Colorado 400t intermittent power issue

I have recently run across a problem where my auto adapter seems to be pulling down my batteries. I have about 5 sets of 2650mA NiMh batteries which are well conditioned and for some reason lately my auto adapter has been causing them to drain completely in about 30 minutes. This is an intermittent problem, but is driving me nuts. The unit seem to work fine until I plug it into the auto adapter and when I remove it the batteries are completely drained. I can run off the adapter with the batteries out and everything is fine. Garmin says they have never heard of the problem. Funny they seem to have never heard of any problems. This is the fifth 400t that I've had so obviously the Colorado has had problems. Oh! lest I forget to tell you, I have two auto adaptors and they are both Garmin. Any suggestions? Yes, I do know the obvious one....:D:anicute:

I just sent my second one back due to a sporadic wheel and the "enter" button no longer working. I too have had problems with the CO when connected to the car adapter. It shuts off on its own and usually takes several attempts to get it back up. A far as the battery issue, have you made sure the CO is not set to record air pressure intermittently???

Geniune Garmin car adapter or third-party?

While I've had no problems with third-party adapters, you might be using one that doesn't supply enough juice and confuses the Garmin's power circuitry and/or is shorting a pin that Garmin adapters don't.

I believe some Motorola car adapters short the USB data pins together as part of Motorola's method of signaling a dumb charger to the device, there's a possibility this might draw current from the Garmin.

Geniune Garmin car adapter or third-party?

While I've had no problems with third-party adapters, you might be using one that doesn't supply enough juice and confuses the Garmin's power circuitry and/or is shorting a pin that Garmin adapters don't.

I believe some Motorola car adapters short the USB data pins together as part of Motorola's method of signaling a dumb charger to the device, there's a possibility this might draw current from the Garmin.

Yes, I am using 2 separate Garmin adaptors and both do the same thing. I just noticed something strange. After running for about 20 minutes on newly recharged batteries I get the message that the adaptor is not recognized and no adaptor is attached. If I check the battery power it's in the red again. Also I can't set the altitude. It tells me to check the manual. I think I know more about altitude then this pos does. It won't take either the altitude in feet or the pressure in millibars. Also for those that asked it runs alkaline batteries down just as fast. Almost like it has a direct short. I have also noticed that it loses satellite reception and has to rebuild the almanac occasionally after a battery failure. A hard reset had no effect what-so-ever.

I have noticed this with my 2500mA NiMh batteries. I just thought it was because the batteries hadn't been charged in a while and they went bad now i'm not so sure

I saw a post someplace that said Garmin had planed at one time to make the CO's so you could recharge the batteries. so maybe there is a "bug" in the firmware that doesn't completely close the battery connection when you have NiMh set in set-up and plug in the auto power supply so its still using battery power along with the plug in power

Edited by wvsar

I think you have change the setting on the Colorado so that the unit will give you that option when you connect it to external power. Tools>System>Spanner Mode.

Thats what I was thinking too. I went to spanner mode and changed it and never had the problem. I set my spanner mode for "Garmin Spanner".

On mine it's "setup" "system" to get to the interface mode (4th option down, I believe)