to go to a game, so we are not paying their slaaries anymore.

Here are Alex Kaleta's career stats...nothing spectacular:

Alex Kaleta

Left Wing

Born Nov 29 1919 -- Canmore, ALTA

Height 5.11 -- Weight 160 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1941-42 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 47 7 21 28 24 3 1 2 3 0

1945-46 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 49 19 27 46 17 4 0 1 1 2

1946-47 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 57 24 20 44 37 -- -- -- -- --

1947-48 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 52 10 16 26 40 -- -- -- -- --

1948-49 New York Rangers NHL 56 12 19 31 18 -- -- -- -- --

1949-50 New York Rangers NHL 67 17 14 31 40 10 0 3 3 0

1950-51 New York Rangers NHL 58 3 4 7 26 -- -- -- -- --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 386 92 121 213 202 17 1 6 7 2

Hmm... ok, something else for Canadian numismatics that I haven't post in any other cointest for Canada!

Until 1967 Canadian 10c, 25c etc... were silver! In 1968 they were changed into a non silver content coins you probably have until now!

BUT...!!!! Actually in 1968 some of the 10c and the 25c were made in silver and some not! What I am saying....

Canada minted 3 different coins in that year, with the same design!!!

All silver coins of Canada until 1967 were made of 80% pure silver!

In 1968 Canada mint made silver coins with 80% silver, then they made coins with redused silver content, 50% pure silver and later that year, they made coins with not silver at all!!!

I am always talking about the 10cent and 25 cent coins of 1968!!!

Now... how to tell the differense??? Except from the color, you can easily find the non silver coins with a magnet! they are magnitized!

Now the silver coins.... it is difficult to see if you are holding a 80% silver coin or a 50% silver one! I think with a accurate skale you can see that! The 80% silver coin is heavier, but not a lot heavier than the other... that is why you need a really good scale!!! :blink:

So.. check your shange... and if you find any doubles.... let me know! :blink:

I'll tell you a fact about Canada: now that I am not in it, I miss it terribly...

It is the only nation that has Timmies

1.jpg

Hey my dear friend!!! How are you??? :blink:

I just saw it.... you were in Calgary!!! While you were there.... did you see from close the Calgary dollars?? I am talking about the local currency banknotes they have there!

I am wondering if they are widely known there or if they are only for a small part of Calgary.... for some stores and shops only....

Canada flag as we know it now, made its first appearance on February 15, 1965; the date is now celebrated annually as National Flag of Canada Day.

The new flag replaced the Union flag Canada had! The union flag is still an official flag in Canada, used as a symbol of Canada's membership in the Commonwealth of Nations, and of its allegiance to the Crown.

The Union Flag makes a component of other Canadian flags, including the provincial flags of British Columbia, Manitoba and Ontario.

Oh MAN I love Tim Horton's!

Congrats to opalsns on part one of the cointest!

EA Canada (creators of FIFA soccer games and SSX among other video games) is in Vancouver.

They used to own a smaller studio called EA Seattle which was actually in Bellevue where I worked for four years before heading back to grad school in California.

Canadian and personal trivia! :blink:

There was a great movie, once upon a time, called Canadian Bacon. This is a very funny movie, and stars John Candy, who was born in Toronto.

Elaborating on this point a bit (from Wikipedia):

The film has a notably high number of cameos by Canadian actors. As an example, Dan Aykroyd, who is Canadian, appears in the movie uncredited as an Ontario Provincial Police officer. He stops Sheriff Boomer's truck which has anti-Canadian graffiti painted on it in English and lets Boomer and his "heroes" go after the truck has been spraypainted with the graffiti translated into French. This scene was filmed along the Niagara Parkway in Niagara-on-the-Lake, north of Niagara Falls, Ontario.

And one scene where anti-Canadian propaganda is shown on US TV has pictures of well-known Canadian celebrities in the US including William Shatner, Mike Myers, Monty Hall, Michael J. Fox, and Alex Trebek.

And the winning random post is....

#150 GATOULIS!!

Would both winners please contact me with your mailing address and the finish you would like.

Congrats, Gat! You won a beautiful coin!

Thanx for the cointest. For some reason, I love Canadian stuff, so I really liked this cointest, and I really like the coins you have designed. (Did you get Don Cherry's permission for the CNIC coin? LOL!)

Bank of Canada announced on February 6, 2007, that it plans to issue the next generation of banknotes in 2011! This is an attempt to stay ahead of counterfeiters.

so... even if your banknotes are fantastic, you will have a new series in 2011!!! :blink:

Wait.... I won??? :blink: WOW!!!! :blink: Thank you so much!!! :angry:

I will email you right away my friend!!! :laughing:

Edited by GATOULIS

I'll tell you a fact about Canada: now that I am not in it, I miss it terribly...

1.jpg

Hey my dear friend!!! How are you??? :blink:

I just saw it.... you were in Calgary!!! While you were there.... did you see from close the Calgary dollars?? I am talking about the local currency banknotes they have there!

I am wondering if they are widely known there or if they are only for a small part of Calgary.... for some stores and shops only....

Congrats to the winners....

Just an FYI...Lots of Tim's in the Detroit area. Almost as many as Starbucks.

1.jpg

Hey my dear friend!!! How are you??? :D

Yes, and a couple as far "south" as Ohio as I recall on our last trip to Florida -- but really, they need to spread a bit more. I am still wondering where y'all Americans buy your coffee eh?? lol! :rolleyes:

And TeamEccs21, you have family in Oshawa?? What a small world! I live in Oshawa!

Congrats Gatoulis! Are you missing any Canadian Tire money from your collection?? It's not mint but I have a stack of it...

1.jpg

Hey my dear friend!!! How are you??? :)

WHAT? :rolleyes::D:blink::D Traitors... :) Of course we have no Timmies here in Australia :) but luckily it is a 'coffee culture' kinda place so I can get decent coffee. Maccas (McDonalds) has opened up something called a McCafe which I think is only in Oz....

When I visited Canada in July I came back with a suitcase full of Starbucks espresso. I am set for a while :)

1.jpg

OH - you are wrong! They are here in MAINE! :D:blink: And at least one has Cold Stone Ice Cream, too! :D:):):) Which is very nice!

Love Timmies - always enjoyed and not it is close to home........has Drunkin' beat by a whole lot! JMHO :rolleyes:

1.jpg

OH - you are wrong! They are here in MAINE! :):) And at least one has Cold Stone Ice Cream, too! :):D:D:) Which is very nice!

Love Timmies - always enjoyed and not it is close to home........has Drunkin' beat by a whole lot! JMHO :)

NY has quite a few. We passed maybe 10 when out caching last weekend.

1.jpg

Hey my dear friend!!! How are you??? :rolleyes:

Yes, and a couple as far "south" as Ohio as I recall on our last trip to Florida -- but really, they need to spread a bit more. I am still wondering where y'all Americans buy your coffee eh?? lol! ;)

And TeamEccs21, you have family in Oshawa?? What a small world! I live in Oshawa!

Congrats Gatoulis! Are you missing any Canadian Tire money from your collection?? It's not mint but I have a stack of it...

Oh boy!!! I just saw this post!!! Thank God I entered again to post that I received my coin!!! :ph34r:

If I am missing any Canadian Tire money???? :anibad: I only have one probably old, in bad condition!!! you have a stack of it??? WOW!!!

I know that there are many series, but I actually do not understand where they are spendable...

Are they for gas stations??? the one I have is a black one of 50c! I do not know from when it is or from which series!

I have an other "note" that I think it is from canada, but I am not sure.... It is in French and English, so I guess it is Canadian....

It is a 5c note that says... Cash Premium, and .... Le Groupe Rona! Do you know anything about this? does anyone knows??? It was found in an old church book, and it was used to show the page...

today I recieved the coin I won!!! WOW!!! the copper is fantastic!!!!! It really shows all the details so good!!!!! I have the feeling that antique copper is the best version to show the details of the coin!!!!

thank you so much my dear friend!!!! It is a fantastic coin!!!!! WOW!!!!!