non GS.com listed benchmark

wvhillbilly59

While riding my bicycle about 10 miles away from my home I found a benchmark set by the USGS with the printing as far as I can tell PRIM TRAV STA N0 25 MAC and dated 1923. The nearest nearest GC.com listed bench mark to the location is listed as LC0529. I can't find any others in Illinois - this one is in central Illinois and the nearest towns are Ellsworth, where LC0529 is, or Cooksville, both Illinois - that have listings starting with "Prim Trav Sta". There is one AN1579, in Texas and MD0195, in Ohio, both with similar designations.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on this benchmark?

I have a photo but can't figure out how to download it into here without first having it somwhere on the web.

Thanks.

bob

P.S. I did look in the USGS county list with no luck.

I have a picture of it on my blog at http://bicyclegpsing.blogspot.com/

Edited by wvhillbilly59

As we read over your post again, we wonder whether (a) there is a USGS county list that we've never heard of, or (B) you may be confusing the USGS (United States Geological Survey) with NGS (National Geodetic Survey). If the former, we apologize for suspecting the confusion, since you are well aware that the USGS set many thousands of disks that are not in the NGS database, and a relatively small number that are.

Good hunting!

Edited by m&h