Need help deciding between Oregon and Colorado

2shibas

I'm new to this and have narrowed my choices down to the Oregon 300 and the Colorado 300. My primary uses will be, in order of importance:

1. Trail use

2. Boating

3. Geocaching

4. In the car

Which model would work best for these?

My next question is about the maps for them. There seems to be so many choices. Do you have to use Garmin maps or will other brand maps work? Some maps are regional specific. Do these maps offer more detail then if you buy the map for the whole USA? I was looking at the Topo and Bluechart maps. Thank you for your help and I look forward to your replies.

Dean

If you are strictly limiting the choice between those 2 units, I would go with the Oregon 300. I actually perfer the Colordao 300 myself but mostly for its striong Geocaching performance and slightly better reception. However, at least a few users report some degree of waterproofness issues - so if boating is important - I'd go with the Oregon.

Given your list of priorities and uses, I might actually suggest a Garmin 76CSx. Excellent feature set for trail use and it floats for boating. Only big drawback is no native, easy paperless Geocaching.

If you want autorouting in the unit - your only choice for mapping is the Garmin maps. Hopwever, there are a number of free maps available for other uses - www.gpsfiledepot.com - all very nice and accurate but no turn by turn autorouting.

I also considered the 76csx but decided against because it doesn't have paperless Geocaching.

Regarding the maps. Would it be a good idea to buy the cheaper 300 instead of the 400 and download the free maps? How do the free Topo maps compare to the Garmin branded maps?

I also considered the 76csx but decided against because it doesn't have paperless Geocaching.

Regarding the maps. Would it be a good idea to buy the cheaper 300 instead of the 400 and download the free maps? How do the free Topo maps compare to the Garmin branded maps?

The free topo maps have as much if not more detail compared to Garmin.

The free topo maps have as much if not more detail compared to Garmin.

On the other hand, the free topo map versions (and I have created a few myself) do not include any waypoints.

After doing even more research the Delorme PN-40 also looks attractive. They also offer a cheap map download option. The more I look the tougher my decision gets. The big thing holding me back from the Oregon are the display complaints in bright sunlight, I've read about in reviews. I live in Florida so that can be a problem. Please help with my decision.