Help with co-ordinates

:(

We are still pretty much new to all this and use a nice basic GPSr to which we cannot download caches! We for obvious reasons are still therefore printing out our caches to find and go off armed with reams of paper...! When faced with the possibility of doing a number of caches in an area, I thought it would be much better simply to use the 'download waypoints' facility on the GC list of caches, and simply print that, thereby having a long list of caches all on one sheet of paper.

But alas - as I found out in Windsor last week - the co-ordinates it downloads are nothing like those on the cache page itself and in many cases aren't even valid co-ordinates... It's the same with my pocket queries!

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong????

We are still pretty much new to all this and use a nice basic GPSr to which we cannot download caches! We for obvious reasons are still therefore printing out our caches to find and go off armed with reams of paper...! When faced with the possibility of doing a number of caches in an area, I thought it would be much better simply to use the 'download waypoints' facility on the GC list of caches, and simply print that, thereby having a long list of caches all on one sheet of paper.

But alas - as I found out in Windsor last week - the co-ordinates it downloads are nothing like those on the cache page itself and in many cases aren't even valid co-ordinates... It's the same with my pocket queries!

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong????

Which type off coordinates are you trying to use

below is the different types for a cache that is local to me, these are all for the same location. You need to select the one that match the setting on your GPS. the ones in red are the standard that are used by GC, the one in green are for OS map references.

set your gps to the wgs84 ddd mm.mmm and enter the co-ord from the cache page and this should get you where you need to be.

Normal GPS Coordinates (WGS84 Datum)

Decimal 50.8214 -0.66248

DDD MM.MMM N 50° 49.284 W 000° 39.749

DDD MM SS.SSS N 50° 49' 17.0400" W 0° 39' 44.9388"

Older Datum (NAD27)

DECIMAL 50.82243 -0.66475

DDD MM.MMM N 50° 49.346 W 000° 39.885

DDD MM SS.SSS N 50° 49' 20.7408" W 0° 39' 53.1072"

UTM (WGS84 Datum)

30U E 664642 N 5632568

British Grid

103288 494310

hope this helps

It sounds like a Datum Setting on your GPS issue.

Settings are

WGS 84

Position Format: hddd°mm.mmm

Map Datum WGS: 84

OS GB

Position Format: British Grid

Map Datum: Ord Srvy GB

If either Datum is set wrong, this can lead to a positional error of several hundred feet/metres.

Deci

Oh dear - I don't think I explained very well! Or maybe I did and don't understand the answer!

Perhaps if I can show an example, someone can explain to me what I need to do!

Cache GC1TP0V

On the cache page - co-ordinates show as N 51° 36.798 W 001° 56.861

If I use that on my GPS - it will be fine and I will arrive at GZ.

BUT - if I look at the same cache on the pocket query data, it reads as follows: N51.61330 W001.94768

So - if I have any inkling of what you are saying above, does that mean I can use the co-ordinates in the PQ if I change the settings on my nice basic little GPSr?

*I am feeling very dumb*

Oh dear - I don't think I explained very well! Or maybe I did and don't understand the answer!

Perhaps if I can show an example, someone can explain to me what I need to do!

Cache GC1TP0V

On the cache page - co-ordinates show as N 51° 36.798 W 001° 56.861

If I use that on my GPS - it will be fine and I will arrive at GZ.

BUT - if I look at the same cache on the pocket query data, it reads as follows: N51.61330 W001.94768

So - if I have any inkling of what you are saying above, does that mean I can use the co-ordinates in the PQ if I change the settings on my nice basic little GPSr?

*I am feeling very dumb*

Basically yes

what device are you using?

how old?this may let us know what the real problem is.

What application/programme do you use to get the PQ data into the GPS?

I don't - it is the basic model and I enter co-ordinates manually. When I download waypoints either from GC.com or open a pocket query, it opens in easyGPS and I can then print one page but have lots of caches showing - better than printing every cache page! Or it would be if I could use those different co-ordinates!

Cache GC1TP0V

N 51° 36.798 W 001° 56.861

N51.61330 W001.94768

Both are correct, and point to the same spot...

MapIt! if the co-ords are put into the page they point to the same spot. (Same as the cache page!)

Question is: Why does the Pocket Query change the format?

And the answer is?? :(

N 51° 36.798 W 001° 56.861 and N51.61330 W001.94768 are the same location.

N 51° 36.798 W 001° 56.861 is in the default format used by most GPS manufacturers and so was adopted by Groundspeak as the format in which cache locations would be displayed on their website. It is a format which is convenient for people to use.

N51.61330 W001.94768 is in the format specified by the GPX specification for use when transferring GPS data between computer systems. It is a format which is convenient for programmers to use.

The format is owned by topografix and Groundspeak have simply chosen to use it.

EasyGPS

Select correct Coordinates Format

Edit> Preferences> My Coordinate Formats

Add Format: hddd mm.mmm

Datum: World Geodetic System 1984

Click OK.

How's that working?

Oh thank you!!!! :(

That is so much better!

And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to patiently explain all this to me.

I grasped that they were the same place, but not how to change them and then use the co-ords I was familiar with on my GPSr!

Have to admit that it will soon be time to upgrade to a better device - I have a permanently numb index finger using this manual contraption!

*skips off happily*

That's the only one listed anyway - and it works perfectly!! Thank you so much xxx

Glad to help!

EasyGPS should be able to send the co-ords to the GPS, that should save having to enter them manually...

But the basic Etrex h doesn't have a way off being connected to the PC????

Now if anyone knows better......... :(

I can't see how that would connect but I will make further enquiries!!! And I still have the box somewhere which I guess may have some information in it!

The amazon link, also has the adaptor for £5

Looking at the Garmin site, they no longer supply the cable for the lower end units.

If you need help, just shout!

edit to add:

The back of the GPS should look like this, if it accepts a cable-

datacable_connection.jpg

(That units upside down! The connection point is at the top on the back)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi there

I've just bought a USB connecting cable for my Garmin Etrex H on a well known auction site. From the USA but even with postage still cost less than £15.00 and only took 4 days to arrive!

It was the cheapest I could fine and it's a bonus being USB rather than seriel port connection.

Works fine.

Hi there

I've just bought a USB connecting cable for my Garmin Etrex H on a well known auction site. From the USA but even with postage still cost less than £15.00 and only took 4 days to arrive!

It was the cheapest I could fine and it's a bonus being USB rather than seriel port connection.

Works fine.

Hi does yours have the same connectors on the back of the GPS as shown earlier in this thread.

i have a cable but have just today sold it along with the unit.

But i found that my PC with a seriel port would not connect to mine! hence selling it.

Agghhh! Ordered!!!!

Wasn't me that made you do it!

I take no blame, or responsibility, what-so-ever!!!

TIP. Don't try to load 500 waypoints into your unit.

GPX files contain more than just the waypoint for the cache.

eg suggested car parking, start of the path, multi waypoints etc.

Loading 30 caches could give you 50 waypoints.